PacNW in July with teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help with trip planning! We used to live in the Seattle area many moons ago and are going back this summer to visit some friends and vacation. I have a general idea of what we're doing - but would love some input since it's been 15+ years since we were last there.
Days 1-3 or 4 Seattle area - visiting friends - will do some sights and show the kids Pike's Place etc. Since visiting local friends - we don't need a lot of suggestions unless people have some 'don't miss' ideas
Weekend - drive down to Cannon Beach for 2 nights. Suggestions on reasonable accommodations on the beach that would have a kitchenette and a couple of bedrooms? Besides hanging out on the beach - any other suggestions of keeping the teenagers occupied?
We have two full days (or we could make it three if we need to) before heading back to Seattle to catch our flight. My daughter would like to visit Rhodes College in Portland - at least a drive by - and then I would like to see the Columbia River Gorge. I've never done a lot in Portland, and never saw the Gorge - so could use some suggestions

Thanks very much!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

One more thing - I've been shopping around for rental vans and can't find any good deals. I've checked Kayak, Hertz Gold Club....everything is $600-$700 minimum.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:21 AM

"Rhodes College in Portland"

???

Do you mean Reed? Or Lewis and Clark? Both are well regarded small schools with nice campuses in Portland.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:50 AM

The only problem I see is trying to find a place in Cannon Beach in July for a reasonable price CB is expensive in the summer, and almost all places have a 2-3 night minimum stay. That said, our family loves the Surfsand Resort. It is right on the water, near Haystack Rock, and a short walk to the heart of downtown. Another place we like is Schooner's Cove, which is also right on the water but pretty much right by downtown. With a family, both of these places are good fits, but of course are not cheap by any means. Also, CB books far in advance for the summer months, so I would get on that asap.

Things our teens like to do there include renting the 3 wheel recumbant bikes for on the beach. Lots of fun! You can race up and down the beach on those. Kites of course. Surfsand has a volleyball net for your use if you stay there, and it is all set up. There is also a place to do horseback riding on the beach. Ecola State Park on the north edge of town is always a big hit.

The gorge is beautiful and if you like to hike at all, a must. Multnomah Falls is the usual draw, but a few other must see spots along the old scenic highway include the Portland Woman's Forum (odd name, amazing views) and Crown Point Vista House. You will find other spots too of course.

On your way down from Seattle you might include a detour for Mt St Helens. If you do that, definitely stop at Johnston Ridge Observatory and see the short film. It is a highlight and the teens will like it too.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Oops - Reed indeed. Rhodes is in TN - another one my daughter is look at!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

mms - thanks for the tips on CB - I'll start investigating!
With regard to the gorge - are there many places to stay around there or should we make it a day trip from Portland?
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:46 AM

The gorge is an easy day trip from Portland. Most places in the gorge are either basic motels or more romantic places. That said, there is one exception and it is a place that I really love. McMenamins Edgefield, and it is in Troutdale, so pretty much the start of the gorge. It is a fun place and so unique. It used to be the county poor farm years ago, but the McMenamin brothers turned it into a thriving, unique hotel of sorts. It is hard to explain, but it is a hotel, spa, has a winery, brewery, outdoor concerts, etc. They do book up far in advance as well, so if this is a place that you are interested in, I would book asap as well.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM

> should we make it a day trip from Portland?

Make it a LONG day trip from Portland. You'll be stopping at so many views like this
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/6/47...iver_Vista.jpg
that you'll be amazed at how much beauty can be so close to a large city.