Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   pennsylvania hotel in new york (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pennsylvania-hotel-in-new-york-271281/)

visitor Nov 6th, 2002 07:30 AM

pennsylvania hotel in new york

Please help. I have booked into the Pennsylvania hotel in December and after reading a few other messages this seems to be a low grade hotel in a seedy area. Have I done the correct thing? Please tell me it will be alright and it is not has bad as I m imagine.<BR><BR>Thanks

Bob Nov 6th, 2002 07:50 AM

The area is not seedy--it is right across the street from Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and 2 blocks from Macy's. It is a very busy business area during the day and at night more quiet unless there are crowds from a game at the Garden. The hotel is enormous and impersonal, from what I've heard and read. I know that I often see airline crews staying there, so it can't be the worst place in the city--just not a particularly good choice. If you are used to budget hotels in other cities and countries, it will probably be on that level

me Nov 6th, 2002 07:52 AM

I agree with Bob, the neighborhood is not exactly attractive but not really seedy either. Could be crowded if there are any major events at MSG.

Owen O'Neill Nov 6th, 2002 07:54 AM

The good news: it's really not a &quot;seedy&quot; area but is dull and quiet at night. Penn Station and the Garden are across the street and Macy's is on the next corner over. It's certainly not an upscale area but is perfectly acceptable. Also - the hotel is not a flophouse type place.<BR><BR>Bad news: it's an old hotel that has been poorly maintained and gets lots of tour groups and convention business. It is generally thought of as not a very good value, even for the price. I you can pay about $110 -110 per night (before the 13.25% tax), you can do much better elsewhere.

Jen Nov 6th, 2002 08:13 AM

Here's Dave Barry's take on the Hotel Pennsylvania, one of the most entertaining hotel reviews I've ever read.<BR><BR>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ry/3375167.htm

xxx Nov 6th, 2002 08:52 AM

Jen, that's hillarious!

Jen Nov 6th, 2002 09:02 AM

Why, thank you, xxx. <BR><BR>Actually, the MOST hilarious thing is that I get to post that link on these Fodors boards about once a month!

Mike Nov 6th, 2002 09:11 AM

i Actually, the MOST hilarious thing is that I get to post that link on these Fodors boards about once a month!<BR><BR>We've noticed. Yawn!!!

Jen Nov 6th, 2002 09:25 AM

Sorry to bore you, Mike. But I'd rather be helpful, or at least entertaining, than just sit around making lame sarcastic comments. Ooops, I just did!

xxx Nov 6th, 2002 09:55 AM

Are you daft? Don't stay at the HP. Stay anywhere but there.

Cindy Nov 6th, 2002 12:39 PM

I love that David Barry thing. Used to stay there when my so-called company would only pay us $75 a night for a hotel in NYC. It is just about the grossest place imaginable. I still have bad dreams about it. Why someone hasn't bought that building and gutted it is beyond me. Attention &quot;The Donald&quot; - are you listening???!!!

David Nov 6th, 2002 07:23 PM

Visitor: Can your reservation be cancelled? If so, try quickbook.com or even Priceline (if you've done your home work and know how to bid). For budget accomodations without Priceline, try the Habitat Hotel and the DaVinci Hotel. Neither are luxury hotels, but the are very well located and CLEAN! Let us know what you decide to do.<BR><BR>Jen: I loved the Dave Barry article!

Sam Nov 7th, 2002 05:55 PM

Topping, as this is the more complete set of replies to eileen's double posting.

eileen Nov 8th, 2002 12:41 AM

Thanks for all your comments will see if I can cancel and go else where. Even if so I know I will have a great time in NYC.

Gretchen Nov 8th, 2002 04:36 AM

Eileen, bid on Priceline and don't bid below 3*. You can undoubtedly get a nicer hotel at a reasonable price.