Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Penn Station to W.47th (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/penn-station-to-w-47th-311988/)

ellncee Feb 26th, 2008 02:04 PM

Penn Station to W.47th

We'll be travelling from Baltimore to NY on Amtrak, arriving in Penn Station. My question is: Would it be an easy walk from the station to the theater at 256 West 47th Street? We'd enjoy seeing the sights on the way, but not all (there will be 7 of us) may be up to a really long walk. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. We'll be coming in June. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

BoulderCO Feb 26th, 2008 02:15 PM

I would guess that would be about a 1/2 hour walk. Taxi would be the easiest way to go - 7 of you could fit in two taxis and it would be very cheap on a per person basis.

J62 Feb 26th, 2008 02:19 PM

It's about a 1 mile walk. Not difficult at all. Taxi would be quicker but I enjoy seeing the sights & sounds of the city.

nyer Feb 26th, 2008 02:21 PM

ellncee, can we assume you're coming for the day and without any luggage?

It's an easy straightforward walk of about 15-20 minutes (for a New Yorker--add a few minutes for mere mortals ;) . The part from Penn Station (33rd street) to 42nd is pretty boring but busy. Mostly smaller stores and older office buildings. If you walk up 7th avenue, rather than 8th,from 42nd to 47th you'll be right in Times Square--huge buildings, gigantic stores and signs.
No other sights along the way unless you have time and energy to detour (to the Empire State Building, at 34th and 5th avenue, for example)

Weather in June should be ideal for a stroll

ellncee Feb 26th, 2008 03:06 PM

Thanks so much, to all, for such a quick response to my question. NYer, yes, it will be just a day trip...no luggage. I think we will walk the distance (weather permitting). If, in fact, it proves too much for some, we can always hail a cab.
Another question. Any suggestions for a good place to eat after the show...either near the theater or Penn Sta?

nytraveler Feb 26th, 2008 03:24 PM

Assume you're coming for a matinee and will want a very early dinner before taking the train back?

What is your budget and what types of food do you like/dislike?

and you'll do much better near the theaters - but will need a resie for 7. The are near Penn Station doesn;t have a lot of good dining.

HowardR Feb 26th, 2008 05:46 PM

The actual distance is closer to 3/4 of a mile, rather than a mile, if that makes any difference.

Gekko Feb 26th, 2008 06:40 PM

Walk.

The entire taxi experience (waiting in line plus travel time) could EASILY take longer than walking.

mclaurie Feb 26th, 2008 06:49 PM

Hopstop.com is a website that will show you the distance, estimated price of a taxi and options by bus or subway. If you decide to walk, the most interesting walk but also the most crowded would be up Broadway.