Reload this Page >

Penn Station to Beacon Hotel and Beacon Hotel to LGA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Sandi

Hello all... just wondering approximate distance/travel time between Penn Station and the Beacon Hotel in NYC. Is a taxi the best option? Plan to arrive via Amtrak from Boston. Is Penn Station the only stop Amtrak makes in New York City or would another Amtrak station possibly be better situated for getting to the Beacon?

If I take a taxi from Hotel Beacon to LuGuardia on a late Sunday afternoon, how much time should I allow to get there and about how much would the fare be? If there are four of us, will we all even fit in a taxi? Luggage would be one good size bag each.

Thanks in advance!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:14 AM
rqf

The Beacon is about 2 1/4 miles due north of Penn station. A cab is the way to go. Taxi will take a maximum of 4 people. Cab would cost less than $10 . If there is a minimum of traffic it would take less than 10 minutes. Subway is an option. Time of travel would be around 10 minutes but you would have to walk 3 or 4 blocks from the subway station to the hotel, Cost is $1.50 a person. Wouldn't recommend the subway since a cab would only be a few dollars more. Taxi fare to LGA would be around. $25 tip and toll included. Can take as little time as 25 minutes but with traffic allow 30 to 35 minutes. Distance is around 10 miles.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Owen O'Neill

If the car is one of the newer Ford Vic's there may be just enough room for four suitcases if they are not enormous and the cab will hold four (3 in back and 1 in front). If that proves to be impractical, there are some mini-van type yellow cabs in NYC that will surely fit all of you and your luggage but it may be a longer wait to get one of those. I'll mention that you can often get a cab much more quickly by going out the back side of the station towards 8th Ave rather than waiting at the cab stand on the 7th Ave or 31st Street side of the building. Pen is the only stop inside Manhattan that Amtrak makes coming from Boston. The cab ride itself will be 15-20 minutes at most unless traffic is relly horrendous. Not sure about fare to LGA from the Beacon but I imagine it would be $40 or more with a tip. You'd be better off to hire a car service for that one - do a forum search and you'll find several recommended. I'd allow 45 minutes to reach LGA from the Beacon unless traffic bad, in which case an hour should be adequate.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Anthony

cab fare from the Beacon Hotel to LGA should be about $25 before toll and tip.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:15 AM
xxx

Anthony's more on the mark for cab prices, thought it might be couple dollars more (I usually pay about tthat much with no traffic and I'm a little farther uptown. If the route is through the Triboro bridge, you 'll need to add a fee bucks)
You can call for a car service that has flat rates from anywhere in Manhattan
and the rates seem to have gone up a little, (though many of the companies have $2-$3 discount coupons on their webistes)--$27 plus toll ($3.00 or $3.50) plus tip ($4-5) is the norm now, so you're definitely inching toward the $40 mark

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Anthony

XXX:
We must be in the same area; I'm at 81 & Columbus.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Sandi

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful information. I appreciate it!

Sandi

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:13 PM
w

The Beacon is about 11 miles from LGA. It is 2.50 as soon as you get in the cab. 11 miles will cost $16.50 assuming there is no major traffic delay. The bridge toll is $3.50. Fare comes to $22.50.Add the tip and you will have the approximate cost of the taxi within $1 or so.