Palm Springs to Burbank Airport and LAX to PS

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Palm Springs to Burbank Airport and LAX to PS

We will be driving from LAX to PAlm Springs
around 10AM on a Sat morning. I have read posts about the slow travel on the highways out of LA to PS. Same on Sat morning? Then our return flight is out of Burbank (the airfare was best with this arrangement). How will the drive be to Burbank-better on a Sat morning from PS? Best route for both airports/Palm Springs?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I just drove back from Palm Springs this past Saturday. All I can say is just make sure you give yourself extra time.

My drive was a nightmare. There were two accidents on the 215. From Palm Springs to where I live, I would take the 10/60-215/91 to the south bay - very close to LAX. Instead I sat on the 60 for 30 minutes to move about 2 miles onto the 215, then saw the 91 was packed, so continued on the 60, which got packed at the 57, so I took that south to the 91 etc. It took over 3 hours to get home.

Sorry for the mini vent! To answer your question, you have a few choices from LAX, and on any given day, any of them can stink. Listen to the traffic reports before you leave. AM980 does them on the 1's (2:11, 2:21, 2:31 etc). You will eventually have to get on the 10. Whether you should do that early on (taking the 105/605/10 for instance), or later in the game (105, 110, 91, 60, 10), depends on the traffic. I am sorry I can't be of more help...traffic can be hellish on Saturday too. Maybe the others can help on the other routes from LAX, but I can tell you that when I go out to visit my friend in Riverside County, I consistently hit traffic on the 91 East from about the Weir Canyon exit all the way into Corona/Riverside. This happens usually if I leave after 10.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM

Palm Springs to Burbank is 10 West to 210 West to 134 West , get into leftmost lanes until you pass Forest Lawn exit signs....then start getting into right lanes, exit Buena Vista, go straight (on Buena Vista northbound) through maybe 10 traffic lights, just over the railroad tracks turn left on Empire, go about a mile, (you will see Amtrak station on the left), look ahead on the right for the rear entrance marked "RENTAL CAR RETURNS"(just past traffic light). Each parking lane is a different car rental company. This is for Hertz, National, Avis or Alamo. (Different directions for Budget, hope that's not your car.)

Saturday traffic usually isn't too bad but accidents happen.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info--I have been to LA many,many years on business. Somehow, I have always been traveling the opposite direction of the bad jams. I will hope for clear roads, after all, we deserve it. We are coming from temps in the 20's STILL, so we deserve the most time possible in Palm Springs desert weather! I am happy to have alternate suggestions to help us!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Mizrahi

From LAX to PS take the 405 North to the 10 East- (much better route than taking the 60) all the way to Palm Springs. Traffic may be heavy in LA but should be pretty smooth after that.

Try Coyote Tacos just west of the outlet mall at Cabazon if you've never been.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Mizrahi--thanks for another tip--the Coyote Tacos may suit us. We are from the north and are happy to have SW area food. I have all the suggested travel routes--cross your fingers--we want to be at our heated pool by mid afternoon!