Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pageant of the Masters -- have you done it?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pageant-of-the-masters-have-you-done-it-1461096/)

aliced Jul 30th, 2017 12:04 PM

Pageant of the Masters -- have you done it??

Finally, my girlfriend and I are going -- an event that's been on our bucket list for years. I'll fly out from NJ, she'll fly out from FL. We are staying in Laguna for two nights, and have learned the show is from 8:30-10:30p. Years ago, went to the Sawdust Festival across the street, but we typically (DH and I) do not go to San Diego in the summer since our son & family come east. We'll round out the week's trip staying at my son's in Carlsbad. Can't wait. Just can't figure how they do this, but going to the Tea the day before will hopefully provide some answers, not that we don't want to be surprised! What did you think of it? Now I need restaurant recommendations in Laguna, besides walking next door to Las Brisas.

janisj Jul 30th, 2017 12:31 PM

>>Pageant of the Masters -- have you done it??<<

yes -- twice (Have a friend who went maybe 30 straight years)..I actually didn't stay in Laguna either time (have stayed there a few times in the past). Once it was Dana Pt and and once in San Juan Capistrano. It is amazing.

You will want to spend a few hours at least in the art show. We didn't do tea but had lunch at the the Tivoli Terrace -- better than I expected and really pretty.

I actually like Las Brisas -- as long as you can sit outside.

Big hint -- parking can be a real a bee-atch. Find a space (hopefully where you are staying) and use the shuttle buses.

There are lots of nice restaurants all over Laguna --

aliced Jul 31st, 2017 03:09 AM

Thanks JanisJ, will probably plan to do dinner at Tivoli Terrace before the Pageant, actually think we'll walk over there from hotel. We plan to leave the car parked at hotel, that town is always tough for parking. Can use shuttle for Sawdust Festival and the art fair. Can't wait!

logandog Jul 31st, 2017 01:39 PM

My brother-in-law worked the show for many years so I've been a number of times. Getting there early helps with parking and gives you time to visit the many small galleries on the site.
There is a shaded grass area with tables and live music where you can enjoy drinking wine and beer or snack before the show. The food options inside are limited but fairly tasty.
The weather is usually perfect but you may want a sweater. Bring or rent binoculars to best enjoy the amazing illusions present in each tableau.

janisj Jul 31st, 2017 01:49 PM

>>The weather is usually perfect but you may want a sweater. Bring or rent binoculars to best enjoy the amazing illusions present in each tableau.<<

Big ditto to both of those suggestions. A light sweater is almost always needed by the end/walk home. Last time I had great close up seats and I didn't think I'd need the binoculars but brought a small pair and even then they were useful.

aliced Jul 31st, 2017 02:28 PM

Thanks for the binocs suggestion; have good ones, easy to bring along. Yes, once it's nightfall and walking back to the beach, it gets chilly. Got our Tivoli Terrace resv already, then we'll stroll through galleries. Know southern CA weather well but dont usually visit July/Aug.

lynni Jul 31st, 2017 08:47 PM

Exactly what they said, go early to look around and bring binoculars and a sweater.

We enjoyed meals at Sapphire and Selanne . It is an event like no other. Have a great time!

aliced Aug 1st, 2017 04:13 AM

Ok, great will check out those spots too.