Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Peoria hotel - Twain or Holday Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/peoria-hotel-twain-or-holday-inn-401562/)

bellhouse Jul 25th, 2008 12:37 PM

Peoria hotel - Twain or Holday Inn

Any opinions as to where is best to stay: Mark Twain or the Holiday Inn city Center? It's just for a late afternoon and a night, then leave the next morning. What is the riverfront like? It sounds like they are advertising it, but there don't seem to be many restaurants listed for it.

japw82 Jul 26th, 2008 12:55 PM

We like the Embassy Suites in E. Peoria. The manager's reception and made to order breakfast make this an ideal location for us. It is newer and convenient to restaurants. As far as the riverfront is concerned, there are a few chain restaurants and the old River Station is suppose to reopen but I'm not sure if that has happened yet. What type of restaurants are you interested in trying?

bellhouse Jul 26th, 2008 01:10 PM

Thanks - I'll check it out. This is a "looking at colleges" trip with my 18-year-old, who is pretty adventurous as far as food. Non-American,not terribly expensive, and not much driving if possible. That's going to be a long day and we'll be tired.

bellhouse Jul 26th, 2008 01:14 PM

I just checked - and no rooms were available. What else would you suggest?

Cadgirl Jul 26th, 2008 06:31 PM

The Par-a-dice Hotel in East Peoria is also nice.

japw82 Jul 27th, 2008 11:47 AM

You may also want to check for availability at the Staybridge Suites downtown. If you're touring Bradley, check out Avanti's, which is at the corner of Main and University. It is an inexpensive Italian place that is known for its gondolas (a sub sandwich served on a deliciously addictive sweet bread). They have many other menu options as well. It was popular when I was a student at Bradley and it is still a popular choice for students today. The only other suggestion may be to stay out at the Shoppes at Grand Prarie (off of 150) which is a great place to shop and has several restaurant options. There is a Candlewood Suites and a Country Inn and Suites in this area. Either would be a good, inexpensive option.

bellhouse Jul 28th, 2008 06:30 AM

That's the third vote for Avanti's, so it sounds like a winner. Thanks. Since I've decided against the river front area, what would be closest to Bradley and inexpensive? They mentioned some places on there website that give a discount to visitors - maybe a Bay-something and a Comfort Inn or Suites - both were near a mall is all I remember.

japw82 Jul 28th, 2008 05:18 PM

I have never stayed at either of the hotels but would recommend the Comfort over Baymont (from experiences in other cities and reviews of the properties). These hotels are near Northwoods Mall. If you choose to stay in this area, I would recommend either the Courtyard or Residence Inn by Marriott. Don't rule out the Staybridge if they have availability (downtown). It is actually the closest to Bradley. There isn't a lot to do in Peoria but the educational experience that Bradley has to offer is exceptional.

bellhouse Jul 29th, 2008 05:48 PM

I checked the Bradley rate at the Comfort Suites. There's no comparison between it and Staybridge or Marriott, but at $87 for a night with an 18-year-old the choice was easy. When were you at Bradley? It sounds like a great school. We're from Florida, so I never would have known about it except that a friend who is an educational consultant suggested we look into it.

Cadgirl Jul 30th, 2008 02:55 PM

I agree- stay away from Baymont near Northwoods Mall.

Rachel Jul 31st, 2008 06:09 AM

Dont know if its still open, but my kids and DH loved ALexander Street Steak House (or sim name). You pick out your steak and either have the attendent grill it, or grill it yourself. The food was actually quite good. NOt adventurous, but good if you like steak and potatoes.

Cadgirl Jul 31st, 2008 06:12 PM

Yes Alexander Street Steakhouse is still open. They have a good salad bar that is included with every entree.

bellhouse Aug 1st, 2008 04:54 AM

The steakhouse sounds good, but Brent is really looking forward to either sushi or Indian. We have to drive about 45 minutes for good Japanese or any Indian, so both are a treat. Any suggestions?

japw82 Aug 1st, 2008 11:03 AM

Bellhouse,
Sushi Gawa (Japanese) on W. Lake Ave. gets good reviews. To get a taste of Indian food, try Sizzlin India. It is next to campus. I graduated from Bradley in the 80's and am amazed at the growth and upgrades being made on campus. Enjoy your visit!!

Bill_I Aug 1st, 2008 01:16 PM

I have stayed at Jumers before, it is now a radisson property
http://www.radisson.com/hotels/ilpeoria/locations
It has been a few years since staying there, but it does have some atmosphere/character & is near Bradley Univ. Some parents & kids stayed there when kids where in a hockey tournament. Price may be a bit more than you wanted, unless you can get a discount for AAA or something like that. About $99 - $119.

bellhouse Aug 4th, 2008 12:00 PM

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations, japw82. I had forgotten about Avanti's, though - just reread earlier posts and remembered. We will be there for lunch and dinner, so maybe we'll flip a coin to decide between sushi and Indian for one meal and go to Avanti's for the other. Bill - thanks for the hotel suggestion, but I got a good deal on Comfort Inn/Suites through Bradley.