Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Panama City Beach w/ family at Spring Break time?

Nov 29th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Is it safe and enjoyable for a family (1 daughter - age 6) to visit PCB in late March? Or is it too overrun with college spring breakers? Also would appreciate hotel recommendations. Looking for beach and walkable activities. Thanks.
Nov 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM

My wife and I used to visit Panama City Beach every year, ending about ten years ago. We loved it. We got some cold days, since we went from January to March, but the great majority of days were beautiful. We always stayed at the Sunnyside Beach and Tennis Club, in Sunnyside, which is at the western end of PCB. They have town homes for rent, and they have a great recreation building, with a nice field house with pool tables, bingo and other recreational activities. They have a bunch of tennis courts and they are right across the road from a beautiful Gulf beach, where you can take in the sun on nice days, or you can just stroll on the beach. The best part is that there is a tunnel beneath the road, so you are not exposed to the traffic on the road to reach the beach. Most of the guests there are Canadian or from Minnesota and Michigan. I know they are still in business, but I don't know the rates they charge or if there are any openings. Many people there bought young kids, and the young ones were always occupied. The facility had a horseshoe shape, with the open end of the horseshoe being the opening to go to the beach. I think it would be an ideal place for a visit with young kids. The spring breakers all hung out at the far eastern end of PCB, and we didn't see them at all, unless we wanted to go to points east.
Nov 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM

But don't expect to go in the Gulf unless you, too, are from Canada, Minnesota, or Michigan, preferably the UP

Most colleges hacce their breaks earlier in March, tho kids may come down on weekends throughout the spring.
Nov 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM

My daughter and scores of her closest friends Spring-Breaked at Panama City last year and are returning this year. Their break is the 3rd week in March - many are the week prior - but by the final week in March most breaks are over.

And she and her friends did rent some run down houses in the eastern part. From what she has told me and from the photos she has shown me, this is not where you want to be unless you are of the perpetual keg party mentality - but good to know from above response that there are nicer areas.
Nov 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM

As I said, the place I recommend is on the FAR WESTERN END ofPCB
Dec 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM

I own a townhome at the very west end of PCB. It is a fabulous place to bring your family with small children during spring break if you rent at the west end of the beach. ( My daughter used to call our end of the beach the "geriatric end of the beach". She is now 30 with a child of her own and loves it! Pirates Cove, Shoreline Villas, The Shores and Ramsgate are some privately owned units that some homeowners rent at that end. For high rises with lots of family oriented things to do try Splash, Calypiso's and Celadon.