Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Parking and Restaurant around Sheraton Marina (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/parking-and-restaurant-around-sheraton-marina-712739/)

nancymaat Jun 13th, 2007 12:28 AM

Parking and Restaurant around Sheraton Marina

Hi,
We bid for a 4 star hotel on priceline thinking it would be Westin, Omni, Hyatt (the hotels that showed up when we did a search on the site prior to naming our own price) but got Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina instead. Bummer. Based on Tripadvisor reviews, it's more of a 3 star instead of 4 star. The hotel charges $17/day for parking and according to the reviews on Tripadvisor, the hotel restaurants are expensive and there are no good moderately priced restaurants near by. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? do you know of parking garages near by that's cheaper? are there good family restaurants you can recommend? (We have a 4 year old) Thanks.

Fairway Jun 13th, 2007 04:13 AM

Hi Nancymaat,
I wouldn't be too concerned about staying at the Sheraton Marina especially if you got a good rate. You are't that far from downtown. Never stayed at the hotel, but it looks nice. I think your child will enjoy watching the boats and naval ships in the harbor.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites S.D. Downtown right on the bay and their parking now is $24/day!

Can I ask why you might need a car? The airport is close and there's shuttle service to the hotel more than likely. A taxi would work to go the 3 miles you would need into the Seaport Village area, Horton Plaza, gaslamp district etc. for restaurants and shopping unless you are traveling with a car seat? Just asking since I don't know what your plans are.

I am hoping you plan to take your 4-year old to the zoo. It's really a nice one... wear your walking shoes - it's on a hill.

Old Town is fun to walk around and there are a few restaurants there as well. Don't remember them being terribly expensive.

Have fun!

1JAR Jun 13th, 2007 06:42 AM

Gee, most people think this is one of the better places to stay downtown:

on the bay with a great walking path to Seaport Village with lots of gift shops and resonably priced restaurants

close walking proximity to Gaslamp if walking is too much you can take a pedicab

Parking is less expensive at the Convention Center, a very long block walk on same side of street (next door but the Sheraton is a big long property on the Bay.)

Google San Diego Convention Center for more info

1JAR Jun 13th, 2007 08:08 AM

OOPS scratch my response above..I misread and thought it was the MArriott. Need more coffee

Ok I will try to make up for my goof...

You are probably stuck with the parking..maybe a few on street but you have to read the signs.

Restaurants..well you will have to get in the car and drive on Harbor Drive;

North there are some pancake type restauarants, Dennys etc Pizza Nova on the Bay with nice deck probably closest family friendly nice restaurant

HArbor Dr North dead ends into East or West Rosecrans which has McDonalds, Rubios etc

Shelter Is. off of Rosecrans still only a 5 minute commute has alot of nice restaurants Miquels Cocinas (people come from miles around for the Mex food) Humphreys great brunch, Red Sails Inn, Brigantine great happy hour appetizres, UMI Sushi, nice grassy area and children playground right on the BAy..get a picnic and eat outside on the Bay

Point Loma itself has;

Point Loma Seafoods on the bay friendly seals to watch and outside seating at cement picnic tables..not open late and cash or check..some say best seafood place in town and prices can't be beat

Old Venice (butcher paper and crayons on table)
Harder to find but Souplantation salad buffett is great..

nancymaat Jun 13th, 2007 09:26 AM

Hi Fairway and 1JAR,
Thank you for the tips. We are renting a car because besides downtown SD, we're also planning on going to Legoland and Wild Animal Park.

Barbara Jun 13th, 2007 09:31 AM

Parking is expensive anywhere in the downtown area. There is limited street parking on Harbor Island and I don't think you can park overnight. This is not a bad location

If you drive south on Harbor Drive, towards downtown, you will come to the Embarcadero area with the Star of India, the Midway Museum, the Harbor Cruise. A little further and you're at the Fish Market-fine for kids-and you're walking distance to Seaport Village which has all kinds of kid-friendly eating places.

What do you consider "moderately priced"?

Look at www.sandiego.org for downtown restaurants.

nancymaat Jun 14th, 2007 03:26 AM

Thanks Barbara,
$15 or less for an entree, and either they have a kids menu or if not, the wait staff won't give us "the look" when we just ask for an extra plate to share our food with our kid instead of ordering her a whole entree. I'll check outyour suggested website.