Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pennsylvania Hotel New York City, what is it like??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 11:47 PM
Randall

My wife and I will be staying in this Hotel (Pennsylvania Hotel) in July can anyone tell me what it is like??

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 04:14 AM
Owen O'Neil

Use the search function of this forum to find Hotel Pennsylvania - this is a question asked and answered frequently in the past - much info already available.

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:02 AM
MLF

we just stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania in April and I have no complaints...its just fine...clean and very convenient contrary to what some have said about it

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just came back yesterday and would never recommend this place to anyone. Here is how a guest that went with us described it:

"Welcome to the Bates Hotel!

How is this place allowed to remain open?!

Rude staff that could use a few pointers on hospitality.

We had to pay them to hold our luggage down in the dungeon, only to find a roach in our bag the next morning. Filthy, dark and gloomy hallways....you'll be cringing by the time you get to your room door, which screams, 'Enter If You Dare"! Dirty carpets, sticky table tops, peeling wall paint, poor lighting, rusty exposed water pipes, stained bathroom floors. Skip the dreadful shower scene all together. Another couple traveling with us woke up in the middle of the night to find a mouse rummaging through items on the night stand. We kept all our belongings off the floor, on a chair in the middle of the room and zipped tight!

For a minute, I thought I was on the set of a horror movie! I recommend the roadside slums in Brazil.....it's a step up!

Bates Hotel indeed...."

We stayed in separate rooms, and ours was the room with the rodent issue.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM

This hotel is a dump - and no one should ever consider staying in it - no matter how cheap it is. There are numerous reports of vermin of all types, lack of cleanliness in both rooms and public areas, and overall a miserble experience. There are perhaps 5 hotels in NYC which NO ONE shuold ever consider - and this leads the list. (A lot of people somehow seem to end up here because it is close to Penn Station - but don;t even concisder it.)

Please search tripadvisor for othe reports from recent victims.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:52 AM

The worst, WORST place I've ever stayed anywhere in the world. You get what you pay for. I am bewildered how this is even on your list of places to consider.

It has been reviewed on Tripadvisor countless times if you have time to read over 5000 reviews - mostly "poor" or "terrible".

A vacation should be a VACATION. Hotel Pennsylvania is anything but.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:54 AM

Cancel your reservation now and tell us your budget and dates and you'll get a large list of places that are far better.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:56 AM

The hotel is slated to be torn down and replaced with a skyscraper, I'd steer clear. You would be better off with a Courtyard or something like that.
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:28 AM

The Pennsylvania is old and warn but clean, and the staff, while offering minimal service, seem cheerful and helpful to the extent that they can. The hallways are depressing and dismal, but the hotel isn't a fleabag like the Carter. But it's huge and cavernous and hit or miss with regard to rooms. If you expect nothing better than a Motel 6 (an old one), then you won't be disappointed. But I've actually stayed there a couple of times ... one time fairly recently ... and I've definitely stayed in worse.

I do agree that you can probably find something better in this price range if you look and have a refundable reservation. But I also disagree with most of the posters that the list will be "large". It probably won't be, and Courtyards in NYC cost far more than the Pennsylvania. I can't recommend the hotel unless there are no other choices in your price range (I'd recommend the Milford Plaza above the Pennsylvania, for example, though I'm no fan of the Milford Plaza).
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM

NO ONE on this post is currently planning to stay there! Post was topped after 10 years by someone with buyer's regret. (OP wrote this in 2000)

Recent reactions are
"This hotel is a dump - and no one should ever consider staying in it "
"I am bewildered how this is even on your list of places to consider."
"Cancel your reservation now "
"I do agree that you can probably find something better in this price range if you look "

Doug, can you use your Fodors' influence to suggest that old posts can't easily be resurrected or at least be tagged somehow?
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM

Dave Barry's take :

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/693415/posts