Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Park City lodging during film festival (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/park-city-lodging-during-film-festival-753298/)

sammyc Dec 14th, 2007 11:32 AM

Park City lodging during film festival

Hi,
My friends and I are going to Park City for a weekend in Jan to see some films during the Sundance film festival and to ski. I've been looking around online and most hotels/condos are booked or the rate is super high ($400+/night).

Can someone recommend a place/City near Park City for us to stay that can fit 4 adults (1 br + loft, or 2 br), and under $400/night? Our last resort is to stay in Salt Lake, and drive back & forth daily--which I'd rather not do. Has anyone done this?

thanks in advance!

Dayle Dec 14th, 2007 01:49 PM

Hi Sam,

Yes, lodging is very expensive during Sundance. How have you been searching? Are you contacting the property management companies?

Some condo complexes you might try that would be less expensive are the Powderwood Condos located in Kimball Junction. You might also try for something at Creekside Condos/Apts also in Kimball Junction.

There are 3 hotels in Kimball Junction: Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Suites, Best Western.

There is public trans (bus) for all these properties, but much more limited schedule than right in town. It would be about a 40 minute bus ride from either of these, not due to distance, but due to stops/traffic.

I have friends who come for Sundance every year. But next year I am considering putting my house on HomeExchange.com for potential swaps. I'll see how that goes!

Try checking this web site, it's very helpful; www.parkcityinfo.com.

Do you already have a festival pass or ticket package? If not, I hope you are aware of how difficult it is to get tickets. Be sure to go to www.sundance.org for details. Time to register for individual tickets sales lottery is nearly over.

Good luck and have fun!

sammyc Dec 15th, 2007 07:11 AM

Thanks for your reply Dayle! Right now we're looking outside of PC.. around Heber City.

Dayle Dec 15th, 2007 02:32 PM

Sam,
Driving in from Heber will take about the same amount of time as driving from downtown SLC, FYI. But, it will probably be less expensive! Don't forget to factor in the cost of the rental car and all their junk fees and taxes.

Just so you know, Heber Valley is beautiful, but not happening at all. I personally would stay in SLC rather than Heber.

ncounty Dec 15th, 2007 09:17 PM

You can check out vrbo.com. There are lots of private homes and condos for rent there. Sundance is one of the most booked times of the year. I think the drive from Heber is a little shorter than from SLC but the atmosphere is very different. Both are enjoyable in their own way. One point for SLC is that there are movies showing there as well throughout the festival so it would be quite easy to stay there and catch a movie there as well.

Fletcher921 Dec 16th, 2007 12:54 PM

I just spoke to All Seasons Resort Lodging a few minutes ago. They have a one bedroom/2 loft unit that sleeps 4-6 available for the last part of the festival. They charge $419 per night. They are not fancy but are at the Canyons - way better than all the way in SLC. We usually stay at the Westgate at the Canyons but are staying at Red Pine this time. The shuttle bus runs through this area every 30 minutes I think.

The latter part of the festival is better anyway as the films are a bit easier to get in to later in the week.

dmlove Dec 16th, 2007 12:59 PM

Are you sure about that location? I could swear All Seasons Resort is right at the Park City parking lot.

Fletcher921 Dec 16th, 2007 01:40 PM

http://www.allseasonsresortlodging.com/park_city/

They rent units out at a variety of properties.

* Silver King Hotel
* Bear Hollow Village
* Carriage House Condominiums
* Crestview Condominiums
* Fox Point at Redstone
* PowderWood Resort
* Prospector Accommodations
* Red Pine Condominiums
* All Seasons Condominiums