Palm Beach to Miami Drive

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palm Beach to Miami Drive

I am traveling to FL in October for an event at the Miami-Dade Fair Expo Center. I am actually staying in Palm Beach and must commute every day (Friday through Monday) to the Expo Center. I have heard that the Miami morning commute is horrific, so am looking for some advice: 1) how long should I allow for this commute? (worst case scenario please, as I MUST be at the Expo Center by 8:00 every morning); 2) best route; 3) is there any public transport available we can hook up with to avoid the commute by car; and 3) what is the parking situation like (availability, $$$)in this area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Horrific is an appropriate description. The good news is the commute is manageable on Saturday and Sunday by car via I-95 to the exit for Miami Beach - if you leave by 6:15am you will be there by 8. For Friday and Monday, you can take a commuter train - it's inexpensive(see www.tri-rail.com). I live in West Palm Beach and have done this commute several times. Parking at the expo center is eiter $1.00 or $2.00 per hour. The expo center in Miami Beach has a large parking lot adjacent and several parking garages surrounding, so finding parking once you arrive there should be easy. Hope this info is helpful.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was doing some research in the interim and discovered the tri-rail...would you know the specific station stop I should take nearest the Expo? There are quite a few stations listed and I don't know which one would be closest.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 11:16 AM

The center in Miami Beach is usually called the Miami Beach Convention Center, and the Fair Expo Center is on SW 16 st. and 107th Avenue. If you can, post the address of the actual site so we can give you more specific info on how to get there.

The commute into Miami on I-95 shouldn't be too difficult, particularly on the weekend, especially if you have to be here by 8am. Traffic will be heavy into downtown, dissipating after that. It should take about 1 hour and 15 minutes either way, to be safe about 1.5 hours.

Tri-Rail would require a transfer to a bus because no station is near either of these venues. While it is comfortable, I don't think there will be any time savings. You would have to check the Tri-Rail site and the Miami Dade Transit Authority site (www.miamidade.gov and navigate from there) to find a suitable interface for the train and bus.

Not knowing the exact location, can't really give you a best route although I-95 will be the route you will most likely have to take across the county lines. Parking in both of the possible venues is good, as mentioned in the other response for Miami Beach, plentiful and free at the other place. The other place is where the Dade County Fair sets up, so there are fields and fields for parking.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

The exact location of the venue is 10901 Coral Way -- it is the Fair Expo center, as their website speaks of the fair grounds. The event is in Arnold Hall and Coliseum.
I would much prefer to drive, though I was concerned about getting stuck in a "parking lot" traffic situation. But having to take a bus once we got to Miami would put us in the same situation! If we were to leave before 6:00 a.m. from Palm Beach on the commuter days (Fri and Mon), would that give us sufficient time? As I mentioned, we MUST be there by 8:00. Any tips regarding directions would be appreciated. Thanks so much -- KT
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Okay, it is at the fairgrounds. I think the best way to get there is to take I-95 south to 836 west. It should be about an hour and 15 minutes, but I'll notice exactly tomorrow as I'm doing that drive. Take 836 west to NW 107th avenue exit, south. About 3 miles south will get you to the Fair Expo on your right.

Traffic will be heavy on I-95 until downtown Miami, 836 will be against traffic. there will be traffic when you get off on 107 because it is a busy street, but not too much.

I think if you have to be there at 8, it's a little earlier than rush hour, so leaving at 6 should be early enough. Parking will probably be free.

Besides your commute, have fun down here!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

You are an angel (all of you)! Thanks for the advice. I feel much better about my trip now that I have some local info. The drive sounds manageable, and we are looking forward to our travels!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM

We did the drive this morning (life calls, even if we still have no electricity b/c of Katrina!). I actually forgot one way to get there and it is the easiest.

Take I-95 to the Turnpike (big intersection of many highways). Go west on the Florida Turnpike. It has some tolls, but you will avoid the traffic of downtown Miami. Exit the Turnpike at SW 8th Street. Go east maybe half a mile, make a right on SW 107 Ave., and the fairgrounds will be on your right. I still say at least an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half, but it will be the quickest, least stressful way to go.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again, amcc. I appreciate the update...especially kind with your other hurricane-related worries. So, so sad to watch the news. I am on the New England coast, so can appreciate how devastating it must all be. Thoughts are with all of you in FL/MS/AL/LA...