Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Parental Consent form? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/parental-consent-form-1017763/)

pinkflame1001 Jun 21st, 2014 05:07 PM

Parental Consent form?

So in July of this year, my aunt is going to be flying with me to Florida from New Jersey. I know I need to have my birth certificate, but do I need some sort of a parental consent form as well? This is my first time flying, so I really don't know what I'm suppose to be doing exactly. Thanks

nytraveler Jun 21st, 2014 05:12 PM

It would help to know how old you are. Are you sure you're young enough to fly without photo ID?

pinkflame1001 Jun 21st, 2014 05:19 PM

Yes, I'm 15

IMDonehere Jun 21st, 2014 08:14 PM

First call the airline and find out what is an acceptable form of ID.

Does NJ issue a photo ID?

pinkflame1001 Jun 21st, 2014 10:30 PM

I don't think so, but I'll call the Airline tomorrow and see what I need

Hobbert Jun 22nd, 2014 03:31 AM

New Jersey's Motor Vehicle Commission issues non drivers' ID cards to people 14 and over. Just get one of those.

HappyTrvlr Jun 22nd, 2014 06:31 AM

A school photo ID works at some airlports.

nytraveler Jun 22nd, 2014 09:44 AM

I would also have a letter - signed by both parents and notarized stating

1) that you you are allowed to travel where and for how long

2) that your aunt can maked medical decisions for you if necessary

janisj Jun 22nd, 2014 12:54 PM

Per the TSA website - minors don't require photo ID's of any sort. Your birth certificate will be more than sufficient.

>><blue>Q. What ID is needed for minors traveling domestically/internationally?
A. Minor children (younger than 18) are not required to provide an ID at the airport security checkpoint. They will just need their boarding pass. All passengers, including children, on international flights are required to have a passport in their possession.</blue><<

But your aunt will want to have a letter signed by your parents allowing you to travel w/ her.

nytraveler Jun 22nd, 2014 01:28 PM

Yes, but who decides which passengers are "minor children (younger than the age of 18)"? When I was 15 (5' 9", 125 pounds and well developed) I could easily have looked 21 with make-up and the right clothing. And a neighbor of my mothers has a 16 year old son who looks like he's at least 30 (6'2", very large muscular body, very dark heavy beard and nothing at all youthful abut his face).

Even with a birth certificate there is no way that guy would get on a plane without picture ID. (The first time I saw him I thought he was the husband of the new neighbor - she's about 40).

If I were een close I would have some sort of photo ID.

janisj Jun 22nd, 2014 03:54 PM

>>es, but who decides which passengers are "minor children (younger than the age of 18)"? <<

1) he's taking his birth cert which is more than what's required.

and 2) - check the TSA website. Even a 'big' minor doesn't need an ID.

rjasnumberonefan Jun 23rd, 2014 06:49 AM

A Power of Attorney is always a good idea if traveling far enough away from home that a parent would have to fly to reach you. God forbid, you need to be treated in a hospital for an emergency, they would have to wait for parental consent.

Slw Jun 23rd, 2014 08:13 AM

I have flown several times with my minor and sometimes very young grandchildren. All that was ever required was a photo ID or birth certificate. However I agree with rj that having a PoA or notarized letter stating that you have consent to seek medical treatment is a very good idea. I always made sure I had that. Also, in the case of divorced parents, I asked and got written permission from the non-custodial parent to take the child out of state.

tenthumbs Jun 23rd, 2014 10:40 AM

No permission is required for interstate flights.

My parents started taking my minor daughter on trips when she was three and never needed permission from me or my child's father, whether they were traveling within California or to the east coast. Up until she was fifteen, she did not need photo ID~she simply told the TSA agent she was fifteen and had no photo ID. A few of them asked what her DOB was, but there were never any problems.

A consent to treat does not have to be notarized. I always sent one with my parents that they (I listed their names) had my permission to consent to any medical and/or dental treatment they deemed necessary for my minor child (I listed her name and DOB) while she was in their care. I simply signed it, put my contact information and attached copies of her insurance card.

Don't make it too complicated, pinkflame~just enjoy your trip!! :)