Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pensacola...things to see and do (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pensacola-things-to-see-and-do-386378/)

JCH Jan 12th, 2004 10:11 AM

Pensacola...things to see and do

I'm going on a business trip with my husband this weekend. I've not been to this area before, and wondered if there were any suggestions for things to do while he is in meetings.(I'll have a car). The forcast is in the 50's, otherwise I would be content to sit on the beach and catch up on my reading. Thanks in advance

Budman Jan 12th, 2004 10:25 AM

Tour the museum on the Naval Air Station.

Have dinner at McGuire's Irish Pub. They serve Prime Beef, and on weekends, their prime rib is GREAT!!!

They also brew their own beer. ((b))

stjohnbound Jan 12th, 2004 10:27 AM

Where will you be staying? It will be easier to give you some suggestions if I know where you'll be starting out.

JCH Jan 12th, 2004 10:43 AM

We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. We will have things going on in the evening, it is during the day that I'll pretty much be on my own. But I will be sure to tell my husband about McGuire's. That sounds like our kind of place!

Budman Jan 12th, 2004 11:02 AM

The NAS Pensacola is home of the Blue Angels. The Museum is excellent -- I believe they now have "Navy One" there -- the one Bush flew in to the Carrier. ((b))

MikeT Jan 12th, 2004 11:23 AM

Last Spring, I went to their "historic district" and was impressed by what I saw. It's very small, but you can take a tour which tells the history of the city and you can see some of the original architecture. There were also some great restaurants off a lovely park that bordered the historic district. It was a pleasant suprise.

JCH Jan 12th, 2004 01:36 PM

The historic district sounds nice. Are there any areas that have quaint little shops or boutiques? (I'm not into the big malls).

stjohnbound Jan 12th, 2004 01:38 PM

Since you're staying on Pensacola Beach I would check out the shops on the Boardwalk...it's very close by and would be an easy walk. Even if the temps are in the 50's if it's sunny you can still enjoy the pool and beach (just don't go in the water!). The beach is at its most beautiful in the winter. Also, take a walk out on the fishing pier (also very close by). It costs $2 I think. Also you can drive down to Ft. Pickens (at the very west end of the island and about a 5 minute drive). This is a National Seashore area and you will see the beach there in its natural state. The beach everywhere else has recently been renourished. If you drive east you will also enter the Seashore and it is beautiful down there. For shopping I would also go to downtown Pensacola and hit a few of the galleries on Palafox Street and tour the historic district around Seville Square. Your hotel can give you easy directions. Enjoy your weekend!

JCH Jan 12th, 2004 01:56 PM

Great suggestions. Thanks so much and I will definitely enjoy my weekend.