Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Packing list for summer in New York (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/packing-list-for-summer-in-new-york-710672/)

IrishGrl Jun 5th, 2007 05:05 AM

Packing list for summer in New York

Help! I am going to New York for the summer soon (to work) and I'm really not organised about what to pack. I won't have tons of space in the suitcase so I don't want to overpack but then I don't want to forget anything either. I've made a list quickly, could anyone let me know if there's stuff I haven't thought about? Am I overpacking with clothes? I could be there up to 4 months and won't be able to do laundry all the time. I will try to handwash what I can.

CLOTHES

- One smart work outfit
- 2 pairs jeans (will wear one on plane)
- 1 pair linen capris
- 1/2 short-ish skirts
- 1 knee length skirt
- 2 casual dresses
- 5-6 sleeveless tops/vest tops
- 1 blouse
- 1 long sleeved T-shirt
- 1 thin hoodie
- 1 sweater
- 1 dressy cardigan
- 1 short, light jacket
- 1 pair ballerina flats
- 1 pair sneakers (will wear on plane)
- 2 pairs flip flops/sandals
- 10 pairs underwear and socks
- Several bras
- Sunglasses

TOILETRIES

- Medication
- Band aids
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Shampoo
- Hairbrush
- Razor
- Deodorant
- Sunscreen

MISC (I need help here!)

- Passport
- Flight documents
- Accomodation info
- Credit card, ATM card and some money
- Emergency phone nos (home, embassy etc)
- Sleeping bag
- Neck pillow
- Book
- MP3 player and charger
- Money belt
- Camera and charger
- Hairdryer
- Notebook
- Umbrella
- Padlock for hostels etc
- Alarm clock
- Plug adapter/transformer?
- Guide books and maps
- Purse/small bag

happytrailstoyou Jun 5th, 2007 05:12 AM

I have GREAT news for your.

You don't need to worry about laundry in NYC!

Most neighborhoods have places where you can take dirty clothes and have them washed and dried for a very reasonable rate.

IrishGrl Jun 5th, 2007 05:15 AM

How much would a load be (approximately)?

happytrailstoyou Jun 5th, 2007 05:27 AM

I left NYC several years ago.

However, when I use similar services in other U.S. cities, I pay about $1 a pound. There is usually a minimum--say $8.

Recently, in Las Vegas I paid $12 for a weeks laundry (clothing only) for two people who like to change clothes often.

Dry cleaning and laundry is typically cheaper in NYC than in most other U.S. cities.

happytrailstoyou Jun 5th, 2007 05:28 AM

I should have added that the service is fast. Drop off in the morning--pick up in the late afternoon or early evening.

lizziea06 Jun 5th, 2007 06:29 AM

The place I take my clothing is .$60 a lb with no minimum. It's difficult to find a place that will take special orders (ex. don't dry this pair of pants). Most of these places will let you do your own laundry in their coin operated machines.

Are you planning on shopping? Make sure you account for any clothing purchases in your planning.

What about a cell phone? Gym or running clothes?

I don't think you're overpacking at all.

GBelle Jun 5th, 2007 06:43 AM

Are you going to work in New York CITY? or elsewhere in New York STATE?

I ask because I was wondering if you are going to be traveling a lot (you mention hostels and sleeping bag) or are you in one location for 4 months?

janie Jun 5th, 2007 10:36 AM

Of course you realize you don't need to bring any of the items in you list of toiletries (other than medication), unless you're attached to your own brands--those kinds of things are probably cheaper here than where you are. You could also consider picking up other things here (hair dryer, books) that could be cheap and save you some packing space
If you are going to be working 5 days a week, you should bring an alternate work outfit. What if it gets stained, torn etc?
Also, it does rain in NYC in the summer-sometimes very heavily. Do you have (or want to buy here) a light rain jacket or poncho? Count on closed shoes for those miserable days too (ballet flats won't work, but I think you'd be OK with sneakers--if you don't mind getting them soaked)

IrishGrl Jun 5th, 2007 01:24 PM

It will be NYC, I'll be staying in a hostel when I first arrive, and then I plan to do some weekend trips to other places but generally I'll be in the same place.

Yeah I might not bother with all the toiletries, but I don't want to be worrying about buying toothpaste etc on arrival. I'll just bring the end of the tube and stock up more later. I will be on a tight budget so I will be trying not to buy lots of new clothes. Perhaps a rain jacket and shoes.

I need to buy a cell phone when I get there since mine won't work over there. I usually bring jogging pants to change into during the flight and I'll be wearing sneakers on the flight also.

As for the work outfit, I will probably have a job with a uniform. I'm bringing a smart outfit just in case it doesn't work out and I need to look for something else. I will be bringing a light jacket with me and an umbrella, but planning to buy a more waterproof cheap jacket on arrival.

nytraveler Jun 5th, 2007 04:57 PM

Your wardrobe will depend a lot on the job. If you get one with a uniform you'll be OK.

Otherwise you may have problems. Granted, most companies (but not all) have business casual - but in many jeans, sneakers and tees will not make it as business casual - you would need somethings nicer - either more skirts or better pants/nice tops. The days of wearing a suit every day are gone - but many companies still won;t let you do jeans and sneakers.

IrishGrl Jun 6th, 2007 02:23 AM

Of course I would never wear jeans and sneakers to work! That stuff is intended for casual wear. I am waiting to hear from a contact about a hotel job, if I get that, it will be a dress code/uniform so I know what to bring. I am also bringing a white shirt, dress shoes and black trousers/skirt in case that one doesn't work out and I need to get something else. I don't really want to bring a ton of work clothes 'just in case', I guess if I end up needing them I'll have to find something over there.

mclaurie Jun 6th, 2007 03:21 AM

I would forget the hairdryer (unless it's one you adore) and buy one here. It will work better than one from home with an adapter. If you use British pounds, remember your money is almost worth twice ours, so 1 pound is $2. While you don't want to spend all the money you earn, I would pick what you bring carefully.

Others on this forum recommend making copies of your passport, visa etc. and keeping them in a separate place should the originals get lost or stolen.

Make sure you contact your bank and credit card co. and alert them you will be in the US. Have you considered how you'll handle the money you make while here? I'm not sure if you can open a bank account here or whether you'll have to deposit it to your account at home.

Sounds to me like you're very organized. Relax. I hope it's a great summer for you. ;)

IrishGrl Jun 6th, 2007 09:22 AM

Yes I will buy a hairdryer there, I heard the difference in voltage makes it a lot less powerful and my hairdryer isnt that great anyway. Is it warm enough in the mornings to just airdry hair maybe?

My visa sponsor said I can open a bank account there to put my wages into. I will also bring my ATM and credit cards and leave all the details with my parents in case anything is stolen or lost.

lizziea06 Jun 6th, 2007 09:28 AM

You can purchase an inexpensive and compact hair dryer from Duane Reade for less than $20. Hair and summer in NYC almost never mix - the humidity is AWFUL. I personally use on one everyday, not an air dry girl. You'll have to make that call for yourself.

IrishGrl Jun 6th, 2007 10:36 AM

OK I'll do that, its probably better than bringing my hairdryer.