Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phila Fodorites: Did you go to the Fri/Sat/Sun closing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering restaurants to visit during my upcoming trip to PA and Friday/Saturday/Sunday (& Thursday too) was a contender -- until I read that it's closed! After 40+ years! Where else can Rittenhouse Square residents satisfy their craving for cream of mushroom soup served with a side of juicy gossip?

So sorry to hear it's shut down. In the 1980s, it was a big part of our local restaurant/bar rotation, along with Frog, the Commissary, the Piano Bar, Dirty Franks, Backstage, Entrees/On Trays, Deux Cheminees (for uber-romantic splurge dates ) and Bookbinders (for dinner with our out-of-town parents). Or Roller's in CH when Alison Barshak worked there.

Oh well, fugit irreparabile tempus (or tempus irreparabile fugit).

What would you recommend as substitutes in the RS area? Last year, I had a pleasant meal at Estia, I might be willing to try it again. I'm looking for two dinner recs and one lunch. Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Due to crowds, we've only once in the Rittenhouse Square area, and it was at Devon Grill. I highly recommend it. Note that if it's beautiful weather on a weekend, you might wait a hour to get an outdoor table. When we were told that, we decided to eat indoors, and had fantastic seafood.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I checked the menu and it looks great -- I definitely want to do a seafood dinner.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 04:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I ate on the sidewalk at Rouge, next door to Devon, Sunday night and on the sidewalk at Parc for breakfast Mon morning. The weather was too beautiful to sit inside. In the area, we like Tinto, Vernick, a. kitchen, 20 Manning Grill and Lacroix. I've heard that Fitler Ding Room is good and I'd like to try that. The Continental is fun for lunch and there's a Pizzeria Vetri in the neighborhood now.

Our favorite spots way back in the eighties were The Garden, Frog (I always liked the original location better), La Terrasse in UC, Astral Plane, Le Bec Fin for splurge dinners, Bookbinders CC not Old Original, and Strolli's in South Philly. I was sad to see FSS close.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 06:20 PM

Birdie, I'm glad you mentioned Astral Plane. I remember that place. I was a college student in phillie in the eighties, and that restaurant was definitely our big, romantic date place.

And yeah, Bookbinders is where Dad took me when he came to visit.

Anybody remember L'Aigle D'Or? Because we couldn't afford Le Bec Fin?