Search

Breckenridge visit

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breckenridge visit

We're planning a family trip to Breckenridge this summer and would like some advice on great scenic drives. Also, some great scenic hikes, but not too strenuous. Any suggestions?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:31 AM

Pick up a copy of "The Summit Hiker". At least I think that's the name. It's widely available once you get there. Altho' it's purpose is as a hiking guide, we also used it as a guide for some great drives. Great book!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:44 AM

Yes it is "The Summit County Hiker"
At Breck you can hike the Peaks trail. Take Ski Run rd past the lift area, look on the left for a small parking area. A bit of up and down in the beginning then relatively flat.

You might drive over Swan Mtn Rd to Keystone. A very short hike/walk at the top is Sapphire Point.

At Keystone you can take the lift up to the top, there is a very pretty hike I think it is 11/7, there are signs. The nice thing about this hike is the lift does most of the elevation for you. The hike circles a peak and the views are amazing. It is about a 3 mile hike.

From Keystone go back through Dillon to the Marina for lunch at the Tiki Bar, again great views!
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM
MaureenB

Breckenridge isn't far from Vail. Not the most scenic of drives, but you might like to see Vail if you've never been.

Also, there's a pass behind Breckenridge-- I think it's called Hoosier Pass-- that could be a pretty drive up to the top to see a panoramic view. Fairplay is on the other side, but it's a very laid-back town that might not interest you.

For hikes, just ask in town. There should be plenty. I think people like to rent bikes in Breckenridge, because it's fairly flat in the valley and you can ride to Keystone (I think there's a bike path-- but don't quote me on this).

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:25 PM

This is not a hike, but if you have kids, I'm sure they'll love the alpine slide on peak 8 in Breckenridge. There's a maze, and mini golf too. The book everyone has recommended has hikes for all abilities, and we have done most of them. We often see children grumbling until they come into a clearing, or reach the summit, at which point they are struck speechless by the awesome views before them. There is a hike from Frisco past a mining town destroyed by an avalanche that is not too hard and the views are super a the peak. You can see what will be left of drought-stricken Lake Dillon, and there is a good Mexican Restaurant, Jalisco (maybe?) at the trail's end where you can sit on the sunny deck and share some food.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Mbluvsne,

"You can see what will be left of drought-stricken Lake Dillon" - huh? -Lake Dillon is currently 96% full and there is still snow on the peaks.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I'm so glad to hear that Lake Dillon is making a come-back! When we were there three years ago, it was very sad.