Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Paris, NY/NY, MGM, Mirage???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/paris-ny-ny-mgm-mirage-709900/)

ElaineMcMull Jun 2nd, 2007 07:33 AM

Paris, NY/NY, MGM, Mirage????

We have one night to see Vegas on route to CA. Never having been there I want to find the "perfect" place to stay but not spend a fortune. After reading messages I realizeI want to be centrally located and be able to see the fountain show and do the rollar coaster at NY. I need help deciding--there are too many to chose from. Any advice will be appreciated!

Luv2see Jun 2nd, 2007 07:43 AM

MGM is the least of my favorite of your choices. I'd stay a little far down the strip to be centrally located. Try Monte Carlo, Treasure Island. My first choice however is the Mandalay.

When we have traveled on the "cheap" with our twenty something's we have stayed at the Tropicana. Very clean and hospitable resort.

Paris is also a highly recommended resort.

SusanCS Jun 2nd, 2007 08:19 AM

We love Paris. The location is perfect!

nanabee Jun 2nd, 2007 08:25 AM

I just returned from Las Vegas and stayed at Planet Hollywood. Which was nice. PH has a nice (but expensive) shopping mall.

We walked thru the Paris and it is like being in France - (or Disneyland) it has the Parisian lamp posts and cobblestone "streets," cute French stores, the ceiling is painted with whispy clouds and soft blue sky, giant trees with outdoor cafes...etc.

This is all inside the lobby!

texasjo Jun 3rd, 2007 07:07 AM

If you know you want to be centrally located, then Paris is the one. We've stayed there and it is very nice and you will be right across from the fountains (my favorite!) We had a room with a view of the fountains (standard rate but front desk was accommodating because it was my BD).

We've also stayed at NY/NY and it's fun. Packages often include 2-for-1 coaster rides. DH and DD rode--not me, very high and very fast! They loved it but didn't choose to ride again :) It's convenient even though it's not central--the Deuce bus (all day for $5) is nearby and stops all up and down the Strip and goes downtown.

ElaineMcMull Jun 3rd, 2007 07:57 AM

Thank you. What about Treasure Island? Also,what is the procedure to see if an upgrade is available?

Gekko Jun 3rd, 2007 09:49 AM

One night in Las Vegas? Stay at the best:

www.wynnlasvegas.com

SAnParis Jun 3rd, 2007 11:29 AM

Paris of the ones you have mentioned. I also like MB but not for a first-timer.

texasjo Jun 3rd, 2007 12:15 PM

We have never stayed at Treasure Island but played there a couple of times years ago and now never go there. To us, it seems closed-in, very dark and dreary.

As for upgrades, don't know if there are any procedures other than comps. I told hotel clerk I was celebrating my BD (a "decade" one) and he didn't tell us he was upgrading but we got a room with a view of the fountains, which was an upgrade. Might try telling him it's your first time ever in Vegas and hope for the best.