Reload this Page >

Palm Springs - what's the big deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:56 PM
renee

I live in Southern california so Palm Springs is an easy get-away. But, I went once and was bored. Anything to do besides golf? Any good restaurants? Thanks.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:04 AM
barbara

I'm certain PS local will have something to say, but.. I enjoy Palm Springs. It's hard to know what someone is looking for. I live in N Cal and enjoy the warmth,and lack of fog. I find the desert beautiful. I love the small town feeling and staying somewhere I can walk to good meals. Try La Valuris.We did a few weeks ago and it was wonderful- and thats from someone who eats regularly at great Bay area restaurants. I like the '50's architecture and Joshua Tree. I even love the old "Rat Pack" feel of some of the less "up to date" spots. Vegas has more action..just depends what you want. I think it's a great place to relax! Plus, where else would you find an "Ask the Rabbi" booth at the Thursday night market?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Suzie

We ate in one really great restaurant and one good one while we were there in February. Le St. Germaine was very good and our waiter Willie made our visit thoroughly enjoyable. We also ate at Al Dente which was good. Small restuarant made larger when the weather is nice enough to sit outside.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:52 AM
chris

I always think of Palm Springs as one of two things: a place for geriatrics and a place for muscle-bound gay circuit parties.

I sppose golf would make that three things.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Suzie

Well Chris you may be right about the geriatric crowd. While in PS recently we visited the Nest or the Birds Nest or something like that. In the bar the piano player was playing all the Sinatra/Rat Pack tunes and the crowd was definitly older than us (we're 40ish). In walks some very much older, really suave-looking guys, you know sweater tied over the shoulders etc. As we were leaving the sweater guy leans in really close to my sister and says "Now don't forget to come back". Not sure what he had in mind but we didn't return to find out.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 09:15 AM
xxx

Palm Springs has great weather 8 months out of the year (the months when the rest of the nation is cold and yucky). I was out there last weekend and was blessed with sunny warm weather (in the 80's) and clear blue skies. There are some great resorts, good shopping and wonderful restauarants. What a great place for a relaxing weekend! The Tram, the Living Desert, hiking and horseback riding in the canyons, tennis, golf...so many outdoor activities to choose from. It offers daytime activities plus some great nightlife options. It's your own fault if one finds themselves bored in the area...there are so many things to choose from. Obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way - the place is packed every weekend during the season. And just so you know, I'm in my early 30's and straight, so don't think it's just for old and homosexual tourists.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 10:31 AM
PS Local

Depends on what you like to do.

If you are an outdoors person, there is a lot besides golf. Cultural opportunities are limited, like any small town, though there is a performing arts center and a few museums.

No doubt there are lots of the blue rinse retired set in the desert and a sizeable gay community. What I have noticed in the last few years, however, is a good influx of male and female twenty and thirtysomethings (like me) that make a pretty good crowd mix in the more lively downtown clubs (Muriel's, Village Pub, Peabody's, Blue Guitar, Las Casuelas Terraza etc). For god sakes, avoid places like The Nest
:-0, which is actually out in Indian Wells.