Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pacific Northwest Dream Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pacific-northwest-dream-vacation-559565/)

mrkindallas Sep 19th, 2005 02:03 PM

Pacific Northwest Dream Vacation

I am in the beginning stages of planning an extensive trip to the Pacific Northwest and I've seen quite a few questions on this forum regarding this region, but not very many trip reports or final itineraries.

The trip will be mid-Sept to mid-Oct in either 2006 or 2007 (yes, very early planning stages) and can be as long as 4-5 weeks.

I would like to see Seattle, Victoria, Olympic National Park, Mount Rainier, Kitsap Peninsula, Port Townsend, Vancouver Island, Tofino, Orcas, San Juan Islands and any other places recommended by Fodorites within that region.

I can't even figure out where to begin with putting an order together for the itinerary...what order has worked for anyone visiting any of these places?

Also, if you have any recommendations as to lodgings, sights, etc., please post.

I enjoy cabin/cottage type accomodations, but B&Bs could be okay here and there -- as well as camping (preferably not primitive) if it's necessary.

I enjoy day hiking, whale watching, any other wildlife viewing, kayaking, sailing, and general eco-tourism things as well as the normal touristy things in the larger cities.

So, please post as to what you have done and enjoyed and what worked for you. Also, if you could take this trip, what would you do?

Thanks for all your time and help!!!

WxWyWz Sep 19th, 2005 02:53 PM

ttt If you responded before please post again as the previous one was deleted.

suze Sep 19th, 2005 03:11 PM

My post before added to your list, with what I think is most spectacular in Washington... the North Cascades highway (places in and around Winthrop, Mazama, Leavenworth, etc.)

I also mentioned that Budget Travel magazine had a great road trip mapped out in the area. I think it was in the May issue this year. They are free on the web now so you could check www.budgettravelonline.com

Mt Rainier's OK and all but I find it more impressive when viewed on the skyline in the distance from the city than when you're hiking on it. And maybe I've lived in Seattle too long but the peninsula and rain forests just don't do a thing for me.

I do love all the islands, definitely will grant you that.

Maybe would you want to include some beach time out to the Washington coast?

dsquared Sep 19th, 2005 04:48 PM

Hi Mr. K

Sorry that your previous posted was deleted in its entirety. That was unfortunate.

I had replied with a website (www.guidetosanjuans.com) which has info on kayaking and sailing in the San Juan islands. You'll also find many "beach cabin" type accommodations in the San Juans. It's a great destination for eco-tourism.

Early September is a wonderful time to visit the Pac. NW.

Hope you enjoy and have a wonderful trip.

Scarlett Sep 19th, 2005 05:33 PM

Keeping this at the Top~

artlover Sep 19th, 2005 06:23 PM

WOW, suze! How long have you been here? I've been here 14 years and Mt. Rainer--both from a distance and hiking--still thrill me, as do the OP and Rain Forest.

I agree about the San Juan Islands--very magical, and they're all a bit different depending on what you like. From what you're saying, I think you might like Orcas and Lopez, but they're all great.

Another area that's nearby and easy to get to and less travelled is the Mt. Baker area around Glacier. Really great hiking and gorgeous scenery.

And yes, the North Cascades are incredible too.

There are a number of websites that can provide great information, but I can't find my list now, but if you goggle Washington State, I bet you can find them. (It might be nwsource.com?)

floridagetawaygal Sep 19th, 2005 06:56 PM

On Vancouver Island, if you have a chance go to the Tofino area. It's beautiful. The Long Bech Lodge is an awesome resort on the beach with fireplaces. There are lots of trails and parks.

PamSF Sep 19th, 2005 10:47 PM

oh dear~I will try to remember some of what I posted.

Since you will be in the area for such an extended period, I definitely reecommend a stay in Vancouver,BC. We stayed at O'Canada House and loved it.
The city is beautiful, clean and is filled with great and varied places to eat.

In Victoria we have stayed at Abigail's which I would recommend all over again. You must visit the Royal Museum there. The first peoples exhibit alone will provide you with great history on the native peoples of the area pre and post "contact".

We have also spent time in the Gulf Islands between Vancouver Island and the mainland. We were at the Oceanwood on Mayne but I would also suggest you check out Salt SPring Island.

Take the ferries any chance you get. It's a wonderful way to traverse the region and provides you with some stellar scenery. Consider taking the ferry across from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend and then out to the Park. We have stayed a few places on Whidbey but The Inn at Langley was the nicest.

We stayed at Lake Cresent Lodge in the motel part others have described. It was a great place from which to explore the park. I read one of the best books in my life sitting in an adirondack chair facing the lake.

