Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Paging GoTravel, Beachdweller, and TravelGirl (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/paging-gotravel-beachdweller-and-travelgirl-589707/)

cmcfong Feb 9th, 2006 01:04 PM

Paging GoTravel, Beachdweller, and TravelGirl

I need some help. I am part of a group of roughly 125 people who are gathering in Charleston at the Doubletree to celebrate a birthday in late August. Our big party is Saturday night at the Doubletree. We want to do something as a group on Friday but not at the Doubletree. I have found a caterer who can do a seafood stew for a reasonable price. We will probably do margaritas, beer and wine (which in North Carolina would limit our choice of venues). I am looking for a location. I would love something relatively easily accessed from the Doubletree (no long walking distances, but a cheap cab fare would be OK, otherwise I end up spending a big chunk of my available $$$ on bus or van transportation). A beach, park, a historic house, any ideas? I really think an indoor location or waterfront would be best as Charleston can be brutally hot and humid that time of year. I am checking on the Aquarium, but suspect it is going to be big $$$$'s. Help, please.

starrsville Feb 9th, 2006 04:22 PM

Well, I am none of the above, but what about the Maritime Center. $800 for an 8 hour rental for a group your size.

Here's a link -
http://www.ci.charleston.sc.us/dept/...t.aspx?nid=381

and you can find a link to the rate pdf on that page.

cmcfong Feb 9th, 2006 05:14 PM

You are a champ, Starrsville. I will check it out. Thanks. I will try to return the favor sometime.

travelgirl_67 Feb 10th, 2006 01:20 PM

Honestly, I think the Maritime Center is going to be your best bet as far as price and proximity to the Doubletree. I've been to many events there and have always had a good time...you can walk out on the pier for a great view of the new bridge. The Maritime Center is about 2 blocks from the Aquarium and folks should be able to get there relatively cheap.

A fun way to get to/from the venue would be in our new black cabs that are like the ones in London...their prices are regulated by the city so they are the same as the not so pretty taxis here in Charleston. They are called Charleston Black Cab Company and their number is 216-2627. Since it would a large group, I would suggest ressies in advance.

Since you will have to rent tables, chairs, etc, I suggest Snyder Event Rentals (www.snydereventrentals.com)...they have the best equipment as well as prices...another local company charges more for equipment that is in horrid condition most of the time.

Your caterer may be able to help with this but if not, just contact Snyder's directly. Out of curosity, which caterer will you be using? The Lowcountry Boil (aka Frogmore Stew) is a great idea...a very Charleston thing!

Good luck and let me know if you need any help...it's what I do :)

cmcfong Feb 10th, 2006 02:34 PM

Unfortunately the Maritime Center is already booked. I am also trying to work out a beach place owned by a SC university. Another possible, The Vendue apparently has a very reasonable rate for the roof room so I am working on that as well. Of course if we go with the Vendue we will have to use their kitchen. A big plus is easy access from the Doubletree. Oh, I also got an estimate from the Spirit Cruise Line which might work. So there are some possibilities yet to evaluate. I would love to do the catered private party but I don't want to blow our budget on rentals.
The caterer is Sally West. I went to a party she catered in October and the food was fabulous. It was margaritas and Mexican food and WOW. She does not do huge events . I really think the Fogmore Stew is a brilliant idea since many of the folks at the party have never been to the Low Country. I want them to love it like I do.
Thanks for the good counsel,Travel Girl. I remembered you were taking your official tour guide test. I gather you passed, you seem to know your stuff.

travelgirl_67 Feb 10th, 2006 03:55 PM

Thanks for your kind words! I've studied now I just need to take the test...seems like every time a test is scheduled, I have an event and can't get to the test...oh well, more time to prepare.

Just thought of another place...only downside is you wouldn't be able to use Sally. But it's a thought...Upstairs at Rue de Jean (www.39ruedejean.com/upstairs.html). They do a lowcountry buffet for around $39 a person...don't know if that works with your budget. The restaurant is located on John Street between King and Meeting across from the Visitors Center.

cmcfong Feb 10th, 2006 04:15 PM

I love 39 Rue de Jean. Great food and champagne. I will check on that.
Good luck with the test, you are bound to be a success.

starrsville Feb 10th, 2006 07:10 PM

One thought about the dinner cruise. My company does one every time we have a meeting near any body of water. Most folks hate them. Some even refuse to go. Many use fear of sea-sickness as an excuse (even on the Intracoastal in South Florida :-). Many feel claustrophobic. Some just don't like being stuck on a boat and not being able to leave when they want. No matter the venue, the boat, the food, I would say 30% bitterly complain under their breath - but attendance is mandatory, so they are out of luck. I just wouldn't plan an event on a moving boat.

starrsville Feb 10th, 2006 07:11 PM

The roof of the Vendue would be marvelous (IMHO)

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 10th, 2006 08:25 PM

cmcfong: I would presume ...

If you've got a question about a place, wouldn't putting THAT in your title help more than paging GoTravel, Beachdweller, and TravelGirl?

If it's something they can help you with, chances are they will. And so might others as well; others who might ignore a message addressed to others.

cmcfong Feb 11th, 2006 05:19 AM

Thank you for your suggestion, rb, etc.

cmcfong Feb 11th, 2006 05:25 AM

Starrsville, thank you for your helpful comments. I appreciate it very much.

beach_dweller Feb 11th, 2006 07:34 AM

cmcfong,

I'm not ignoring your post, it's just that I am relatively ignorant about Charleston. I love it, and we go as often as we can, but don't know enough to add anything to the great advice you've already gotten so far.

cmcfong Feb 11th, 2006 07:58 AM

Not a problem, Chuck. Thanks for taking the time to post. I asked for you specifically because I know you live not too far away and locals often know about things we tourists miss. We have snow this am in NC so enjoy your Myrtle Beach Days.....

starrsville Feb 11th, 2006 09:43 AM

5" at my place in the mountains, cmcfong...and I'm not there :-(

cmcfong Feb 11th, 2006 10:09 AM

That's a shame, Starrsville. This is a very pretty snow. It started in earnest around ten this morning. The pups are loving it. If it keeps up...I am out with the snowshoes!

starrsville Feb 11th, 2006 02:08 PM

I'm sure my labs wish they were tromping through it. They have to make do with the mud :-)

cmcfong Feb 11th, 2006 02:12 PM

Come on up...it is still coming down!

starrsville Feb 12th, 2006 08:38 PM

cmcfong, I drove up (for the afternoon) to the winter wonderland. There was at least 4 inches on the ground. My tire tracks barely made a dent in the snow. Absolutley beautiful up there. Enjoy! :-)

cmcfong Feb 13th, 2006 03:15 AM

Great, Starrsville. I hope the labs were with you.