Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Patrick's Hurricane Wilma plan (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/patricks-hurricane-wilma-plan-566324/)

Patrick Oct 23rd, 2005 05:17 AM

Patrick's Hurricane Wilma plan

So what does one do when a very slow moving hurricane is coming your way? Here are a few of my past few days' activities:

1) Although Mom died last Sunday and the nursing home said they'd pack up her belongings and keep them in storage for a couple weeks, they called Thursday to say, "come get them. We need the storage for hurricane supplies."

2) Run about 10 loads of laundry--all Mom's stuff and fold and pack for a thrift store. Take them there on Friday to be told "no donations until after the hurricane. Can you hold them until next week?"

3) The funeral home called Friday saying I needed to come pick up the ashes -- not wait until next week since they don't know if they'll be open.

4) Make deviled eggs and tuna salad for the "hurricane" party.

5) Clear out all the stuff on ground floor of the townhouse. I'm right across the street from the bay and my den on the ground floor sits at about 5 feet above sea level. Two more floors above, hopefully above the predicted storm surge of up to 12 feet.

6) Remember that all the new wallpapers and lighting fixtures for the big decorating job I'm doing are in the garage (almost basement) storage room of a high rise building. Go move them all up to the owner's apartment on the fourth floor.

7) Put the second car in the city garage. Unfortunately everyone else had the same idea so we had to put it on the top floor (fourth) not under cover, but at least out of flood range. It's a convertible. Will the top hold out or will a coconut go through it? Still seems safer than our garage at home which is in the flood zone.

8) Check with Oakwood Apartments in Chicago on their cancellation policy since we're scheduled to go there on Wednesday. They graciously said just to let us know by Wednesday morning if we can't make it.

9) Put things like ice cream in the freezer inside a large plastic box so if they all melt they won't run out all over the place.

10) Spend three days eating frozen foods since they are likely to go to waste otherwise. Well, there are worse things than my homemade vegetable soup.

11) Stand in line at the gas station and fill both cars with gas.

12) As mentioned on another post -- get my most important hurricane supplies -- two big bottles of Dewar's and a bottle of vermouth. It may take me a lot of Robroys to get me through this week.

13) Check again with friend Paul who lives high and dry in inland North Naples with their six dogs and six cats. He must stay there with them. Paul's wife, Susan left for a week in London on Thursday, so we're joining him at their house for the night tonight. Will go late today when the winds start. I see an all night party coming on.

13) Pass time by posting on Fodors.

seetheworld Oct 23rd, 2005 05:33 AM

Gee, I'm so sorry you are faced with this Patrick!

I would just go to high ground and jump directly to #12 until it's all over ;)

Keep safe and dry!

Wednesday Oct 23rd, 2005 05:37 AM

Patrick, I'm so sorry. I knew you must be busy lately and sent good thoughts your way when I saw the storm coming that direction....thank you for sharing your common sense preparation as well, I think alot of us forget some details during the panic to get ready. I hope you and yours weather unscathed. Take care...

ccolor Oct 23rd, 2005 06:37 AM

Oh, Patrick, I'm so sorry for you but I can't help but laugh at your tale - you certainly do have a way with words!! Hopefully by this time next week it will all be just a nasty storm and you can update us on, "How I weathered YES ANOTHER hurricane season".
You're in our thoughts.

kodi Oct 23rd, 2005 06:48 AM

Patrick, my sincere sympathy on the loss of your mother. I'm sure it helps to know that she went peacefully, after seeing and speaking to you.
I'm glad you had the chance to see her before she drifted off to sleep.

But, oh my, what an ordeal you've had to go through with Wilma coming. But, as usual, you have a good attitude and a good plan. It sounds like you've had a really busy, stresful week. You deserve to start the hurricane party early!

Good luck.

Judyrem Oct 23rd, 2005 06:56 AM

Hello Patrick, we are waiting for Wilma too here in FLL. I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I too, lost a parent (my dear Dad) unexpectedly not too long ago...that is one of the reasons I have not been here on Fodor's for a while. We are about 10 feet from the water, but the wind will be coming from the WSW. Instead of Dewar's I have a nice Zin put away. Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

dorkforcemom Oct 23rd, 2005 07:07 AM

Patrick - please accept my sympathies on the loss of your mother. Not only are you dealing with the grieving process - but with Wilma as well. Keep us informed as you "weather" Wilma.

LoveItaly Oct 23rd, 2005 07:13 AM

Good morning Patrick! I never go on Fodor's when I first wake up but I did this morning as you were on my mind and I was hoping that you would have a thread telling us how you are.

