Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Palmer House - good bet for one night in Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two adults and one 12 yr old have one late afternoon Saturday to mid day Sunday in Chicago in early August. If we want to do an insta greet tour in Chicago and maybe the architectural boat tour in that space of time, how is Palmer House? That aside, HOW is Palmer House?? I see it isn't too far from the Amtrak station, which might be noisy and some folks on Trip Advisor say slow elevators. I can kill some time waiting for elevators if my Fodorite friends endorse the property. If this hotel has some significant down sides, what do you recommend as favorite alternatives in the $200 to $350 range?
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time I stayed there (in a so-called "business class" room) I certainly did NOT hear any railroad noise and Union Station is more than just a couple blocks away.

Slow elevators? Didn't find that to be the case but depends on what you think of as "slow" I guess.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM

I love Palmer House. I've stayed there several times, and I've never heard noise from the train. I've also never experienced slow elevators; might have a been a convention during the time the people who wrote on TA stayed there?

My rooms have always been delightful (and clean!!!), and I like the Palmer House because it's in a nice central location and I could walk to whereever I needed to go.

I've also stayed at the Hilton on Michigan Ave. Now admittedly, my room was a suite with a wall of windows and overlooked Lake Michigan, so I'm not sure what the price would be like. The view, however, was amazing!
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 02:37 AM

In general, I like the Palmer House better than the Hilton. The public areas will blow your 12 year old away, and it is convenient to just about everything.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Agree with you, Ackislander, on the public areas at Palmer House. They are stunning...
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 04:33 AM

Another endorsement of the Palmer House. There is no noise problem, and as others have said, "What slow elevators?" And, even it there were, would that in itself be a good-enough reason not to stay there????????
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. The rate is good and the photo of the lobby does look amazing. The Hilton on Michigan Ave is booked that day so I will opt for the Palmer House! And as for slow elevators, perhaps the fellow who wrote the TA review was an impatient sort!
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The elevator is probably slow compared to the one in the Willis (Sears) tower up to the observation deck.
Interesting video shown in the elevator up the Willis.
The traffic noise including honking taxis is always worse than any train noise including the El.
Adams Street is under construction including the bridge over the Chicago River.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Had to provide feedback about our stay this past weekend. The Plamer House is in a beautiful location, is a magnificent historic property, with a fabulous concierge. Room was very quiet. The hotel is next to the El but we did not hear it at all. However, it was a very busy weekend at the hotel (three weddings in addition to family reunions and other big group events) and the elevators were quite slow. That it is a typical phenomenon is clear from the seating in front of the elevator on each floor ( round victorian "waiting sofas" on each floor in front of the elevator banks). I would stay again but any business person would definitely need to build the waiting time into his or her dailey itinerary.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 03:11 AM

Thanks for the post trip report. Wish more did that.

Did you sit in Frank Sinatra's table?
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Had we known of that we surely would have. My husband is a huge fan. We loved the photos of Frank and the other celebreties who played at the Palmer House in the hallway to our room. Next time!