Penn Station to Jamaica St. to AirtrainJFK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What train do I take to get from Penn Station to Jamaica Station so I can take the Airtrain to JFK?

I usually drive to JFK and park my car, but I have to have work done on my car and am leaving it in Philly.

Thingorjus
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Every Long Island Railroad train heading out to the Island stops at Jamaica. Check the schedule - since on expresses this will be the first stop (on locals there may a couple of stops in between).
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:05 AM

I just want to clarify an important point. Not every train from Penn Station stops at Jamaica.

But any train that does stop at Jamaica Station will allow a transfer to the Airtrain. There's usually a train about every 15 minutes all day long. Look for Jamaica on the big destination board above the ticket booths to see when the next train leaves. Tracks are usually posted a few minutes before departure.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:21 AM

If i read your post correctly you are arriving in Penn Station from Philly, then when you exit your train you need to look for the long Island RR concourse not the Amtrak or NJ Transit concourse that you arrived in. This is about a 5 min walk. The trains for Jamaica will depart from there.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I am not taking the train from Philly to Penn Station. I will be at my cottage in the Poconos for two days before I leave for Berlin. Keith, my husband, will drive me to Stroudsburg and I will take the bus to Port Authority. From Penn Station I will eventually arrive at JFK.

I used to live in Manhattan, and have taken the train to JFK before, but I can't remember after all these years.

Cheers, guv

Thingorjus
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Have you considered having your husband take you to, say, Hacketstown, NJ and take a NJ Transit train from there to Penn Station? I don't know what kind of bus you are taking but if it's not a good one, the train might be an easier option; an easy connection at Penn Station to LIRR or the subway to Airtrain.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

No, the bus is good. It only takes an hour. I have taken it before.

I am Thingorjus; I have slept in a tent on the Great Wall of China, ridden elephants in Nepal, and traveled down the Tonle Sap River in a canoe. I think I can manage a bus through New Jersey.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Must be the Martz bus. You know you can also take the Olympia Trails New York Airport Bus shuttle directly from outside Port Authority to JFK runs every 30 min fare $ 15
http://www.nyairportservice.com/nyc.html
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm taking the Martz. Thanks for the info on the shuttle bus. That sounds inviting, only I think with traffic it would take a lot longer.

I will check it out. Thanks, guv.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM

You can catch the E train (subway in the direction of Uptown and Queens) at the Port Authority Bus Terminal which goes to Jamaica Station and connects to the AirTrain. The extra time you take to get to Penn Station to catch an LIRR train might make the subway a faster option to Jamaica.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM

From Port Authority, you can also take the A train (Far Rockaway branch) to Howard Beach and change for the Airtrain there. It might take a bit longer but it may be less congested and a shorter walk.....
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM

E train and A train are on the same track. The actual E train trip would be much quicker than the A train trip.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think my bus will get to Port Authority at 11 AM. My Delta flight to Berlin is not until 7 PM. So, I have a lot of options.

Thank you for your time and energy.

Thingorjus