Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Patrick, which bus did you take to the airport in NY?

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a search and read so much, I'm cross eyed. I am looking for an economical way of getting back and forth from the airport in NY. It seems to me that on some posts, people are confused between Super Shuttle and NY Airport Bus Service. I'm understanding that NY Airport Bus Service is an express bus to the airport, not a shuttle that stops at all the hotels along the way ( like super shuttle). Patrick, is this the one you took?

Many people have also said to just be done with it and take a cab, that it isn't that much more.
We have to make 2 round trips to the airports, sot the difference could add up.

We are arriving at LGA, spending a day and night in Manhatten, then flying out of JFK for our trip to Europe.
Then 2 weeks later we have to do the reverse. .. We lland at JFK and will spend a day and night in the city and then it's back out to LGA to fly home.
We added these overnights in NY as a bonus to our trip and don't want to spend a fortune.
But we sure don't wnat to lug our stuff on the subway either.
The NY Airport Service looks like a good compromise.
Any advice would be very, very welcome!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I haven't taken a bus into the city in years as I realized long ago that for two of us a taxi was not only cheaper but easier and quicker as well.
I'm not sure which one I took. I assume you're referring to an older post of mine in which I probably mentioned that we stopped at Grand Central Station and then had to transfer to another bus which then stopped at four or five hotels before ours, taking over an hour in the horrible midtown traffic. We almost missed our show that night. That was the one and only time I foolishly took a bus instead of a taxi from LGA to midtown.
Sorry, I don't know which one it was and that has been so long ago, I'm not sure it would still be the same.

On the other hand last year we took a bus from Port Authority direct to JFK. This was great and easy as we spent the night before at the Times Square Hilton only a half block away. The bus was comfortable and efficient with luggage space below the bus. I'm pretty sure that was Super Shuttle, but wouldn't swear to it. It did also stop near Grand Central on the way, but no hotels.
I've never taken a bus from midtown to Laguardia.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:28 PM

I used to take the Carey Bus in the olden days, and Gray Line after that. These days it's the NY Airport Service bus -- $12 for LGA, $15 for JFK. This is a bus that goes from Port Authority to the airport. According to their website, on the trip in from the airport they stop at midtown hotels, althought I can't say I've been on the bus when that has happened. Maybe people didn't know they would make those stops. Super Shuttle picks you up -- $15 for the first passenger, $9 for additional. But, you are stopping in various places for additional passengers -- it can take a while. Car services are also nice -- Carmel Car is popular -- $30 to LGA or $44 to JFK, plus tolls and tip. For myself, I pay the extra money for a car service just to reduce the hassle, or if I'm concerned about time. If I'm coming in from the airport and am not worried about time, I've taken the Airport Services bus, and it was fine. I took a cab once I got to Port Authority ... sometimes the subway if I didn't have a lot of luggage.

I can understand not wanting the cost of taxis for two round trips -- I've done the subway to JFK and the city bus to LGA in the past -- but it requires such a tradeoff of time & is a hassle with any luggage at all -- I usually just suck it up and do a car service. As a NYer, I always envied Chicago & how relatively easy it was to get to either of those airports via the El.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:37 PM

I stand corrected, from what robhart says, it must have been the NY Airport Bus we took to JFK from Port Authority.

I suspect that statement that they also go to hotels is by a transfer bus. That's what happened to us the time we came if from LGA; they said it would take us "directly" to Marriott Marquis. But what really happened was that we got off at Grand Central and waited for a smaller bus to take us there.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:49 AM

kodi -

I would add up the costs carefully before you decide to do one of the buses vs a cab/car service. Even if you do the Port Authority thing you still have to get there - you don't say where your hotel is. If you can walk a block or so fine - but if you have to take a cab - or even the subway to get there - the difference in cost stops being meaningful.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:26 AM

kodi, IMO everything hinges on where you're staying. For LGA, it makes no sense for 2 people to do anything but take a cab.

So it sounds like you're talking about 1 trip from NYC to JFK for when you go to Europe and one trip from JFK to NYC when you return from Europe. If you're staying near Penn Station or Port Authority, I think you can consider either the Airtrain (from Penn Station) which would cost $24 for 2 people or the NY Airport Bus (not the Super Shuttle as you rightly surmise) for about $30 for 2. If you're staying near the E train and are travelling light, a subway/Airtrain combo will cost $14 for 2 but be prepared to cart suitcases up and down stairs.

Remember the cab FROM JFK to the city is a flat fare of $45 so with tip it's $53-55 plus any toll. On the trip out to the airport it's on the meter.