Of the San Juans, I like Lopez the best. I found it to be very laid back. We stayed at The Inn at Swifts Bay. I remember taking a hot tub by the light of the moon there. We were personally less taken with Orcas. San Juan Island seems to have the most going on.

In Seattle we have often stayed at either the Gaslight Inn (B&B on Capitol Hill) or The Inn at the Market(right above Pike Market). Either would be great.Rooms at the Inn at the Market will be more$$. We recently made reservations for Inn at Harbor Steps based on lots of good reviews.(Queen standard was $200/noc).

Get the Best Places Guide to the Pacific Northwest.

Many folks can give you great tips on the region. Pay particular attention to Gardyloo's suggestions..the heartbeat of the region IMO.

Also post on the Canada board for tips on Vancouver Island and Vancouver,BC.

BTW~car rental at Sea-Tac is immensely simple. The vendors are across the sky bridge in the parking terminal.

DO NOT MISS Pure Foods Seafood in Pike Market. We always(we travel there once a year at least) bring salmon(smoked and fresh) home and have it shipped to us throughout the year for special occassions. They will wrap the fish for air transport as you leave Seattle.

BTilke Sep 20th, 2005 04:27 AM

I think your trip sounds perfect! I like the idea of building extra time into each area, if only to sit and relax. One of my favorite things in Port Townsend was to take my morning latte down to the edge of the pier and just watch the water, the birds, the clouds.

The Port Townsend tourist office is very helpful. Contact them; they will give you lots of good advice tailored to what you like to do. I learned a lot about the region's ecosystem from the small instructional cruises sponsored by the local Marine Science Center.

I would add Portland, OR, to your list.

Sunset Magazine has some good suggestions in their travel section. Go to:
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/travel/northwest

Enjoy!

mrkindallas Sep 20th, 2005 05:51 AM

Thank you all for taking the time to repeat your recommendations (also Kinch who replied to a different posting)...I do REALLY REALLY appreciate it.

I like every single one of them and will definitely look into all the accomodations and activities that you suggest.

BTilke mentioned a sort of educational opportunity through the Marine Science Center. Does anyone know of anything else similar throughout the region? I like to turn my vacations into hands-on learning. I'm interested in things that would be good for both adults and children.

Also, does anyone have any recommendation as to what order to see everything in? I'm wondering if it would be best to fly into Canada (for the earlier warmer weather) and then do somewhat of a circular trip?

Also, if anyone else has any favorite websites for the area, please post.

Thank you all so much. This is the first time that I'm planning a vacation by starting here rather than starting completely from scratch with absolutely no knowledge...and this is such the better way to go...especially when trying to cover so many stops.

Thanks again!!

Fodorite018 Sep 20th, 2005 06:08 AM

Sounds like it will be a great trip!

A wonderful place to stay in Port Townsend is the Morgan Hill Guest Cottage (http://www.morganhilldesign.com/guestcottage/).

Is there anything specific that you are looking at the Kitsap Peninsula for?

Others have given you some great ideas, so I won't repeat them. Just keep in mind that by mid October some of the areas will have some snow. So plan for that, and possibly put those areas on the front end of the trip (unless you want the snow).

PamSF Sep 20th, 2005 08:23 AM

You might check out (I think this is the name) The Olympic Institute. It is part of the park system and has hands on sessions.

The Royal Museum no doubt has some interesting lectures. I repeat, the First People's exhibit is a must.

Someone else will have to come forward here but there is a fort on Whidbey (old) that probably has tours etc.

The Dungeness Spit is wonderful to walk along. Check out the city of Sequim for details. While in Sequim we stayed at the Juan de Fuca Cottages which were nothing fancy but everything comfortable.

You are travelling at a great time. I will start to rain probably but the crowds will have died down and the air will be crisp at certain points.

aKAT Sep 20th, 2005 09:37 AM

If you like Whale watching I recommend spending at least 3 days on San Juan island. The ferry will dock at Friday harbor. If you won't have a car - then there are many places to stay right in town. But if you do have a car - in my opinion - the best places to stay are far from town. I like 'Inn to the Woods' bed and breakfast. If you have a ton of money - stay at Highland Inn (need reservations way in advance though). Since you said you like whales - you will love Limn Kiln Point ont eh west side of the island. The whales literally pass right next to shore. Forget spending money on whale watches - I have done that and did not get near to teh exposure of whales that you can at Limn Kiln point. Sit by the lighthouse on th rocks- bring a book - relax.. Grab dinner at Kings market at Friday harbor and bring it with us to Limn Kiln - sit on the rocks watch the sunset - watch for whales... The best time of year for any of the san juan islands is July through september. Any other time is rainy and COLD! The inn keepers will tell you taht it is a great time to visit in teh winter and fall.. but -you can't kayak in teh wild winter ocean and it is just usually cold. kayaking is a can't miss. The kayaking with crystal seas is excellant - they leave from Snug harbor which is on the west side of teh island. That is close to the whales. If you kayak from Friday harbor - you will never get the chance to kayak along side the whales. I was lucky enough to have that opportunity! I've gone with 4 different kayaking companies there - Crystal seas is the best - small groups and nice comfy kayaks.

