Search

NYC Shopping!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:25 PM
H

NYC Shopping!!!!

Please!! Does anyone know where to shop for urban/street/funky/stylish clothing and shoes??? I really don't like designer clothes, well i do, but quite frankly the price tag doesn't appeal to me.
Love shopping for accessories also, ie. bags, scarves, hair things, etc!!!
My price target will be under $200, so if anyone can help, please do.

Also i have read about the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets located 1 hr away from Manhatten. It would cost $34 for a round trip for Grayline bus to take me there.
Are there any other cheaper alternatives to getting there??? Is it really worth going there in the first place???
Thanks in advance!!!

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Philip

If you are in or near NYC then you need to go to Soho. Many good stores around Broadway/Canal Street. Try Canal Jeans at 504 Broadway.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Mike

Ditto on the SOHO thing. You can take the NR to BWay&Canal. Head uptown from there, the right side of the street I find to be a little better. There is a place called Dome Boutique which has some cool stuff at checper prices. You may want to head down 8th street to St Marks Place in teh East Village to Trash&Vaudeville. There is some great used CD shopping on that block too. Also worth mentioning is H&M at 5th Ave and about 50th. It's kinda like "EuroGap", good prices.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:40 AM
rqf

There are no cheaper transportation options to Woodbury Commons. If more than two people are involved it would be cost effective to rent a car if you decided to visit. Personally don't think it is worth it but I am not a shopper.You can get more information at http://www.plj.com:5146/get/woodburycommons/

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Beth

I would give a 2nd 3rd and 4th vote for H&M also called Hennes and Margolis!!!! It is wonderful for inexpensive trendy clothes. it started out as a chain across Paris, London, and soon the rest of Europe. The one in Manhattan is the only one currently in US but they are hoping to open stores in LA and chicago soon. I would say its closest relative is "Express" but the clothes are mu much funkier, very Euro and cutting edge. The pries however are more like our Express or Gap, I mean it is a chain not designer label.

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:50 AM
sandy

I also agree with SOHO. By the way Beth, there is an H&M store in my town of Albany, NY. We're not a hotbed of trendiness, so I'd guess that they are spreading as rapidly as any other mass chain store. It is a fun place though.

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Matt

SOHO or the the East Village are the best places for trendy clothes and shoes.

Woodbury Commons is NOTHING SPECIAL, but I do like it. It has the same stores as any other outlet mall, but since its HUGE, it has them all. Ever since outlet stores became an industry within their own right (almost every large metropolitan region seems to have at least one), brands now make goods for direct sale at the company stores, and its not always the same quality as you would find in a normal retail store.

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Mike

Oh yeah, shoes. You have to stop by a Steve Madden, I think there's one on B'Way in SOHO.

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Tracey

I agree with everybody, don't waste your time at Woodbury. Those outlets can be found in any other city. Shop at Canal Street Jeans, or hit St. Mark's place for some funky tee's. There are also alot of flea markets on the weekends. Check NY Times website for places.

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:59 AM
newyorker

Woodbury common, unlike most outlet malls, is filled with high end designer names. Personally I don't buy much when I'm there (but it's in a nice area for a drive, so I go a couple of times/year anyway...).
If you covet designer names (look at the website for store details) you can get some relatively good deals.
Over holiday weekends (e.g. Memorial day) they often have sidewalk sales with drastically reduced merchandise.
If you're only hoping to spend $200 total, I wouldn't bother going, there won't be much for you...

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Caitlin

There are two H&M stores in Manhattan; at Fifth Ave. and 50th St. and on 34th St. near Broadway/Sixth Ave. H&M is a Swedish chain. According to their web site, there are currently 17 stores in the US, 14 of which are in New York State.

I concur on H&M and Canal Jean for inexpensive, hip clothes. Also check out Ricky's drug stores, on Broadway near 4th St. and Broadway btn. Houston and Prince, for hair accessories and cosmetics. They're affordable and fashion-forward.

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Kailyn

SAMPLE SALES...Go to www.nysale.com to find out details for sample sales going on in the garment district. Most of these sales are during the weekdays though, 9-5. Also if you can get your hands on a Time Out NY, it will tell you other sample sale info for the week.

Good luck!