Carmellimo.com can be cheaper than a cap with the coupons they have on their website.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the help. Yes, Patrick, I was referring to your post where you said on your last trip to NY, you took the bus from Port authority to the airport.
I think I've got it straight, the difference between the Super Shuttle and the NY Airport bus Service. And it seems you took NY Bus. Was it OK?
In your post you mentioned it was very easy.

I will continue to compare prices along with hassle level.
Robhart, I've checked Carmel car service. Are the prices quoted per car or per passenger? The answer would make a big difference and could be where I'm going wrong with my comparing.

NYtraveler, I haven't yet decided on where we will stay. I'm trying to figure out transportation first and then we will stay in the best location to suite the method of transport.

Mclairie, as well as the trips to and from JFK at the beginning and end of our Europe trip, we have the get into and out of the city from LGA as well.
Does the Airtrain go directly to JFK without a subway conection?
I'll check out Carmellimo.com. Thank you.

Our whole European trip has not been as complex as this!!

If I took 4 taxi's at $60 a pop converted to my Candain dollars, I'd be looking at almost $300 CND.
That could buy us a couple of nice dinners!

Thanks again everyone.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:47 AM

OK, but don't forget that last post about my taking the bus was from Port Authority (half a block from our hotel) to JFK. I'd never consider taking a bus for two of us to LGA!!!

And now I'm really confused. No taxi between midtown and LGA is $60!!, more like half that to $35 tops. JFK, yes, but not LGA.

And I don't understand what converting to Canadian dollars means? Are you going to be buying those New York dinners in Canadian dollars? You've got to stop thinking that it takes more of your units of currency to equal another country's. That's like before the euro saying "I can't go to Italy because everything costs 2000 times as much" (it took 2000 lira to equal a dollar -- so what?)

In terms of where to stay in NewYork, one thought is the Westin or Hilton Times Square are both very short walks to Port Authority.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick. Yes, I'm confused. I had it in my head that the taxis would cost the same from both airports. So perhaps we can take a cab back and forth from LGA and the Airport bus to and from JFK. Staying at the HItlon Times Square would then be a good choice.

I know, I know, I shouldn't 'convert' money in my mind when travelling. It goes against my own rule and it's something I normally don't do. But the thought of all that money on taxis does get to me.

This NY stopover is a little added treat that wasn't really in the budget. Hence , all my fussing about transportation!!
I won't be converting Euros in my mind on the rest of the trip!!!

Thanks again for the help.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM

OK, now I think you're on the right track. Good luck.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:08 AM

I've taken NY Airport service to both airports, and for shuttle between the two -- all comfortably, and on-time.

Remember that if you purchase roundtrip tix with NYAirport there's a savings.

As pointed out, they do have service to midtown hotels and Penn Station, but those involve transferring to s smaller shuttle bus. I think I could have walked from GCT to PENN in the same amount of time as all the shuttle stopping took. As you're probably transporting quite a bit of luggage, I doubt you'd want to do Airtrain, altho it's great for the "1-bag" traveler.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rb. It's great to hear from someone else who has used the bus successfully.
I'll try and stay at a hotel within walking distance of GCT or Port Authority. And I'll be sure to get return tickets.
Whew, I'm glad this is settled! Now on to my next project...a hotel . ( I promise to do this all on my own and won't bug anyone!!!)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM

kodi, the Westin Times Square and the Hilton TS are both across from Port Authority and get good reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM

The convience of a taxi far outways piblic transportation.Your trip will be ruined by as we say in Ny schleping back and forth with luggage from the airport.Everytime i have tried to save money that way it was a disaster.This is a big city but transportation to the airport is easiest by Taxi.There are to many variable that can get in the way.Trust all of the posts and treat yourself to a Taxi
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM

cindymal, a part of me agrees with you, but have you read all this thread?
If someone takes a bus from the airport to Port Authority and stays at the Westin across the street, what schlepping of luggage are you talking about? And how does that "ruin" one's vacation? I suspect most people have to roll their luggage further within the airport or to the taxi stand than they will from Port Authority to the Westin or Times Square Hilton. Or maybe from Grand Central to the Grand Hyatt.

You say "trust all the posts". Which posts is she supposed to trust -- the ones from people saying they did a bus and it was perfect, or the ones from people who say they only take taxis? Not all the posts agree here, you know.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:11 PM

Just replying to the question about the car service: the price quoted on Carmel's site is per car, not per person.

Good luck -- so many choices!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, thank you for your post.
I do appreciate all the help I've received. I am looking for a compromise and I seem to have found it .

Cindy, I do agree that schleping my luggage on the subway would not be the way to go ( although I don't think it would ruin my vacation), but The Airport Bus Service does not seem to be a hassle at all.

McLaurie, I will check out the hotel suggestions.
Staying near Penn Station will be the key to a smooth trip.

Thanks again , everyone.