Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Petaluma Dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/petaluma-dining-468336/)

Stevemac Aug 19th, 2004 11:12 AM

Petaluma Dining

Will be in Petaluma for two nights in October at the Sheraton Marina then heading to the town of Sonoma for two nights. Looking for dining options both fine and casual. I saw Dempsey's on the internet. Are there any reviews as a casual option? Also, any good breakfast options near the Sheraton. On the Saturday, we plan on heading to the coast (Pt. Reyes or Bodega Bay) and then to Armstrong Redwoods park. Any suggestions for lunch along the coast. Thanks in advance

Steve Mac

cher_cher Aug 19th, 2004 11:40 AM

Aram's and Thai Issan in Downtown Petaluma are both great. Aram's is casual and Thai Issan is pretty much in between. For a real treat, if you can get yourself over to Sonoma, I'd do the girl and the fig http://www.thegirlandthefig.com/.

For breakfast I would definitely do Hallie's Diner. Yummm.

razzledazzle Aug 19th, 2004 12:18 PM

Hello, from beautiful Petaluma!

Well, I would not have either Aram's
(passable, kinda middle eastern pita & hummus shop)or Thai Issan(I can only say I would never send anyone there) anywhere near the top 50
in my town-(sorry cher cher-maybe the ownership has changed at these places?)

We have excellent dining options here!
Dempseys is pretty good for casual-it's on the river so eating al fresco is an option. Also their is Rosens' East Side
Grill for similar fare.

I can highly reccommend Central Market or One Fifty Four for excellent CA cuisine dining.
Hiro has the best sushi I have ever had... anywhere in the USA!
For super yummy Italian I would suggest
Graziano's, or more casual Brick's for thin crust pizza. Breakfast can be had just south of downtown on your way over to Bodega Bay/Pt. Reyes at Marvin's on Petaluma Blvd. South. Lunch in Bodega Bay-I suggest Lucas Wharf,others may suggest the Duck Club, but not sure if it's open for lunch and is $$$$. In Pt. Reyes I would suggest a picnic or a stop at The Station House Cafe or the Pine Cone diner.
Hope this helps!
R5

razzledazzle Aug 19th, 2004 12:31 PM

sorry! One less "c" in recommend
and their is Rosens' "there"
LOL!
R5

cher_cher Aug 19th, 2004 01:59 PM

Awwww I *heart* Aram's and Thai Issan :( :P I do, though! :D

HvnScentU2 Aug 20th, 2004 12:10 AM

Wait! Don't leave De'Schmire and LeBistro off those lists! Both excellent. They're my favorites!

Stevemac Aug 20th, 2004 06:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies. "R5" the detail you provided is both helpful and appreciated. Gives me some options to discuss with my travel companions. Again thanks.

Steve Mac

razzledazzle Aug 20th, 2004 10:29 AM

HvnScnt2U:
Are in Petaluma? or just a fan?
Stevemac:
And I forgot to add Sooze Wine
Bar & Cafe (downtown)and
Cafe Giostra (North McDowell).
R5

kimamom Aug 20th, 2004 10:58 AM

AIsn't there a girl and the fig in Petaluma? We sure enjoy the one in Sonoma. www.girlandthefig.com ***kim***

johncharles Aug 20th, 2004 01:12 PM

It's been a few years since I lived near Petaluma (in fact I had a Petaluma postal address, although I lived out between Bloomfield and Valley Ford)but DeSchmire was a favorite, as was Buona Sera on Kentucky St.--did it close?

razzledazzle Aug 20th, 2004 02:10 PM

kim:
the girl & the fig is gone-sad.. it was very good but was hard to locate.
johncharles:
I would LOVE to live out there!
Buona Sera closed from damage to
a fire on Kentucky street about 18mos
ago. The 7+ store front sites affected have been re-built, but no Buona Sera
in sight.
R5

HvnScentU2 Aug 20th, 2004 11:54 PM

Yes, Razzle, I'm in Petaluma. U? I miss Buona Serra. I had hoped they'd be back. We should probably mention Volpi's too. Cattleman's for steak? Na, the fillet mingon at De'Schmires is awesome!

KathyM Sep 19th, 2004 12:20 PM

Having completed a 3 week visit to California in August, I must comment that One Fifty Four in Petaluma was the most disappointing restaurant that we encountered on our trip. As the door opened, we were hit will a wall of noise. (There are no soft surfaces in this restaurant and normal conversation sounds like it is amplified about 10 times!) We were promply seated (with about 18" to spare on either side of us-- no privacy at all!) and then sat and sat and sat. Even though there were waiters scurrying around us, no one acknowledged us even to say "we'll be right with you", much less took a drink order. After approximately 18 minutes the noise and inefficiency became a bit too much, so we got up and left.

kimamom Sep 19th, 2004 04:07 PM

That's too bad, Kathy, I have read on other boards that this is a very good place. Maybe they were just having an "off" night. ***kim***

je Sep 19th, 2004 04:29 PM

While in Sonoma, consider Cafe Le Haye. It is outstanding.

kimamom Sep 19th, 2004 05:30 PM

We were at Cafe La Haye in March (current enough, LOL) and really enjoyed it. The place is small, but the food is very good! ***kim*** :)

cher_cher Sep 21st, 2004 10:41 AM

OK, we just went to the General's Daughter in Sonoma and thought it was excellent for a fine dinner. Cafe La Haye, as well. We'll definitely be back for both.

kimamom Sep 21st, 2004 10:46 AM

That's good to hear, about the General's Daughter. We were there in the spring of last year and thought the place was very good, I have since heard on other boards that it had slipped in the past year.

The ambiance in the General's Daughter is gorgeous, isn't it? Quite a bit of interesting history behind the place, also. Glad you enjoyed it! ***kim***

PamSF Sep 21st, 2004 12:31 PM

I wax nostalgic over the following in Petaluma: De Schmire, Volpi's,and Three C's(best linguica and eggs I've ever had!).

je Sep 21st, 2004 01:30 PM

Try Lolita's Taqueria for some great mexican food in a little different style. It's in the Petaluma area.