This has been a week you will never forget I am sure. But like others have said your sense of humor and wit is so admired.

I would never have thought of putting the icecream in a plastic box. Your brain is certainly in high gear. I didn't realize you lived right across the street from the bay. Good grief, I don't know how you have accomplished all this. You make me think of that old saying "when the going gets tough the tough get going".

Whatever you do, do <i>not</i> forget those bottles ::) when you and Lee leave for your friends house.

Take good care dear friend. My wishes to all of you, and I pray that your condo will come through this without any serious damamge. Many hugs.

OO Oct 23rd, 2005 07:14 AM

Patrick...I'm so sorry to read about your Mom. My condolences.

I've been thinking of you these past few days as it looked more and more as if Naples would be ground zero. Wishing you the best and hoping it weakens more before landfall. You sound well prepared. (Great idea putting the food in plastic--wish I'd thought to do the same last year for the one we were without power for 3 days--what a MESS of a clean up that was!) The latest track seems a bit more to the south, but not enough to spare you.

Again, our best...we'll all be thinking of you and awaiting your mini &quot;trip report&quot; from North Naples.

capecodshanty Oct 23rd, 2005 07:33 AM

Your sense of humor will get you through, Patrick. May it be no worse than Bob, here in &quot;92, when all we had was fallen tree on the deck9 and no power for 4 days).Don't forget to stock up on ice in the cooler!!

johnthedorf Oct 23rd, 2005 07:48 AM

Patrick,
My condolences also. I intend to eat my Ice Cream all day today! I laid in my stock of essential supplies also. My limes are in excellent shape! I'm on the GOES Satellite Floater from Satellite Services Division which is better than the TV updates. (@aol.com) if you need me to forward. Good luck.

cigalechanta Oct 23rd, 2005 08:04 AM

So sorry, for your loss, for the stress.
Take care of yourself.

Carib_Ruby Oct 23rd, 2005 08:19 AM

Patrick, I am very sorry for your loss.

My family is in Naples as well and did not evacuate..It does not seem like many are taking this as seriously as they should.

I am glad you are prepared, please take care!

Scarlett Oct 23rd, 2005 08:46 AM

Patrick , darlin, pack up Lee and the convertible and some of that homemade soup and take off for Oregon.
It might be gloomy now and then, but so far, No Hurricanes!!
The 5th Ave Suites will give you a nice room with all the ice you need for those drinks.
Pup and I will keep you company, watching storms on television from a safe distance. I will even bake an Apple Tart for you.
Anyone else who wants to try this new method of Hurricane Preparedness, I will bake for you too :)
If none of this appeals, know that we are all here, cheering you on, you are always in our thoughts.
Big Beeeg Stay Safe Hugs!!
Your pal, Scarlett

cd Oct 23rd, 2005 08:59 AM

Patrick
Yikes, what a time you've had. Sure hope for better days ahead! Hugs and good wishes.

Barbara Oct 23rd, 2005 09:03 AM

I'm so glad you posted, Patrick.I've been wondering what you would be doing to avoid this storm.I'm so sorry to read about your mom. I'm sending sympathy and hugs.

Scarlett's idea is great,but you could come to San Diego,it's warmer and drier here.I can make apple stuff too!

I can't wait to read your &quot;trip report from North Naples&quot; as OO puts it. It doesn't sound as though you'll remember enough for a full and complete report!

Both of you take care. I hope there isn't enough water to reach your house and all you have to worry about is recovering from a hangover!

crefloors Oct 23rd, 2005 09:12 AM

Boy Patrick, I am amazed at all you have accomplished with all you have had to deal with. I am so hoping that Wilma will loose some of her &quot;punch&quot; as she approaches land in Florida. God is taking care of your mom, and will keep you and Lee safe. Check in when you can.

easytraveler Oct 23rd, 2005 09:14 AM

Patrick: My deepest sympathies to you, a great and long-time Fodorite.

Hoping Wilma will bypass your townhouse - (({))

PamSF Oct 23rd, 2005 09:26 AM

Jeez~further illustration of that old saying &quot;When it rains, it pours&quot;!
Have a Robroy or 5 for me. With Jeb at the helm FEMA $$ is bound to show up faster for y'all than in other states.

Sabrina Oct 23rd, 2005 09:44 AM

Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your mother. I do hope that the good memories that you have of the the time spent with her will help sustain you in the days to come. It's great that you can keep your sense of humor during such tough times.
Take care and know that your friends on Fordor's are thinking of you.