Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Palisade Colorado B&B or Inns? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/palisade-colorado-b-and-b-or-inns-342846/)

Coskier Jul 30th, 2003 12:01 PM

Palisade Colorado B&B or Inns?

I am trying to plan for the Colorado Mountain Wine Festival in Sept. On the web page it list the Adams Mark in Durango as the "host" hotel. I much prefer a B&B if anyone can suggest one. Thanks!

flopmeister Jul 30th, 2003 12:15 PM

ah. i can tell you which one to avoid: it's Los Altos, which is in Grand Junction, about 15 miles from palisade. Very uptight hosts, and a very ho-hum experience for the money. My advice would be to stay at adams mark. Why? for the pool. most b&b's dont have them and even in Sept it's HOT HOT HOT. You may also want to check out VRBO.com to see if there are any properties nearby, especially with a larger group.

Coskier Jul 30th, 2003 12:20 PM

thanks Flopmeister, I realized I said Durango, meant Grand Junction, but then you knew that ;) Always good to know the bad as well as the good.

flopmeister Jul 30th, 2003 01:30 PM

I am a big fan of B & B's as well, but really the way to go is a hotel with a pool. it is crushingly hot in that part of the world, even in September.

gmin Jul 31st, 2003 06:30 AM

I would stay at the Adam's Mark. As a resident of the Grand Junction area, I haven't seen the individual rooms, but the public spaces are nice. The pool and patio are shaded and overlook a private golf course. It is only about a 10-12 minute drive to Palisade and the majority of the wineries. It is still quite hot mid-September so dress accordingly.

Sorry I can't help on B&Bs in this area.

Coskier Jul 31st, 2003 07:19 AM

Thanks Gmin, seems that this event is very popular no rooms ant any of the B&Bs I found, Adams Mark sold out too. Ah well will try as it gets closer for cancellations

gmin Jul 31st, 2003 06:11 PM

Coskier, From where are you coming to the Wine Festival? Also, are you coming to ride in the bicycle tour or to taste test or what? If you are just interested in the area and the tasting, you would do almost as well to come at a bit different time. The wine-tasting in the Palisade Park, although featuring wineries from across the state, is quite busy and, IMHO, expensive. It is just as enjoyable,I think, to visit the wineries on your own and take the time to talk to the owners who often are available. Most of Colorado's wineries are within a couple of hours of Palisade with Palisade and Grand Junction home to around 10 or so, all open for tasting, I believe. Late September is delightful around here and I'm sure you would enjoy your visit at that time.

Coskier Aug 1st, 2003 06:11 AM

Grim, thans for the info, we were interested in the bike event as well as the wine dinners, but no one has space. I used to live in Santa Barbara and like you would encourage folks to go to the winerys in off peak times. I agree that it is great to go when you can meet and drink with the owners!

flopmeister Aug 1st, 2003 07:35 AM

IMHO the wineries are a little ho-hum. Have something else planned for sure.