Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Packing--now what do I take out so I can close my suitcase???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read all the packing tips: most here on Fodors--
I follow the suggestions of matching outfits, small amounts
toiletries, etc. Of course, cold weather further complicates the problem. As does shoes--I must have a pair for "nice" outfits and my clunky arch support walking shoes and just everyday shoes..
I also always take a small first aid kit (baggie size) AND
a small heating pad with extension, light sweater.
If I need a coat--I carry it with me. Also I have a policy, if I need more warmth--I just buy a "local" sweatshirt...
I must use a small tote bag for medicines and one pair of my lightest shoes..(in case my bag gets lost)
I know one issue--my soft sided suitcase is somewhat heavy- empty !!!
HELP
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Look for any two items that serve the same purpose... say a long sleeve shirt as example, you need just 1, not 2. Sweater or jacket, again just 1, not 2. Like that...

Wear your heaviest shoes on the plane, the second pair only in the suitcase. Buy a lighter suitcase for the next trip!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM

Take everything back out of the suitcase & stack them in piles on the bed... pants one pile, tops the next, outerwear the next, undies and sleepwear... remove one item from each pile.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM

Roll the clothes instead of folding - usually you can cram more in that way without looking like a bag lady when you put them on.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM

Just decide between your everyday shoes and the walking shoes... only bring one pair. Same with the sweater.. one medium weight. Are you SURE you'll need that heating pad? I'd do without and just buy one if needed.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM

We just came back from 6 day trip last night. Weather was very nice. Temperature was in mid 60's for all 7 days. I was wearing T-shirt and a fleece jacket and jeans. I carried only one pair of hiking shoes.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

I would ditch the first aid kit and one pair of shoes--wear the clunky walking shoes, carry the everyday shoes in your carry on and pack the nice shoes. If you can ditch the everyday shoes entirely, do it. Do not bring three fresh pieces for each day of your trip, i.e., pants/shirt/pullover--re-wear as much as possible. Colder weather makes this very doable!
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:00 PM

Instead of a warm sweater I use a polar fleece vest with a long sleeve T Shirt. Polar fleece weighs nothing at all and is so warm. Also, a small space bag holds a lot - I use them often. They add weight though because you can get more in with them.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:41 PM

All suggestions above are good. Definitely no more than 2 pair of shoes. 1 sweater only. The space bag or compression bag is excellent, about $10 at Tartet for a pack of 2 or 3 space bags.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM

I always travel with 3 pair of shoes, though none are particularly for "nice" outfits because I don't take dress-up clothes traveling.

I don't mind wearing the same clothes more than once, but really appreciate being able to change shoes at least twice a day. Ditch some of the clothes instead
;-)
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Wear one pair of shoes & take one pair. There's nothing bulkier. Might want to slip a pair of cheap slippers in that will pack flat.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Oh, I guess for the shoes it depends where you are going. I was thinking of Europe where I walk, walk, walk, way more than I would in some other destinations.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
as long as you wear your bulkiest pair of shoes on the flight, you should easily be able to take 3 pair - One on your feet and two in the bag.

But if you can get by w/ just 2 pair it is even easier. I usually take 3 pair on most trips - but no really big bulky ones
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Great advice as usual--
I now have clothes out in spare room..
3 outfits ALL interchangable tops &pants.black, white and great red fleece vest.--all washable
Wear one outfit and carry sweater (can use this sweater as "wrap" in evening)..
i really 'examined" my shoe needs...found a pair at the Walking Company--blackleather, good support for all day walking and will look good when dressed up in black & white outfit. After all you only see the front part of shoes when wearing long pants !!
I decided if I need some actual "exercise shoes" I'll just buy a pair of New Balance and carry them home...
Being a retired nurse and a bit older than most of you- cannot give up my small first aid kit nor my heating pad for my tired muscles and cold feet...
AND I am searching for a lighter suitcase....
Thanks again to all who took the time to offer suggestions..