Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have about a week to spend on vacation in August and wanted to fly into LA, drive the Pacific Coast Highway and finish in San Francisco. We wanted to spend a few days in LA, San Francisco and ideally two nights somewhere along the way. I would love to find a beach front inn or hotel that we could stay at for a day or two of R&R somewhere along the drive. I have been to San Francisco before and have an idea of what I want to do in LA, so really I am looking for suggestions of where to stop along the Pacific Coast Highway and what to see. Thanks!!
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 02:34 PM

We always like to stay in Pismo Beach because the town has several mid-priced, ocean front hotels.

Some popular stops on the route are Santa Barbara, Cambria (for the Hearst Castle), Carmel-by-the-Sea (for the cute town), and Monterey (for the aquarium).

We always enjoy the drive on Highway 1 from Santa Cruz to San Francisco. We like the rooms with balcony and ocean view at Beach House Halfmoon Bay.

HTtY
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pismo or Cambria would be nice!
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Well Pismo is only a couple of hours north of LA. Better to get closer to half way up the coast to SF IMO. I'd suggest Cambria, or San Simeon near the Hearst Castle as a place to stop. Plenty of beach front hotels in that area. If you plan to visit the Castle, you can buy Tix on line and do the tours back to back so you don't have to come up and down the hill each time.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 04:17 PM

Cambria is only 45 miles from Pismo Beach, which is actually farther from Los Angeles than kleroux suggests, more like hours. I think either Cambria or Pismo Beach would be a nice stop.
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 02:09 PM

You didn't mention how much your hoping to pay for the hotel along the way. Pismo Beach might work. The Green Gables Inn in Pacific Grove might be an option too: http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 02:10 PM

Arg, you're, not your.
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you want to do a one way car rental anyway, why not fly to SFO or OAK and make the trip southbound? On the southbound trip along the coast it is easier and safer to make right turns into the overlooks IMO.
Skip the downtown San Francisco part since you've already seen it.
Another town to consider is Santa Barbara.
Old Apr 26th, 2015, 06:39 PM

Just be aware of car week on the Monterey Peninsula if you're planning to stop here. It's the second week in August and accommodations are difficult to come by.
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all of the advice! You al have suggested some great places. One question... at any of these locations, are any of the beaches/ weather appropriate for swimming... or is it too cool? I just remember SF being in about the 50's in mid July and wonder if the whole coast is like this as well. Thanks!!!
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 07:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The two sandy beaches I remember visiting in California are Ano Nuevo about 55 miles south of SF (South of Pigeon Point) and near Goleta off the campus of UCSB. In Goleta there were a few surfers. You'll have to judge the ocean water temp for yourself. I know some polar bear swimmers that swim in Oregon in February.
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 09:00 AM

IMO, anything north of Santa Barbara is too cold for swimming.
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 11:44 AM
SAB

It is the water temps in the Pacific that makes swimming in Central and Northern California undesirable. Basically in the low to mid 50"s most of the time. In addition many beaches have heavy surf and/or riptides.
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
During the summer, most hotels along the coast have a 2-night minimum stay between Friday (sometimes Thursday) and Sunday, so plan your stops with that in mind.

Driving PCH between the Santa Monica Pier and the west (but most think north) end of Malibu is slow going on summer weekends. This summer, due to some highway construction where the 10 Freeway ends at Coast Hwy. 1, the drive will be slow both weekdays and weekends. If you're coming from or heading to LAX, add more time.