Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Park City condo locations - Foxpointe at Redstone vs Newpark?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I will be spending several weeks in Park City next winter. We have been offered good prices on condos in Foxpointe at Redstone and Newpark. We can picture Foxpointe and the Redtsone Center but can't conjure up an image of Newpark. They appear to be similarly located. Any opinions on one vs the other re: location, highway noise, etc?

Thanks,
isy
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Hi irish,

Are you coming for the whole ski season? Do you intend to use public trans every day or drive?

These condos are near the Kimball Junction area and are not at the ski resorts. They are both condo complexes built as part of a "walking community center" and are attached to a major shopping/commercial area. It's good if you want to live within walking distance to a bowling alley, multiplex cinema, shops and restaurants. Very bad if you are looking for a ski town experience. They do border the Swaner Nature Preserve, one of the few open spaces left in Park City.

I know the Foxpoint HOA doesn't allow dogs. How sad and how atypical of Park City. The town nic name is Bark City!

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Public trans to the ski resorts and Main Street would take you about 20 minutes.
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dale. We are coming for several weeks and will buy season passes at Deer Valley. We are familiar with Park City and will have a car. We know it's a short drive from Kimball Junction to Deer Valley. We can't afford season passes at more than one area even with the senior discount and like Deer Valley because it's so civilized and user friendly. We dislike that long walk in ski boots and difficulty of getting to the lifts in Park City and the Canyons with no place to change into ski boots except in the car. It is much more economical to rent in Kimball Junction and because we are senior citizens we are a bit beyond the downtown experience except for an occasional dinner out and will avoid the town at all costs during Sundance! We like the idea of being able to walk to a grocery store and the shops in Redstone. We have actually been into a couple of the Foxpoint units but just can't seem to picture Newpark. From the maps, it looks like it is on the other side of Redstone Plaza from Foxpoint. I was wondering if Newpark might be close enough to I80 to have more traffic noise and also if there is still construction going on there. Do they both seem to be in an "equal" location to you?

isy
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

OOps, sorry, Dayle. Forgot your "y"!
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:36 AM

They are both near traffic but Newpark is closer to the main Hwy (80), Foxpoint is closer to hwy 224. Newpark has more of a hotel feel to me and Foxpoint more of a standard condo complex.

If you choose foxpoint, look for a place that is farther from hwy 224. They are both walking distance to the redstone complex of restaurants and shopping.

I personally like the style of Newpark better but haven't inspected them in detail. This is just an impression from driving by. Their locations are VERY similar; really they are almost contiguous.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

That's helpful, ncounty. Thanks.

isy
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Yes, they are right next to each other. Foxpoint is larger with far more condos buildings. I believe they are all townhouses. Newpark has townhouse condos and a condo-hotel high rise with retail on the ground floor. Foxpoint has garages, as do the Newpark townhouses. The Newpark Hotel is a combination of covered and uncovered parking. That might make a difference, especially in the winter.

Since you are familiar with Park City, then it's really up to you which you might want.

I do know the other ski areas have locker room facilities too where you can change your boots/shoes, not just Deer Valley.

Hi ncounty!
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Hi Dayle!

whichever you choose, have a fabulous time next winter, isy! Park city is fabulous.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM

ncuonty,

When will you be up next? We MUST get together for some wine on the patio! I'll be around for Mem weekend.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM

I think this is the first memorial day I will miss in years, Dayle. I'll be there for a very quick in and out trip in early June for some work that has to be done.... otherwise, I am planning third week of august for a real trip. I'll call you if I get a break during the work trip in June. Hoping for some gorgeous flowers with all the rain it looks like you've been getting this spring! I can't wait to see my lilacs and peonies.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think we'll go with a townhouse in Newpark.

isy