Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Parents - What is your favorite family friendly resort?

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new mom, I'd like to begin compiling an assortment of family friendly resorts in the US. I love to travel so recommendations in any region of the US would be great. As an example, the Homestead Resort is on my list because they offer a children's spa (extravagent I know but you get the idea). So experienced parents, what is your favorite and why?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM

We love The Grand Lake Lodge in Grand lake Colorado.
It offers a beautiful lodge with a big fireplace and fabulous restuarant that overlooks the lake. There is a big porch with a big porch swing that overlooks the lake as well. The adults can have a cocktail and the kids can have a hot chocolate!
Up in back in the Mts there are small cabins with a kitchentte and bathroom and 2 bedrooms. They are vry private, with no tv's, etc...
There is a heated swimming pool, Horse backriding, hiking, etc...
The little town below has cute shops, restuarants,etc..
As far as the lake you can rent a boat, and there is darling little area with a beach for the little ones.
I HIGHLY reccomend it. I think the website is - grandlakelodge.com.
Very family freindly.
it is about 2 hours NW of Denver.
My family loved it....
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:03 PM

For skiing-Smuggler's Notch in Vermont. They have a great ski school for kids and lots of other activities. It's completely geared to families.

To cool off in the summer Chetola Resort-Blowing Rock, NC. Another good children's program (at least it was three years ago). They have an indoor pool, rec center and tennis (organized doubles, singles etc.). There is a small lake where you can canoe, paddleboat and fish. The property is vast with lots of trails for hiking. It is a bit upscale, but not over the top--but hey, if you like the idea of children's spa you'll like that!
You can choose from condos to a room at the inn overlooking the lake.

The Greystone Inn-on Lake Toxaway in NC is wonderful. It's a more intimate version of Chetola (love the lakeside family suite) plus golf and water skiing etc. on the lake (you can rent boats).

Orlando-The Hyatt Grand Cypress. I used to recommend the villas, but they need a facelift. Huge pool with grottos, waterslides, waterfalls etc. In addition to all the above (minus the lake) they have an equestrian program and A SPA!

Sorry to tease you about the spa
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:08 PM

oops, hit post too fast.

Anyway, just kidding about the spa. My DD and I have had lots of fun doing spa treatments together. Harrod's was a hoot--DD (12 at the time) laughed hysterically as my masseuse literally spent about 30 minutes giving me one of those karate chop massages--I thought those were only on sitcoms!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:15 PM

We really like Hilton Head, SC but not because of any specific resort. I've found you can rent a nice house a short walk to the beach (with your own pool) for a reasonable price (as long as you don't go during peak season - which early June/late August isn't). Lots of family friendly dining options and activities on the island - very relaxing!!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Just got back from the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg. I'm becoming quite the schill for the place I loved it so much. For families there are condos to rent or guestrooms. Outdoor pool, indoor pool, racquet ball, indoor basketball, gameroom, 9 hole complimentary golf course, tennis course, tons of family oriented activites (ie family nearest to the hole contest, barbeques followed by an outdoor movie, tennis lessons) plus shuttles to Busch Gardens and Water Country. All at a 4* resort on the banks of the James River. Plus there is a spa for kids as young as 12!!

Also check out the Mt. Washington in Bretton Woods NH - very old very New England.

And there's always Disney!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Jayne11159 - They are showing the Hyatt Grand Cypress on Great Hotels on the Travel Channel right now! It looks like such fun! I love the "dive-in" movie option at the pool.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM

I know this is a relatively old post, but any more ideas?
Thinking towards summer w/ the kids!!

Anne
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Tess

Loved loved loved Marriott World Center in Orlando. We're not huge Disney people so spent one whole day at the resort last summer (with our 12 and 15 year olds). Lots of activities spread throughout each day (my daughter tie-died a t-shirt out near one of the pools, for example then she and I played Bingo later), huge, free form pool with caves, grottos, a slide and multiple hot tubs built into the different levels. Fun restaurants on site and nearby plus a view of Disney's fireworks from the room at night.

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Maui! Staying at the Grand Wailea. Beautiful hotel and fabulous pool with elevator!, slides, etc. Very kid friendly. Children's program.
Highly recommend.