Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lake Tahoe Honeymoon- Late September Activities Tips Needed! :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!
I posted on here before about suggestions for places out west to stay in cabins & everyone was so helpful! One of the suggestions was Lake Tahoe and there were some great prices on cabin rentals when I did a bit of research so Lake Tahoe it is! Weve narrowed it down to two options- one on the north side of the lake and one in South Lake Tahoe. Neither my fiance nor I have ever been out there before and we are really excited!

Which side of the lake is better to stay on? We dont gamble and were not huge on club kind of nightlife, but we do like good restaurants and getting outside. We are also looking for suggestions on places to hit while hiking and whether some easy biking trails are available. Are there any absolutely MUST SEE kind of places around the lake for views,hiking, and picnics?

Fiance is huge on off-roading so we may try to rent a Jeep or ATVS for a day and try to hit trails too-- suggestions on where to do that/best places to rent those vehicles from? Is this even possible in late September weather-wise? (We dont mind the cold at ALL- a hot tropical honeymoon location was never even discussed. haha!

Thanks for all the help!
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stay at the North Shore. Where is the cabin exactly? A great beach is Sand Harbor. Love it. Not sure about off road vehicles. You may have to stick to bikes or horseback. You can also look into boat rentals. Truckee is not far and fun for shopping, browsing and eating.
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

The cabin on the north side we found is in Kings Beach. Scott (my fiance) just sent me another link to a cabin he likes on the west coast of the lake-- near Sunnyside. Its super cute and looks a bit more secluded than the other properties we looked at. Are there things to do on the west side of the lake?
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Sunnyside is more secluded but hey, you are on your honeymoon. You will find plenty to do no matter where you stay. King's Beach can be hit or miss. Some areas are a little nicer than others and it is much, much busier. If you want in the forest, secluded, go with Sunnyside. We also like Incline Village, NV.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info- I appreciate it!
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sunnyside is a great area. But STILL visit Sand Harbor . . . The absolute prettiest part of the lake.
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:40 PM

We usually stay over in Truckee each summer and still make a trek to spend a day or two at the beach at Sand Harbor. Just avoid weekends. So Beautiful.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM

The homes we saw near Sunnyside were very nice, upscale properties. I would like it there myself.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Things to see, if they still open in late September:

Vikingsholm

the mansion at Sugar Pine State Park

the Marian Steinbach Indian Basket Museum in Tahoe City