Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pearl Harbor - Is is safe to leave luggage in the rental car?

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Maureen

I have only 1 morning in Pearl Harbor and don't have enough time to leave luggage at hotel and still make the flight to Kauai. Since you are not allowed to bring purses, camera bags, etc., on the tour, is it safe to leave in the car? Thanks!

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:47 PM
lcuy

There was a report on the evening news about a week ago about all the thefts...You'ds think on a military property you'd be safe, but the park officials seem to think it isn't their job to either provide some security or some safe spot to lock your valuables.
So if you must leave things in your car, either at the AZ memorial or any where else, the best you can do is put your stuff in the trunk BEFORE you get to the parking. If you do it in your parking stall, a thief can see exactly what you've got, and they know who to look out for!
My friend says she leaves junk (crumpled newspaper, Macdonald's trash, a pair of socks) on the seats when she travels. Says it makes the car look less "rental" and less attractive to thieves!

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:12 PM
lori

We went to Oahu last month. When we were picked up at the airport by our limo driver he warned us that if we were going to rent a car and drive around the island to not leave valuables in our car because the break ins had been bad. So where ever we went we paid particular attention to how much glass was on the ground in the parking areas. Hate to say it but there was broken glass in the parking lot at Pearl Harbor. I would have to think a person would be pretty gutsy to do it there but who knows.

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:15 PM
sss

They tell you at Pearl Harbor not to leave valuables in car inside parking lot.

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Judi

If they break the glass on your rental car they can easily get into the trunk as most cars now have an inside trunk release. Could you rent a locker at the airport? Seems to me that would be much safer.

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Rachel

For that matter...what about the road to Hana? We will be landing in Maui and heading out for our excursion to Hana immediately in our JEEP. Not only will we have our luggage with us, but the jeep will be open. Any suggestions? I'm only hoping that the rural countryside is safer?!

Mar 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Kristin

Wonder what other options there are for storing luggage. I will be going to Pearl Harbor between checking out of our hotel and hopping our next flight.

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Lenore

I just got on the USS Arizona web site and it is very specific about NOT allowing purses, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, lugguge etc. Even strollers with compartments have to be completely emptied before they'll let you enter the visitor center. It also states that there is no storage at or near the memorial. They also recommend NOT leaving anything of value in your car! You will definitely need a plan "B".

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Kristin

Well here are a couple of options out the door... I just received this response from Hawaiian Airlines.

"We regret, due to heightened security measures, passengers can only check-in 4 hours prior to
flight departure.

We further regret that the baggage storage lockers at the Honolulu International Airport has also
been closed due to heightened security measures.

Thank you."

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:11 PM
scigirl

There are no storage lockers at either the airport or the memorial (for security reasons). Theft from rental cars is sometimes a problem in Oahu - so the advice to not leave valuables in your car is good. An easier solution may be to swing by the airport and check your luggage before going to the memorial. If you are staying in Waikiki the airport is on the way to the memorial.

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Dick

Leaving Mcdonalds wrappers and other trash does no good.. The locals can spot a rental easily..besides many have bar codes etc on windpows an bumpers.

The only way to guarantee your car wil not be broken into is to leave your windows down and the car unlocked,,then thieves know you have nothing of value.(n of course, dont leave anyting of value)

I'm speaking from experience,,had car broken into and then started leaving windows down,,,,never a prob after that.

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:47 PM
sss

Maui inquiry on our hotel movie channel told us not to be complacent about security regards of countryside and peaceful surroundings. SO WHERE EVER YOU ARE lock doors, don't leave exposed luggage. I would certainly not leave luggage in an open jeep. Never ever leave valuables in car, that’s cameras, money, jewelry and the like. Does not mean you will get robbed every time but why risk it?

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Maureen

Don't leave anything in the car. We thought the "leave the windows rolled down" approach would be safe - NOPE! We tried that. They took a crow bar and pried the back seat out of our rental car!! (This was a car that didn't have an inside release or inside access)

All of this was done in less than 2 minutes, so it doesn't take them long. How about checking with the desk at your hotel to see if you can leave your suitcases there? (I'd take cameras... with me as I don't really trust hotel employees either - was robbed that way on a different visit!)

If you have to take it with you, put it in the trunk at the hotel and don't open the trunk again until you leave the memorial.