Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Parking at Newark Airport (EWR) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/parking-at-newark-airport-ewr-1653905/)

yestravel May 28th, 2018 04:48 PM

Parking at Newark Airport (EWR)

I am looking for recommendations for long term (~3 weeks) parking when we have a flight out of EWR? Thanks

NeoPatrick May 29th, 2018 06:15 AM

Just a thought. More than once we used https://www.parksleepfly.com to get one night hotel with up to two weeks of parking and shuttles to and from the airport. It was cheaper or about the same as any off site long term parking. And it's sure nice if you have an early morning departure.

yestravel May 29th, 2018 07:24 AM

Thanks! Our departure isn't until the evening, but I may check it out. Any particular place you recommend?

NeoPatrick May 29th, 2018 09:25 AM

To me it's all about price. I've had good deals from Wyndham and also Marriott (I think Spring Hill Suites gave us a great rate. Also if you really don't need a room, it's worth calling the same hotels you find good deals with on the stay and park deals and ask if they just provide parking. I'm still trying to remember one of the off site places (Big Spot or Parking Spot?) where when we arrived back we waited over an hour for a shuttle -- not normal they said, but still. . .

When you go to the link I provided above, it will list all the hotels for your dates along with their prices. No need to check individually with each hotel unless it would be to call them direct after you get the online quote and see if they can do a good one for parking only.

tomfuller May 29th, 2018 12:17 PM

If you live near an Amtrak station, just take the train to EWR. There is a shuttle from the station to the airport included in your Amtrak fare.
You don't have to worry about damage to your car or finding your battery dead when you return.

doug_stallings May 29th, 2018 01:09 PM

Yes, depending on where you live, it might make more sense to take public transportation or even do a one-way car rental from Enterprise than to park for 3 weeks.

yestravel May 29th, 2018 02:08 PM

I take Amtrak frequently to NYC so I am very familar with it. The problem is the timing of our return flight & the Amtrak schedule from EWR. We don't want to have to hang around and wait for a train.

I have been looking at one way rentals and they are really expensive. Enterprise is $201 for the one way rental.

Good ideas, Neopatrick!

Thanks all!

tomfuller May 30th, 2018 06:06 AM

Rent the car at EWR on your return to go home with your luggage. Take the car back the next day to EWR.
Right now I have an Enterprise car that I picked up at LAX that I will return to Newhall with no drop fee.
We take Amtrak bus to Bakersfield and Amtrak train to Stockton and bus to Sacramento on Friday.
Payinf for a hotel room and 3 weeks of parking is too expensive IMO.

yestravel May 30th, 2018 06:17 AM

Tom -- we live in DC so it would be a one way rental. No getting around that. We are also looking for simplicity as on the return we will have flown in from France.

tomfuller May 30th, 2018 08:02 AM

Why fly from Newark if you live in DC? BWI or National are so much nicer to fly out of IMO. I spent many hours waiting in EWR for a flight to Lisbon after flying in from Pittsburgh.
Sorry that Enterprise on the east coast doesn't do one way without a drop charge. Picking up on Memorial Day at LAX was a breeze and we get to drop off near Amtrak on Friday.
We have our car waiting for us in Chemult Oregon (free parking) when we get there on Saturday.

SPQR May 30th, 2018 08:12 AM

What time of day are you arriving at EWR that there is a long gap between Amtrak trains? If the next Amtrak train doesn't stop at the Newark Airport station, couldn't you just take NJ Transit a few minutes to Newark Penn Station or Metro Park where there should be 2 or more trains to DC per hour?

yestravel May 30th, 2018 08:33 AM

Tom -- I've lived in DC my whole life so I am fully aware of the different airport options here. Did this particular flight in & out of EWR for a variety of reasons.

SPQR -- Thanks! I didn't realize that every train going up that corridor doesn't stop at EWR. I guess the trains I have taken (I'm on that route often enough) have been the ones that stop at EWR. There is a train to DC at 12:57 and then again 4:28. We arrive before the 12:57 but not with enough time to catch it. Yes, there are more trains from Newark or Metro Park, but as I said, we were hoping for something simple with a minimum of changes. Still mulling over the various options.

NeoPatrick May 30th, 2018 09:35 AM

Ah. so the one way car rental is from DC to EWR? OK, I get it.

yestravel May 30th, 2018 09:38 AM

NeoPat -- sorry if I wasn't clear. The 1 way is to get home from EWR to DC. We have a roundtrip flight out of EWR and we live in DC. Going up to EWR is not a problem.

NeoPatrick May 30th, 2018 12:00 PM

Oops. Well in any case it's a DC/EWR rental. Got it.

yestravel Jul 31st, 2018 07:07 AM

Finally decided what to do with this. Car rentals dropped substantially since I looked back in May. Have decided to take the Amtrak from DC to EWR and then pick up a one way rental from EWR to DC for our return. The rental was only $70. Not sure why prices dropped so much, but glad they did. Thanks for the various suggestions.