aKAT Sep 20th, 2005 09:46 AM

Also --- Don't miss Orcas Island. It IS the most mountainous of all the San Juan Islands. You like to hike? This is perfect. Mount Constitution is beautiful. The look out tower at the top provides breathtaking views. In town - Bilbos mexican restaurant is very good as well. I have stayed at Turtleback farm inn- it was really nice. Orcas has many outdoor potteries and metal art.

suze Sep 20th, 2005 11:10 AM

artlover- since you asked i've been here almost 25 years. i simply prefer the high mountains (clear and dry) and the north cascades highway more than the peninsula (which i find lush, mossy, damp, dreary). i also love love love the coast and the ocean.

flygirl Sep 20th, 2005 11:27 AM

of your list, I visited:

Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver Island, Tofino. Be sure to spend some time in Vancouver itself if you can, it's really lovely there. Victoria or Vancouver would be high on my places to live one day - and Seattle too (although Victoria gets much better weather and Vancouver I believe does as well).

I started to write a trip report but as usual got sidetracked and didn't get very far. Will start up again with restos and so on and more pictures. I have a new one for New Zealand to start up too.

If you have not already, I'd post this on the Canada board too.

I did a lot of flying - since you have more time you may wish to do more ferries, but, this area is simply stunning from the air. assuming good viz that is.

I started in Vancouver, flew to Tofino, then flew to Victoria, then flew to Seattle.

definitely read up on many nature/outdoorsy things to do. this area is simply loaded with natural beauty. If you click on my name you'll see my trip report, such as it is (a bare start).

tovarich Sep 21st, 2005 06:41 AM

If you want to have the trip of your life I would include the following in your planning :
- After visiting the Vancouver area drive to Jasper(Alberta) and then drive South along the Columbia icefields to Banff.One of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Then cross the Canadian-American border and take the"going to the sun" route(Glacier national park.Magnificent. Then you can return to Seattle. Paul

ellen_griswold Sep 21st, 2005 07:01 AM

Hmm, why was the original thread deleted?

I had posted to the original, also. We stayed in Pt. Townsend at the Harbouview Motel, an independent across from the bay. Nice pool, private balcony. We used Captain Jack's for a whale watching tour, located on same bay across the street and were very pleased.

Also stayed in Crescent Lake Lodge, motel part. Nice decor, private balcony with partial view of lake. Try to stay there, its great for Hurricane Ridge especially.

Hoh Rainforest is a must. No food within, so plan accordingly. A 'Hard RAIN Cafe' just outside the park serves up yummy burgers and lots of interesting tourist conversations!

Another must see IMO is Mt. St. Helens. Loved Mt. Rainier too but Mt. St. Helens is a prime example of nature regeneration (or whatever the heck its called!!)

Ocean Shores, WA is a beach town, but what a beach, the widest we've seen. They also have horseback riding on the beach, unique (for us) and quite memorable. Skip Moclips...!

Oh, and try to do the Boeing Tour, just north of Seattle. Go EARLY to get tickets as they go FAST.

Have a good one!

suspire Sep 21st, 2005 07:23 AM

>> BTilke mentioned a sort of educational opportunity through the Marine Science Center. Does anyone know of anything else similar throughout the region?

Also check out -
Pacific Science Center: http://www.pacsci.org
The Burke Museum: http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/
The Whale Museum at Friday Harbor: http://www.whale-museum.org/
Museum of Flight: http://www.museumofflight.org/
and more: http://www.scn.org/edu/museums/

mrkindallas Sep 21st, 2005 08:17 AM

Thank you all so much for reposting and adding to the information you provided before.

To answer why the original post was deleted, it was an accident by Fodor's - in trying to delete a post within the thread that violated guidelines, the entire thread was accidentally deleted.

You have all provided me a great amount of information that will definitely get me started in the right direction with planning...and I've e-mailed it to myself so that it won't get lost again. :)

Once I work out more details, I'll post again for comments.

Thanks again!! You are all great!