Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

PGA U.S. Open in Chambers Bay...seating?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody out there know how the seating is there? Where the best seating will be? Best holes to sit at and stay for awhile?
Thank you so much for any information you can give me.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 05:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you attended other golf tournaments? Do you prefer to sit rather than following a player over the whole course? Which day are you going?

I don't know anything about the course but after checking the US Open website, I can tell it's a links course so there won't be any shady hillsides which are my go to spots to sit and watch the action. I also like to choose a spot where I can watch them putt out and also watch the tee shots for the next hole. It looks like the tee box at 9 is elevated so you may be able to see other holes.

There should be public grandstands at the greens at 9 and 18 and probably scattered through the course at other holes. They usually fill up early so if you plan on getting to the course first thing, you might want to grab seats at 9 since it's a par 3.

If you don't get any other information, look for the fan info tent or volunteers when you get to the course. They should be able to point you to some good viewing locations on the course. Make sure you are aware of all the rules for items you are allowed to bring on the course, where you will be parking, and which shuttle you take back to your car. Have a great time!
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 05:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you downloaded the Spectators guide on the Open's website? Some basic info there . .

http://www.usopen.com/pdfs/Spectator_Guide.pdf

Also - being a links course, following a group may not be as easy on some other courses. From the brochure:

>>Grandstands
Approximately 18,000 grandstand seats will be located at strategic viewing areas throughout the golf course for spectators. Due to limited viewing along rope lines, spectators are encouraged to utilize grandstand seating to view golf rather than following a specific group of players. Seating is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Access to the grandstands is subject to applicable USGA policies, which will be posted at the entrance point to each grandstand.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Good find, janisj. I was looking for a spectators' guide but looked on the course site rather than USGA. It looks like 17 might be a nice place to park if there are bleachers.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 07:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Good find, janisj. I was looking for a spectators' guide but looked on the course site rather than USGA.