Potato pancakes/latkes in Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Orlando during Hanukah and would like to take our family somewhere we can get potato pancakes (latkes) for dinner or lunch. Any suggestions for delis, German restaurants, or others that might serve these. We will be staying by the Convention Center/Universal area. Thanks
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM

Maybe one of the Disney restaurants can fry three latkes together so it looks like Mickey with his ears.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM

Polonia Polish Restaurant http://www.polonia-restaurant.com/index.html in Longwood has them, but it's quite a drive from where you will be.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM

The only place that comes to mind is the Perkins chain. Orlando, and the area you'll be staying in particular, is not known for great non-chain dining. But Perkins does have potato pancakes and serves breakfast all day. Boring, I know.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM

Well, here is another suggestion -- Toojays Deli. It's on East Colonial, not really close to where you will be, but not as far away as longwood. http://orlando.citysearch.com/profil...rmet_deli.html
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM

Me again. I see that Toojays has opened a place in the Dr. Phillips area. Now THAT's close enough to where you will be. Here's the link:

http://gocitykids.parentsconnect.com...do-fl-32819-us
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM

Check if there is Chabad in the area, if you want a "traditional" dinner.

You can also search for "kosher restaurant" or see if there is a local JCC with links to restaurants on their website.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks for such fast responses. TooJays sounds perfect. We're going to Orlando for our son's graduation from UCF and also have reservations at Columbia to celebrate that. Any other suggestions for dinners? We will be there 4 nights. I'm trying to get my non-museum type family to go to Winter Park (?) for the Tiffany musuem-any suggestions for restaurants there? Thanks again.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM

"I'm trying to get my non-museum type family to go to Winter Park (?) for the Tiffany musuem-any suggestions for restaurants there?"

There are many good restaurants in Winter Park...too many to mention... but it would help us if you would narrow down your preferences, particularly price & type of cuisine.

For general recommendations, peruse this section from Scott Joseph's Orlando Restaurant Guide. Scott was the Orlando Sentinel's Restaurant Critic for 20 years.
http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/re...tings?catid=50
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM

Yes, TooJay's in Dr. Phillips. I have had their latkes and they are very good.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM

Another vote for TooJay's! Also, Winter Park has a wonderful variety of all sorts of restaurants. You could look at - www.winterpark.org .
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Most important factor for us-casual dress. Our kids will want to wear jeans or shorts. Price-moderate-eg Fridays, Bahama Breeze type prices. Likes: Asian, Italian, Sports bars, burgers, Mexican, patio dining. Dislikes: kids dont like Indian or Sushi. We're open to suggestions. thanks.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:38 AM

I am late here, but TooJay's have excellent {BIG} latkes. All of their food is pretty authentic Jewish deli food.

Deb
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

In Winter Park Village there is PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, Brio's...all casual and a few minutes from the museum!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM

One block off park ave is Dexters on New England Ave. Good food and live bands thurs-sat nights. On park ave Circa is good - 2 for 1 deal this week. I was there today. 310 Park Ave is also good. Spice is over priced. Park Plaza Gardens is beautiful indoor garden dining. Expensive but nice. Luma is good an very hip. The Wine Store next to Luma is a unique wine bar. You buy a card that you stick in their machines that dispense one ounce tastes of hundreds of wines. From $1/ounce to $15/ounce. For cheap and unbelievably good pizza by the slice - Park Ave Pizza across from the Gap. Off Park Ave in the Winter Park Village - ruths chris, Pf Change or by fav - Brio Tuscan Grill.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM

Lots of patio/sidewalk dining on Park Avenue in Winter Park - adding Bosphorus to the list DavidRW provided above. Great Mediterranean food.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM

Donuts are traditional as well and really easy to find. Most kids like them.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM

I'm not positive, but I don't think the OP wants a meal of doughnuts.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Bosphorus and Brio make the Winter Park list. Now I just have to get them to Winter Park. Now they're talking about driving to St. Pete for a bowl game( Not my choice, but i am outnumber 3:1. Special note to Orlando-I wouldn't want a meal of donuts now, but many years ago when pregnant, I thought a box of donuts or a package of Oreos was a great meal!! Actually, son #2 might agree that it's still a good meal, as long as theres a side of cheeseburger.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Rachel,
Since you bring it up, there is a Krispy Kreme Doughnut store just a few blocks south of the Brio Winter Park Village. It is located at 1031 South Orlando Avenue (AKA 17-92.

Let's see how strong your will power is once you enter the store and inhale the aroma of freshly baked doughnuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -