Providence, RI to Woodstock Suggested stops along the way

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Monday, Oct 3rd, I'm leaving Providence airport around 9am and heading to Woodstock where I have a reservation for two nights. On Wed, the 5th I am flying back home to California from Manchester NH airport with my plane leaving around 3:10pm.

I am trying to decide what stops to make on my way to Woodstock and would like to get off the Interstate and see some of the towns along the way. People have mentioned Grafton and Weston. Looks like I can cut through Connecticut getting on to I91 and then get off on VT 121 to Grafton. Map says that woud take about 3 hours.

After leaving Grafton, I would cut over to 100, stop in Weston and then take 100 to 4 to Woodstock. Looks like 100 from Ludlow to Bridgewater is now open although maybe only one lane in places. I guess from Weston I could take take 131 back to I91 and the Interstate to 4 to Woodstock to avoid delays on 100 but that also seems out of the way. I'd like to get to Woodstock before dark.

Is going to both Grafton and Weston too much for one day? I will be traveling alone but love to drive and love winding, back country roads. If it's too much, which would be the best stop? Or if I only did one of the towns, what would be some other stops along the way?

I will then have all day Tuesday to drive and look at foliage, see Woodstock and am thinking about the Quechee Gorge. Looking at the Foliage report I may need to go north from Woodstock or west on 4 towards Rutland. I'm sure my hosts at my B&B can give me some updated information on foliage. Wednesday, I'd like to see Dartmouth on my way to Manchester Airport.

Thanks for all your help. This is my first time to Vermont and first time to see foliage although my DDs and I spent quite a bit of time in New Hampshire 2 summers ago and just loved it.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Help me out here: Woodstock NY, CT, or VT? Grafton MA, NY, or CT? Weston MA or Weston CT or Weston VT? (Not joking -- I can't figure out what your plan is.)
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Ok I get it. You are heading straight to Vermont and then tooling around the little towns. Here are some thoughts.

1. If you like scenic little roads and towns, most of CT and MA west of I-91 would also do that for you. You might want to stop for lunch in Northampton MA (just off I-91), which has a reputation as a foodie destination town -- plenty to choose from. (What do you like to eat?)

2. MA Rt 2 west of I-91, is a scenic highway with lots of overlooks and views. You could take it to Williamstown MA and then travel up Rt 7 through the Green Mountain National Forest.

3. The above ideas presume you are willing to dawdle on your way to VT. If you do drive straight up I-91 instead, then yes, you can get there by noon and have the rest of the afternoon to visit both towns. Sounds ok, barring road problems from the recent floods -- but you seem to be on top of that. Other nice towns to visit on the way: Greenfield MA, Deerfield MA, Shelburne Falls MA, Brattleboro VT.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

capxxx-Sorry for not being clear about Woodstock, Vt. I did know there were other Woodstocks but didn't realize there were so many of the other towns in surrounding states. Also sorry for saying I would cut across Conneticut to get to I91. Although I could go that way, it would be longer so I'll be going though MA to get to I91.

Yes I'd like to dawdle on this trip but not sure where to dawdle LOL. I'd planned to do that in Vermont but you've pointed out other good stops. I'd been thinking about stopping in Brattleboro but didn't know if I have enough time. Is there anything specific to see in the other towns you mentioned? The MA Rt2 to RT 7 seems nice but looks a little out of my way. I will check out Northhampton as I am a bit of a foodie and like to eat just about anything.

Just not sure if I should spend more time in MA or Vermont on the way to Woodstock, VT.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 02:44 AM

Yankee Magazine's website promotes scenic drives. Jeff Folger has his own website with a long list of helpful links plus frequent reports of where color is happening.
http://jeff-foliage.com/

If you have time on your last day and assuming you are traveling I89 to I93, you could make a quick stop at Gould Hill Orchard in Hopkinton. It's close to I89, just off Rt 103. Nice view from their parking lot and a lot of different apple varieties. If you get off I89 in Warner (exit 9?), Rt 103 is nice, winding thru the towns of Warner, Contoocook and Hopkington pretty much paralleling I89. It brings you into downtown Concord where you can turn right onto S Main St and get on I93 at exit 13.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM

What the towns have (I was thinking of them as candidates for stop-stroll-have lunch):

Northampton. A lively downtown scene with interesting shops and food, good for strolling around. Here are 5 good choices for lunch: Paul and Elizabeth's (sandwiches and vegetarian) Green Street Cafe (upscale nouvo), Amanouz Cafe (morrocan), Northampton Brewery (brewpub, sandwiches), Spoleto (Italian, pricey).

Deerfield. `Historic Deerfield' is a preserved neighbor hood/museum of homes from the 1700s, nice to walk around in. There is a butterfly conservatory (Magic Wings) and Yankee Candle's flagship store (impressive, if you like that sort of thing). The Deerfield Inn has traditional Yankee Inn food.

Shelburne Falls. The town is divided by a scenic waterfall. Lots of artist shops and small restaurants. There is a ``bridge of flowers'' (a bridge re-configured to be a park, sort of). There is a Trolley Museum and a Lamson & Goodnow (cutlery) outlet store.

Greenfield. Nice-looking down town. I guess I thought of it because of all the music, arts, hot air ballon festivals -- maybe there is something going on on your dates. Great food at Hope and Olive, the People's Pint, Mesa Verde Restaurant.

Brattleboro. Also a nice downtown for walking around in, quite a number of art galleries. There is a good brewpub downtown. The town is still recovering from flood damage, though, so I don't know what may be closed.

(I don't mean to promote MA over VT -- I just know more about it...)
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

dfrost-Thanks for your help with sights in New Hampshire. I hadn't really planned yet where I was going to stop on my drive from Woodstock to Manchester, NH, so your suggestions are a big help.

cap-I also appreciate the help with MA. I'm sure I'll be making some stops along the way through MA.

I received an email from the owner of the B&B in Woodstock, that Highway 100 is open in all directions. There may be some small delays but I should be able to drive from Grafton to Weston and then on into Woodstock. I hope this is doable timewise but I'll just see what I can. The State of Vermont has done a remarkable job of getting the roads repaired in time for fall foliage. I will be there in a couple of days and can't wait.