Parking in Fisherman's Wharf

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking a trip to San Francisco/Sonoma in late May. Our itinerary is to arrive in SFO on Friday, spend the day/evening, then leave on Saturday late morning for wine country. We are staying at the Marriot Fisherman's Wharf. (This is all for a friend's wedding, so we don't have flexibility on the hotel or timeframe). We are renting a car, mainly for the time that we'll be in Wine Country, but we want to rent it at the airport in order to get a good rate since we'll be dropping it off at the airport (and for convenience). Anyway, the Marriot charges $38.00/day (!!!) for parking on site. That seems rather ridiculous to me. What are our other options in that area? Are there parking lots where we can leave the car for 24 hours that will charge less? Any chance of free parking? We're willing to walk a few blocks. I just don't want to go and take my chances and end up having to pay the $38! Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:38 AM

I agree that is an outrageous fee for parking, but you're only talking about one night, right? Frankly I think the convenience of having the car right there for both arrival and departure would be worth it for one night's expense. Think of it as money you save from not having to do a taxi from the airport.
But maybe somebody has a good alternative that will save you maybe $15 or $20, for a little juggling and logistics.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:52 AM

Unfortunately $38/day is common for hotel parking in SF. Since it is only 1 night, I would probably just bite the bullet and pay it for the convineince.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:39 AM

Agree that it's best to pay the $38 and park at hotel. This is a GOOD friend, right????
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. So, do you think I should pay the $38 because there are NO other options around or is it just because that would be most convenient? I personally wouldn't mind a little inconvenience to save $20, so if anyone knows of other options, I would appreciate it! Like in my city there are lots downtown that are $1/hour up to some cap ($12?) for the whole day. Anything like that around that area? I may end up just paying the $38, but it seems like such a waste.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:06 AM

Parking is expensive in SF. There are some other parking garages around, where you won't have to pay quite as much. It depends on how much you want to pay, and how far you are willing to walk to collect your car from the garage. Here is a site which lists some of the garages and their prices: http://www.letsgo.com/SF/13-ServiceDirectory-198. Good luck
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:35 AM

First let me note that I am not speaking from experience, as I've never been to SF before, but will be going in August. Second, I will also say that I'm going to tell you how I decided to handle it and save lots of cash to boot.

As I said I'll be in SF in August and will be spending a week there. I flipped when I saw the parking rates (the hotels are no bargain either). Now I live in NYC and am somewhat accustomed to shelling out a little $ to park. But hotel parking at FW is outrageous. After scanning this and other sites I found the Columbus Motor Inn which received very positive reviews, and I am told is less than a 10-minute walk to FW. They also have FREE PARKING. In addition, their <$100/night rate was another great plus.

Now I'm sure the CMI cannot compare to the Marriott, but at a fraction of the cost and free parking, it's a great deal. I agree though with some of the other posts. If you're only there for one night, and are set on staying in the midst of everything, you might need to suck it up and pay the $38. For me, planning a weeklong stay, I just couldn't.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:56 AM

I live in SF and had to park at FW/Pier 39 last weekend. It was $30 for 6 hours. Ugh. Pay the $38 for the day/night. It's worth it. And to the poster who wrote about the Motor Inn - please check where it's located. The area around the Wharf isn't the nicest neighborhood in town and 3-4 blocks could be the difference between OK and not OK.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM
cd

Moneylar
You might consider Priceline. I asked for Fisherman's Wharf, 3star and bid $80.00. It was accepted and included parking. Just an suggestion.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:03 PM

The Columbus Motor Inn is often recommended here -- a nice place and a sister to the popular Cow Hollow Motor Inn, Chelsea Motor Inn, and others in the Marina/Cow Hollow areas. Nothing wrong with Columbus Motor Inn including the location, but travelisfun has stated that there is no flexibility from staying at the Marriot, so that's that.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:03 PM

Columbus Motor Inn is in a good location and a good neighborhood. I'm not sure what "bad" area around the wharf KiminSF is referring to. She may be thinking of the housing projects that once existed off of Bay Street, but which have since been torn down and a new development is being constructed in its place.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Well...thanks for all of the advice! I think you've convinced me to just suck it up and park at the hotel. Valet is actually the same as the regular parking, so you'd better believe those valets will be parking my Dodge Neon!
Thanks again!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM

I don't know if the Marriot has a self-park option anyway. We stayed there for a couple nights about 3 years ago and I think the cars are actually parked off site somewhere.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM

Lately I've noticed that most hotels which offer the option of self-park vs. valet park, have little or no difference in pricing for the two.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM

Looking for hotels in SF for our 50th anniversary in Feb. Looking for safe area. Which would be best Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square - looking at the Marriott, also the Mark Hopkins. We on't plan to drive - so will do Grayline tours etc to sightsee. Also how is the weather in Feb? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:37 AM

Hey, applejack, you might try the Hyatt website. I'm guessing since it's a 50th anniversary that you would qualify for senior rates. The website is a little tricky to use for those rates but if you click "special offers" and then find Senior Rates, then choose location, you just may come up with half price rooms at the Grand Hyatt right on Union Square. It is a large, but very nice hotel, and if you get those rates it is truly a bargain. Let me know if you have trouble doing this.
By the way, you can catch regular busses right by there which will take you to Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach (the fun Italian area), Ghiradelli Square and the chocolate factory, and Cow Hollow area. All those are on one bus line and very easy.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:42 PM

Patrick - I was able to pull up the Senior rate - thanks for taking the time to let me know about this one. I've really gotten some good advice - just need to plan on exactly what we want to see. Have been so many places and always have missed SF - know we will enjoy the city. Thanks again.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Thanks to trvlgrl for the parking lot list! We will also be in SF with a car and it's not cost effective to return it as we need it on either end. We can valet at our hotel, but don't especially need the convenience and in/out we would be paying for while we're in the city. Is there an area (maybe even outside the city but near transport) where it's OK to leave a car in a (pay, but cheaper) lot for 2+ days?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Hi Tavel,
I think for $5.00 you can BART down to the FW area and then back the next day to pick up your rental.
We're staying at the Tuscan Inn on F.W.
for $139.00 which includes FREE parking.
pete