Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Palm Springs in the Cooler Months (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/palm-springs-in-the-cooler-months-750718/)

welch Nov 27th, 2007 12:22 PM

Palm Springs in the Cooler Months

I've loved visiting PS in the late spring, as I love warm weather!
My 25th anniversary is next week and the thought of a few days there has crossed my mind.
We live in the SF Bay area and it's cooling off up here.
What's it like in Palm Springs in December??! I'm assuming the pools are heated... (and yes, I have checked weather.com)

Pildredge Nov 27th, 2007 12:58 PM

Warm during the day unless it's very cloudy. and can be cold at night in Dec. P/S can be very windy in Dec as Dec/Jan are the worst mos. for the Santa Ana winds.
Don't miss the Tram trip to the top of the San Jacinto Mtns.

MBnancy Nov 27th, 2007 02:27 PM

We just came back from a week in Palm Desert. The weather was in the high 70s and the pools are great. It did cool off at night, and we needed a jacket when we went out to dinner.

dmlove Nov 27th, 2007 02:46 PM

Palm Desert (all of California actually) has had a particularly warm fall this year. It is much more typical for the daytime temps to hover around 70 degrees in December. Plan accordingly!

dmlove Nov 27th, 2007 02:50 PM

Historical temps for the 27th of each month:

December 70
January 73
February 78
March 83
April 90
May 97

November, December and January are pleasant but not warm months in the desert.

welch Nov 27th, 2007 03:11 PM

Thanks for these replies!
I think of the Santa Anas as warm winds. Do they feel that way in the desert in the winter?
Looks like it'll be mid-low 70's during the days. Could stretch that to "pool weather" if the sun is shinning!

dmlove Nov 27th, 2007 04:03 PM

Are you planning to go next week (I didn't realize you gave specific dates)? Accuweather says it will warm up starting on the 4th -- it'll be 75-76-77 the weekend of December 7th-9th. That's plenty warm for the pool!

MBnancy Nov 27th, 2007 05:04 PM

Those were about the same temps we had last week, and we were in the pools every day, including Thanksgiving!

Happy Anniversary!

Pildredge Nov 28th, 2007 12:22 PM

The Santa ana winds typical in that area come from the Northeast and can be very bad at times. This year is so far pretty windy. I have been in P/S when the winds were clocked at 60 mph, these wind speeds can topple loaded 18 wheelers and cause all kinds of trouble. Remember that when talking of these winds, timing is everything.

RBCal Nov 28th, 2007 01:11 PM

The only windy area of Palm Springs is the northern part of the city. The winds come down from the pass there which is why the windmills are located there. If you stay south of Vista Chino you will experience virtually no wind since the mountains to the west block it.

Compared to virtually anywhere in the continental USA, Palm Springs is warmer in December and February than most everywhere. December is typically the coolest month. However, even in December you can swim in the heated pools (I have in December).