Panama City Beach - Trip Report

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panama City Beach - Trip Report

This past week Aug. 6-10. I and my SO took a trip to PCB for a softball tourney. First and foremost, we stayed at the Sterling Breeze condominiums and it was beautiful.

Condo Overview:
They have a wine bar that is poolside, and will pick up a wine not on their list if you ask them (something I discovered on the last day of our trip). Also, the bar does serve food, beer, and cocktails.

All condos were beachfront and our particular condo was a 2BR/2BA with 1,300 sq.ft. which is larger than our current 2BR apartment. Internet access in the condo was free too. The master had it's own separate entrance to the balcony area. The balcony also had a grill! Something I haven't seen at other beach condos.

Day 1: We arrive in PCB around 4/central time, unpack and take in the magnificint view from the 20th floor. Shortly there after we ready ourselves for the opening party at the Paradise Found hotel. SO drinks lots of free beer, the keg is empty and we return to the condo w/friends who now regret booking at the Day's Inn. Sometime around 2am, lots of beer and pizza later we head off to bed.

Day 2: This is opening day of the tournament. SO wins the first game at 4 and we head back to the condo to ready ourselves for a night out. Coyote Ugly, definitly a place for a 20 something to see and be seen. I'm 24, but a little on the conservative side so it wasn't exactly my scene, and it wasn't like the movie. A little dissappointed we moved on to Club LaVela while it is huge place it wasn't very busy, but it was only Thursday so the weekends are probably a lot busier.

Day 3: We spend the first part of the day soaking in the rays at the beach and then take the dreaded trip to Wal-Mart and pick up steaks for grilling and other essentials for the remainder of the trip. After unloading we head to the field for a game at 4PM, they win that game and we go to dinner at the Hofbrau Beer Garden, which was a very fun atmosphere. We had planned on dining at Capt. Anderson's, but with more games being scheduled at 8pm figured we wouldn't be able to swing that and be back in time for the next game. Sometime later that evening they lose their 3rd game which places them in the losers bracket and now they have to play MORE games...UGH!..AHH!...

Day 4 (Saturday, the final full day): I decided I've had my fill of softball for the moment and don't have much time left for relaxing and enjoying my time so my SO heads to the 9:15am game with out me. Shorly there after I get a call saying the game was delayed until 10:15, but I wasn't too upset as I was spending time poolside and sipping my pina coloda.
My SO headed back to the condo between games after finding out the whole rest of the days games were on a delayed schedule. After a rest we headed back to the field only to wind up being there for the rest of the night. The team came in 2nd, and our final night and opportunity for seafood had passed. We had Taco Bell and called it a day.

Day 5: We ready ourselves for check-out @10am and sadly left our condo. The ride home, I must say, was the worst return trip I've had of any vacation to date. First we decide we want to stop at an HRC for a collectible pin on the way home. Garmin tells us thers an HRC in Decatur, AL which will only throw us off our route by about 20-30 mins. Well,...as far as I can tell there has never been (or probably will never be) a HRC built in Decatur, AL. because it's not a very large town. By this point we are starving and swing in to a tiny mexican restaurant because we both love mexican food. The cheese dip had a hair in it, so that pretty much destroyed the one meal we had eaten all day.
Shortly thereafter while driving through Nashville we get a flat tire at around 7pm and of course this is a Sunday mind you...we drive the rest of the trip at 55mph all the way back to Louisville. We arrive home sometime around 1am, and I'm glad to be home.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

This (*on a doughnut)should be inserted between 55mph and all in the final paragraph.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I'm sorry to hear your PC trip was less than ideal. Hope you give it another try sometime.

Just wondering, by "HRC", do you mean Hard Rock Cafe?

Thanks for posting this report.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Hard Rock Cafe. I really loved PCB, and plan on going again. We tried to make it a vacation where possible, but the tourney was the first priority and the main reason we were there; so it's not a big deal. At least it was in a beautiful setting if nothing else.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:59 AM

If you're in the area again, the closest HRC is in Destin. I don't think Decatur will ever get a HRC!