Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

People standing in the ailes on airplanes drive me nuts!

Nov 27th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Kevin

A few months ago I was on an airplane where all kinds of people were standing in the aile visiting around me. I thought I was at a coctail party. The flight attendent said nothing to the dozen or so people and when I asked her about it she told me it was legal as long as the seat belt signs were not on.

These people invaded the space of the people sitting in aile seats and in my opinion were a safety hazzard in case of turbulance.

Have they cracked down on this since 9/11? I hope so!

Nov 27th, 2001, 04:44 AM
abit

Instead of obsessing about this situation for the past few months, your time would have been better spent in learning how to spell!
aisle...not aile
cocktail....no cocktail
attendant....not attendant
hazard....not hazard
turbulence....not turbulance
Tell me, have you really been obsessing about this all these months?

Nov 27th, 2001, 04:45 AM
abit

Oh, you got me so upset, I spelled cocktail correct both times!

Nov 27th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Lori

You need to take a bit of your own advice.

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Jim

Don't go to Italy! Last time I was there, I took a domestic flight and many people stood and chatted the entire flight.

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Cathy

Spelling or not, I think it is an issue.

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:16 AM
ohbrother

Thank you Cathy and what do you have to say about this "issue".

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Thyra

Well now, I had heard that you are supposed to get up, stand and walk around to prevent problems with circulation.. (please ignore my spelling, it sucks I admit it!)
The so called "economy class syndrome" can be prevented by standing frequently and moving about the cabin, especially on long haul flights.
I realize this may bother some people, but my parents doctor recommended they stand rather then sit continuously for several hours, (my parents are slightly overweight and elderly). Just another pont of view.

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:23 AM
stanky boy

I hate it when people stand in the aisles and casually break wind in close proximity to one's nose. I had a stewardess do that to me once on a flight to London. Exertion gas, I think it was, as she was trying to push a heavy drink cart down the aisle.

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Kevin

This is a serious issue!

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Leone

People in the aisle ... chatting ... enjoying one another's company ... oh, yes, yes, such a serious issue. But if this upsets you, try a diversionary approach ... rummage through that interesting pocket on the seat back. Look at the in-flight magazine. Play with the white baggie. Oh, me oh my, such a serious issue. I'm trying to be serious, I promise you I am. Why, I think I'm about to get quite upset. Ciao

Nov 27th, 2001, 08:48 AM
lisa

Perhaps you should get up and roam around, stretch your legs, maybe start a conversation with them if it happens again. I really can see how it could be aggravating (or is that aggrevating?) for long periods, but for just awhile? Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. I learned years ago that sweating the small stuff makes your life miserable and just ain't worth it. You'll live longer too if you don't give in to it.

(Or, maybe you could be like that Flight attendant - break some wind a few times, maybe burp a bit, and maybe they will all move away.)

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Holly

About 5 months ago I was traveling for business, in the aisle seat as usual. I had work out on my tray table and was minding my own business. 2 men about 30 years older than me appeared in the aisle. One was rocking my seat back and forth with his hand. The other was resting his drink on the seat in front of me. I could hear them making some lecherous comments about a woman on the plane - and then I realized the woman they were discussing was me. I continued to ignore them. Soon thereafter, guy #2 spilled his drink all over me and my work. Guy #1 offered to make it up to me by taking me out. Tempting as it was, I declined.

While I agree that in general, this issue is not something worth fretting about, I do think that the people who do choose to stand in the aisle should try to be cognizant of the people whose seats they are leaning on.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:07 AM
ME

Thanks, xxx. I'm content now that I've switched back to men. - Anne Heche

Seriously though, people who stand in the aisle is fine as long as they are not all up in my grill (street talk for invading my space). The best is when those people who think the plane is a bar and they must meander and talk to people several rows back, are thrown around when the plane hits unexpected turbulence. It's always a laugh to see blue haired women tossed around while gripping there Y'ves St. Laurent bags.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:11 AM
L

Just hard to believe, Holly, hard to believe. Join the "break wind" group, puleeze. Isn't it interesting how people have the most bizarre stories to illustrate some insane point. Like standing in airliner aisles is such a pressing thing. I'm sorry, folks, it's DUMB. Find yourslef another issue, puleeze. Ciao

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Holly

L -

Why are you getting nasty and accusing me of lying? I agreed with others that this generally isn't something worth fretting about, and that people just need to be considerate of each others' space. As far as it being hard to believe, I don't know what to say. It happened, and it isn't the most bizarre thing I've seen happen on a plane. I wasn't even that upset about it - you learn to live with these sorts of things when you have to travel a lot.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:27 AM
xxx

The individuals posting here on Fodors always seem so upfront with their feelings why in the world would they allow anyone to annoy them to the extent that has been described here? Holly, if someone was moving my seat I would certainly ask them to discontinue that. If I was feeling crowded out of my space I would ask the offenders to move and if you follow Miss Manners instructions you will always get them to cooperate. That is, politely take the blame for their bad behavior by saying something like "I"m sorry I know I'm interrupting you but I am very claustrophobic and your proximity is causing me some distress. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind too much moving up a seat or two." This makes it someone else's problem but they can also handle it a similar manner. I know people need to move around but they also need to be considerate.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:34 AM
L

No, no, Holly, I'd never suggest you were lying ... I'm sure what you described actually happened. I'm sorry he spilled the drink on you, and I trust your subsequent flights have been smoother. I would suggest those two develop another approach. Ciao.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:50 AM
nina

Just one word of advice for those who can't tolerate people stading in the aisles of airplanes - PAXIL!

Nov 27th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Christina

aile is French for wing, actually, so I thought Kevin was complaining about people standing on the wings of the plane? So who's the dummy now (although, the hazzard should be hasard if this theory is true). I just flew on a long flight and no one was on the wing, and now people are not allowed to gather in the rear near the restrooms, either, for security reasons. They announced that and called some people on it as they were doing it anyway, of course, they made them stop. However, I think people were allowed to get up a little bit in the aisles to stretch, etc, when the seat belts were off and a few people would probably be ok, but I think security regulations do now prevent groups of people clustering around in the aisle or rear of the plane. I always try to sit in a window seat, anyway, partly to get more personal space.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO