Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Park City help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/park-city-help-needed-778436/)

cmcfong Apr 11th, 2009 02:38 PM

Park City help needed

I will be in Park City in early Sept. I am the organizer of my high school class reunion and I am developing a list of activities. Is there a great walking tour of the city which I can include?
Thank you!

cmcfong Apr 12th, 2009 05:18 AM

ttt

ncounty Apr 12th, 2009 08:29 AM

Hi cmc- certainly you can walk Main Street which is colorful with lots of shops and restaurants. There are lots of great hikes that I'm sure others can comment on. I would recommend a drive to Guardsman's Pass to see the mountains, trees, and foliage. It is dirt roads and can be a bumpy ride in parts. You can even go all the way to Brighton through there. I like stopping in the Silver Fork Lodge for a bite to eat on the way into Salt Lake City. How many people in your group? Are drives with caravans of cars feasible? I also highly recommend a drive to Mirror Lake, about an hour away. It is gorgeous that time of year with amazing foliage.

cmcfong Apr 12th, 2009 08:36 AM

Thanks,ncounty. I appreciate the suggestions. The group is probably going to number around 100 but sadly many can no longer enjoy any substantial hikes. I was hoping there might be a walking tour which pointed out the historical and architectural interests along the way.

I think some of us will probably rent cars and go exploring. Mirror Lake is on my must see list!

It is going to be such a fun visit. Thank you for your help!

cmcfong Apr 13th, 2009 10:51 AM

Dayle, trying to catch your eye.............

BarbaraS Apr 14th, 2009 01:40 AM

I haven't heard of tours of Park City, but you could try contacting the Park City Chamber of Commerce and see if they have recommendations. http://www.parkcityinfo.com/contact/

ncounty Apr 14th, 2009 06:20 AM

dayle is away on a trip to Napa.....she should be back soon, I'm sure she'll respond.

cmcfong Apr 14th, 2009 06:34 AM

ncounty, thanks for the heads up on Dayle. I will wait a few days and top this for her input.
Barbara, thank you for the suggestion.

cmcfong Apr 14th, 2009 02:18 PM

I called the Park City Historical Society and they agreed to schedule a walk for my group on the Saturday of our visit. Thanks, for your helpful suggestions.

BarbaraS Apr 14th, 2009 03:59 PM

I'm so glad it worked out for you! Have a great time!

cmcfong Apr 14th, 2009 04:24 PM

Thank you! I am sure we will have a wonderful visit. Next I need to start developing my shopping strategy. You all will help on that, right?????

Dayle Apr 14th, 2009 05:22 PM

Hi friends!

Had a great time winetasting.....perfect weather and the CA poppies were in bloom!

I was going to suggest calling the historical society. There is a gentleman who does give walking tours of the town. He's an expert. He also does hiking tours of the mine sites and structures in the mountains in the summer, but that won't be in your plans.

I'll talk to you all soon. Super busy right now!

cmcfong Apr 14th, 2009 05:37 PM

Dayle, when you get a second tell me about the guy doing the mine tours. There may be some of my classmates who would like that. There is a link to Hal Compton who does that on the website for the historical society. Is that your man?
Are you still on for NC in the fall?

Welcome home. We'll be waiting for that trip report.

ncounty Apr 15th, 2009 08:36 AM

I think we can chime in on the shopping strategy, cmc! lol....

really though, I just went to a boutique in salt lake city called namedroppers which has new and consignment clothes. I ended up with two evening gowns, a gold lame short dress and a gorgeous beaded black skirt by french connection for $58 total!

but then, I also got two pairs of pants at the outlet mall for $58, lol.....and that was on sale!

cmcfong Apr 15th, 2009 04:13 PM

ncounty, come and sit by me. I believe we are long lost sisters. Thanks for the tip!!

Dayle Apr 16th, 2009 07:40 AM

cmcfong,

Yes Hal is the man!

Ugh, you guys. I can't do any shopping right now. I bought too much wine, but it's coming today! My home computer is unplugged too because I'm doing interior painting.....

Yes, still on for NC in Oct.

cmcfong Apr 16th, 2009 02:12 PM

Dayle, let me know how I can help you with your NC plans!