Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Philadelphia Area Museum of Medical Curiosities...? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/philadelphia-area-museum-of-medical-curiosities-340243/)

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 23rd, 2003 11:49 AM

Philadelphia Area Museum of Medical Curiosities...?

So my mom now lives in Bucks County and, after managing to avoid it since this past October, is now ready to explore Philadelphia itself. I did a day trip in to see a client and am hooked! Great town.

Anyway, Mom has it in her head that there is a museum of medical curiosities somewhere in the Phillie area. She saw it on Discover Channel, I imagine. And she wants to go. Bad.

"Why?!" I ask, a bit appalled.

"Feet pickled in bottles!! What the hell else?!?" she yells back, amazed that I'd even ask.

So, gentle Fodorites, where is this museum? Is it in the downtown area, near a SEPTA train stop, or is it a drive? Her sense of direction was horrible when she was young, and I have nightmares of finding her picture on a milk carton some day: "Have you seen me? I went looking for the Blockbuster on PA 309 and was never seen again."

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :)

elberko Jul 23rd, 2003 11:53 AM

It's called the Mutter Museum

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 23rd, 2003 11:54 AM

So quick...!! Thanks for the name. Have you been? Where is it located? Is it worth the trip? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Just kidding. Must be the caffeine in my Diet Coke (c) ....

BTilke Jul 23rd, 2003 11:55 AM

Your mom is interested in the Mutter Museum. It's located on 22nd street, right in the heart of town (near Market Street), easily reached by foot, cab or bus from either 30th Street or Suburban Station.
The museum is just there for its gawk factor, it was/is an educational tool. For more info, check:
http://www.collphyphil.org/muttpg1.shtml

BTilke Jul 23rd, 2003 11:56 AM

Oops, should be it's NOT just there for its gawk factor.

elberko Jul 23rd, 2003 11:59 AM

You couldn't pay me to go there...

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 23rd, 2003 12:07 PM

BTilke: Thanks for the thorough information. I'll send my sister with her-- she has better direction sense. And then they can walk around the area-- I thought it was a beautiful downtown!

elberko: I see your point. It sounds kinda ghoulish, but then again, my whole family has always had one foot in the medical services field (as vendors, providers or patients), and Mom has a sense of the macabre that still shocks me. So what the hell-- let her go look at the pickled feet, I say!

Mcat Jul 23rd, 2003 12:10 PM

It's a fascinating place if you like medical oddities. I've been there a few times - although once should suffice - and always recommend it to visitors. I mean where else can you see the world's largest colon, abnormal fetuses in jars, and the soap lady? Allow about an hour.

elberko Jul 23rd, 2003 12:11 PM

Wasn't trying to discourage some one else.

Just not my cup of formaldehyde...

Scarlett Jul 23rd, 2003 12:12 PM

rjw,
I would not want to go there, weak and wimpish, but my son went and found it fascinating! Be prepared for the longest colon and all manner of things in bottles and boxes and on shelves.
The Ick factor is quite high.
Enjoy~Scarlett

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 23rd, 2003 12:15 PM

World's largest colon...? Great. I can picture my mom seeing that and calling me on the cell: "Son! This just reminded me: WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T YOU GOTTEN THAT COLONOSCOPY?!?!?"

I'll be sure to tell them to not eat just before they go in....

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 23rd, 2003 12:17 PM

Now THIS is why I like this board! Prompt, real observations! Take THAT, Condé Nast!!

__Watson_ Jul 23rd, 2003 12:29 PM

rjw,

The Mutter is a fascinating museum. In addition to the megacolon, there's a huge variety of other pathological specimens, a cadaver, and lots of medical and dental instruments. It's interesting to see how medicine and dentistry was practiced in the old days.

The number 7 SEPTA bus stops right near the museum. Otherwise, from Bucks County you can take one of the Regional Rail Line trains and get off at either Suburban or 30th Street Stations, then take one of the subway surface trolleys (green line trains) to 22nd Street. The Trolley runs right under Market Street.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 23rd, 2003 12:32 PM

Thanks Watson!! They can actually hop the R5 into town. And I think I'll make them get out of the train at Suburban and walk. Mom loves cities with good walking downtowns (she used to live in Montréal).

__Watson_ Jul 23rd, 2003 12:37 PM

The walk from Suburban Station to 22nd and Market is very doable (7 blocks).

I went to Montreal 2 years ago on business. I agree that it's a very nice city. For us guys, St. Catherine Street is awesome

Ms_Harvey Jul 24th, 2003 04:07 PM

Suburban station is your best bet transportation-wise and 22nd street is probably a 10-15 minute walk from there(in Center City the streets are numbered to aid the directionally challenged). The museum is in the College of Physicians building. There has been an attempt in the last few years to sanitize the reputation of the museum, but this is the kind of place that doesn't lend itself to "Disneyfication" (which I think is a good thing). It provides a fascinating glimpse into the medical practices of the past, which seem pretty callous and barbaric by todays standards. You might have to steel yourself before viewing the "Soap Lady," but overall it is an amazing place. It's like one of those old, dusty Victorian museums that have been modernized out of existence.

carenrl Jul 24th, 2003 06:32 PM

The Mutter is a very cool place--close to public transport and lots of restaurants for a meal afterward--if you are so inclined!! ;-)

hiker123 Jul 26th, 2003 10:56 AM

The Musuem is interesting...I'd give it a "B".