Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Packing for Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/packing-for-maui-112856/)

Marie Mar 17th, 2001 05:24 AM

Packing for Maui

Is there anything you would recommend taking that you didn't think of till it was too late, for example a compact cooler for picnics. Do you really need that winter coat for the sunrise at Haaleakala or will the blanket from your bed do??? Things like this.........

Tammy Mar 17th, 2001 06:01 AM

Bring a lot of sunscreen and more film than you think you'll ever use. They're both expensive over there. I recommend buying at least one disposable panoramic camera. If you've never used one, you should for Hawaii. They take a 3 1/2" x 10" photo. If you plan on snorkeling, a disposable under water camera is a good idea too.

Joy Mar 17th, 2001 09:09 AM

You really do need a winter coat, hat and gloves for visiting Haleakala. We were there the second week of November - it was very cold, fortunately, we had worn winter clothes. But, even then we were uncomfortable. Many people had no winter protection, they were freezing. People who used hotel blankets were shivering. It's very cold early in the morning so high up - but well worth the trip. <BR>You can easily buy styrofoam coolers at nearly every store. Also, anything forgotten can be bought in Hawaii. <BR>Disposable cameras take very good snapshots. Hats or caps are a good idea because of the intensity of the sun. They are easy to take, or fun to buy in Hawaii. <BR>

Lori Mar 19th, 2001 08:09 PM

~From experience if you're planning on hiking, pack a mosquito repellent lotion. Avon's Skin-so-soft is very effective and you'll be glad you did. If you're exploring tidepools, buy a pair of aqua mesh shoes ($5). These will help grip the slippery ocean rocks. Buy a Hawaiian Entertainment Book for great discounts on hotels, rental cars, food and activities. We now pack our ski jackets so we can fully enjoy the mind-blowing sunrises at Haleakala. Mountain Riders has an awesome downhill bike ride that's not to be missed. Bring a video camera for the spectacular views. Pack binoculars if your planning on whale watching. Enjoy your vacation!

lisa Mar 20th, 2001 07:37 AM

We travel light (carryons only) and decided not to bring winter coats -- we wore 5 layers (tank top, t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, sweater, windbreaker with hood) plus blue jeans, thick socks, hiking boots, and hats, and we were still freezing and could not stay outside very long for the sunrise, mainly because of the wind. The minute that sun was above the horizon we dashed for the car and cranked up the heat. It really is very cold up there. However, if I were doing it again I still would not bring a winter coat. I don't think it would be worth it to bring a winter coat all the way to Hawaii and lug it around the whole time you're there just to wear it for 30 minutes, and to be honest I think you'd still be cold even with the winter coat, mainly because of the wind.

Beth Mar 20th, 2001 09:18 AM

Marie, <BR> <BR>If you plan on doing the sunrise bike trip, the bike companies will provide you with fleece and gotex to keep warm at the top. As you bike downhill, you will begin to shed the layers. It is well worth the trip. And yes, it is very cold at the top. <BR> <BR>Bug repelant, flash light, hat, film,