Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Papkea Resort - North kaanapoli- Any Thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Chuck

I am booking a condo for the week of New Years at The Papakea Resort. It will be myself, my wife, and our 22 month old son. Has anyone ever been here? It is right next to the Kaanapoli Shores! Any thoughts, comments, or impressions would be helpful.

Old May 29th, 2001, 11:48 AM
bob

It was great

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:37 PM
cindy

Chuck, I don't know that resort, must be on the other side of the Shores. I love the Shores though. Entertainment card is 50% off rooms. Can you do that at Papakea? Do they have a website.

Old May 29th, 2001, 03:02 PM
rheianne

chuck, i stayed at the papakea resorts about four years ago. was there for two weeks, as the lucky guest of a friend whose family owned a rental unit there. with respect to the facilities, there were two pools, hot tub, tennis courts, putting greens and barbeques. the grounds were well manicured and were kept up very nicely. the buildings were three story structures (maybe four?) with lanais attached to the oceanview units. parking is ample, and located near the individual condos. there is no beach at all in front of the resort, just a sea wall with a rocky, sandy mix directly below. i tried to snorkel around there, but there wasn't much to look at. adjacent to the wall, is a stretch of lawn with deck chairs set out for sunbathing. you still get a view of the ocean, just no beach. as to the units themselves, the one we stayed in was relatively nice. i got the impression that the condition of the unit depended primarily upon the owner's dedication to keeping it presentable. friday nights they had local entertainment (music, hula style dance). all in all i thought the complex was clean, well maintained, relatively quiet, and was in a pretty good location. we drove the 5 to 7 minutes to get to kaanapali or lahaina for the beaches and restaurants. it's definitely not a four or five star facility, probably ranks as a three. but when i was last there, i thought it was in pretty good shape for an older resort. two years later i stayed next door at another three star resort and would have preferred papakea. hope this helps.

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Tammy

stayed next door to papkea resort at the Kaanapali shores on march. I really liked the shores because the beach was out in front. Granted was not a very wide beach but it allowed my sons to play in the sand after we were done being out and about for the day. Papkea grounds seemed okay but I never saw the inside of a unit. Do a search as I seem to recall reading about papkea before. You could always ask to see your unit forst and if it isn't up to your expectations ask for another. You will have a wonderful time!

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:44 AM
john

you'll enjoy it

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:21 AM
steve

I stayed there and it was nice. more thatn I expected, of course you don't get the service or the amenaties of a hotel

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Bob

Just stayed there 2 months ago, it was nice!