Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Paying Cat Sitters! How Much? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/paying-cat-sitters-how-much-244030/)

FRT Jul 29th, 2002 08:14 AM

Paying Cat Sitters! How Much?

Prepetual issue: we're in the DC area, going on travel and it's time to call our cat sitter, and leave a check. She comes in once daily, gets our mail, waters the plants, and will take a sick cat to our vet. She is reliable. How much do you pay? With more than one cat, we pay $18 per day for one visit, and $25 per day during a major holiday period. Is this about right?

Cat Mom Jul 29th, 2002 08:16 AM

I pay $9/day for a once-a-day visit for two cats. Same price for holidays. I lived in a considerably cheaper part of the country than you, so am guessing your figures are in line.<BR>

Julie Jul 29th, 2002 09:26 AM

We're also in the DC area (NoVA) and we pay our pet-sitting service $12 a visit to feed the two cats, water plants and bring in the mail. They seem to be reliable and always available on short notice.

cat Jul 29th, 2002 09:30 AM

There's a very similar thread on here w/many replies that you might find helpful.

smushy Jul 29th, 2002 10:30 AM

I'll sit on your cat for free.<BR>

Marie Jul 29th, 2002 10:41 AM

I live in a large midwest city and pay my cat sitter (2 cats) $18/visit. But I only have him come every other day.<BR>

Susan Jul 29th, 2002 03:03 PM

SF--$10 day for two cats. Same rate for holidays.

gail Jul 29th, 2002 03:23 PM

In Boston area I pay a teenager to feed 3 cats, 1 iguana, bring in mail, and once during week water plants and bring in trash cans - $10/day plus some sort of tip. If it were an adult person doing this as a business I am sure it would cost more. But I figure that, including travel time from down the street, this is about 45 minutes of work, and kids get almost that much per hour to bag groceries around here!

Bubba Jul 29th, 2002 03:46 PM

We pay $10/day for one cat.

MINDS THEMSELVES Jul 30th, 2002 08:28 AM

My two cats are indoor/outdoor pets who are insulted by a litter box. I bought a self feeder and self waterer fill em up put outside in an indiscreet location, show the cats where the food/water is and the cats care for themselves for up to 2 weeks. Cats are very independant naturally. We think they need all kinds of care. Fill the bathtub with water, set the plants in it and they are watered while your gone, if there is no window in your bathroom leave the light on, you will be surprised how healthy and lush the plants are when you return. As for mail, ask the post office to hold your mail until you return to pick it up. The cats don't know or care if it is a holiday period or not, you just saved 18-25 bucks per day. By a couple of timers for lights and set them, they cost about 20 bucks. Enjoy your trip.

FRT Jul 30th, 2002 08:34 AM

Well, MINDS THEMSELVES, you blew me out of the water with that one. Amazing, and congrats to you! Ours used to be outdoors models, but after one was hit by a car, that was it.<BR><BR>BTW, for those who read the Wash. Post, and know about the famous "motor cat" who rode with his owner Catman on a motorcycle, there an article in the Style section today. The cat died of cancer, 17 years old. Quite a person. <BR><BR>Take care.

Paul Jul 30th, 2002 08:39 AM

Do you expect them to bathe the cats? If so, do the cats have claws? This would most likely raise their fees dramatically.

becareful Jul 30th, 2002 09:01 AM

I hope you trust the employees of your local post office, because having the mail held broadcasts the message that you're on vacation to everyone working there. There was a discussion of this very issue on CNN just a few mornings ago.

T.M. Jul 30th, 2002 09:52 AM

I catsit for a friend who has three cats and I charge $10 a day to feed them, love on them, water the plants, bring in the mail, and hang out for a few hours. It works out fine because her cats get "people time" and I get to watch movies on her DVD player!

unreal Jul 30th, 2002 10:03 AM

MINDS THEMSELVES......you are a completely irresponsible pet owner and your local S.P.C.A should be notified. <BR>Leaving animals unattended for 2 weeks is abandonment and abusive and you should be charged. Moron.

sandy Jul 30th, 2002 10:11 AM

I live in Boston and pay a t eenage neighbor $5/day to feed cat (1x/day) and take in mail while we are gone. <BR><BR>In addition, I usually bring her home a little gift, piece of jewelry or thoughtful souvenir from wherever we have been.

William Jul 30th, 2002 11:56 AM

Hi. This isn't my real email 'cause I know some of you won't like my answre. I have a cat and I travel frequently for work. Usually I'm only away for 5-7 days. I normally put the cat in the bathroom with his litterbox with a big canister of Iams. Also I leave the tub faucet dripping so he can drink. When I get home a week later, he's as good as ever. The litter box is usually quite due for a change though.<BR>

x Jul 30th, 2002 12:12 PM

William, not to get on you, not at all, but just for your cat: think about having somebody come in at least every second day, just to check, Your cat would enjoy the company. Look, just because it works for you does NOT mean it's good for your kitty. I'm sure you love your cat, so please, have someone look in and spend a few minutes now and then.

kitty Jul 30th, 2002 12:15 PM

William, I won't flame you either but PLEASE don't do that to your cat again. Surely you know a neighbor or a friend who could look in on your cat every other day to at least give him fresh water? I'm sorry but leaving your cat shut up in the bathroom for 5 to 7 days is cruel -- no other word for it.

theyloveyou Jul 30th, 2002 12:31 PM

William, it is cruel. <BR>I left my cat for 2 days and like you, thought 2 days was nothing. I came home and found a severely ill cat with a urinary blockage that required emergency intervention. Two or three days later and he would have died a horrible death. (can you imagine filling up with poison because you can not Pee??) PLEASE...if you cannot take care of your pets, surrender them to a no kill adoption agency and find them a real home.