Paging Suze: Lodging in Oahu

Old Feb 7th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paging Suze: Lodging in Oahu

Hi Suze!

I know you've posted some of your favorite budget Oahu hotel picks in the past, but I'm having a problem locating them via the advanced search.

I have a good friend going to Oahu for the first time in April. She'll be traveling with a girlfriend, and I'm guessing that $150/night would be at the very top of their list for lodging. Do you have any recommendations for good budget options in Waikiki area?

They will likely rent a car for part of the time to explore Dole, North Shore, etc.

I'm stumped on their lodging options, as I always stay with a friend or get a condo on the North Shore.

Thanks!!
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 02:41 AM

Suze Suze, Where fore art thou?
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
White Sands on Nohonani
Waikiki Sand Villa
The Breakers on BeachWalk
Royal Grove
The Park Shore
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi beanweb! (clarkgriswold copied my usual list- haha)

I stayed most recently at White Sands Hotel and liked it a lot. 3-story place around a pool courtyard. Good location. Right about $150/night. Worth paying for a pool-view room, the cheapest rooms overlook the parking lot/street.

I also had a very good stay at Waikiki Sand Villa. Which is a little bit less money but also a little further from the beach (back by the Ala Wai canal). Great pool area, free computers for internet, friendly staff. Worth paying for a higher category room (higher floor of the hotel) to avoid street noise.

The Royal Grove is very popular (so popular I've yet to be able to get a reservation there myself). Their website always shows no vacancy. So if they are interested in this one, get on the phone. It's the cheapest on the list and offers kitchenettes. Closest to the beach.

The Breakers is nice but comes in higher than $150 once you put the taxes on.

If you have any other questions, ask away. Happy to help if I can. -suze
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 08:45 AM

Oh and if they don't need/want a pool you can add Ewa and Prince to the list. Those are the right price, good locations, but I've never tried them as I "have" to have a pool in Hawaii -lol!
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 08:53 AM

There are a few owners who rent condos at The Hawaiian King (used to be a hotel now all condos) which is right next door to White Sands and similar in style. I had a 2-bedroom very resonable price one trip when I went with a friend and we needed separate rooms, we rented thru Pat Winston. You can google these.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

This is perfect. Thanks so much for all the info. Very appreciated!
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 08:21 AM

You're most welcome. Let me know if they have any specific questions. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 12:10 PM

150.00 a night you could get a 1 bedroom condo at the Aston waikiki Banyan and save on restaurants and your waist line It is a very short walk like 1 -2 blocks to beach and there are ocean view rooms for that price. VRBO.com Aston Waikiki banyan. I have stayed there several times. Also the Aston Waikiki Sunset might have some via VRBO for around that price as well..Personal but I like Condos for the extra room, the kitchen and the fact that I can do laundry and not have to pack so much. Most also provide beach towels and beach chairs which helps too.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM

I particularly do not like all the high-rise hotels in Waikiki (which may or may not matter to these people). All my suggestions are "old school" and low-rise hotels with a lot of aloha.

Nothing wrong with the big chain hotels, just an entirely different kind of atmosphere.

Just because you are in a hotel room doesn't mean you have to eat out 3 meals a day. Every room I've ever had in Waikiki had at least a small frig and coffee maker. Several had a microwave or stovetop.