Pacifi Northwest - Is October Too Cold

Sep 12th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Pacifi Northwest - Is October Too Cold

My wife and i are thinking of visiting the Pacific Northwest in middle October for 7 days. We know we will go to Seattle. Have to choose whether to go to Vancouver/Victoria or Oregon wine country.

What's the weather in middle of October like typically? Although not outdoorsy hiking types, we do like to roam around the countryside and visit, have picnics, eat good food. Will it be too cold? Any other input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:10 AM

Hi LDLee ~ I am sure you will get many replies, but when I lived there 13 years ago, September and October were among the best months in Seattle.
If you don't receive many replies, check out www.weather.com for averages, but again when I lived there, the fall was SO lovely, often much nicer than June and July!

Have fun, there is a lot of good info here on this area!
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Define too cold. I visted Seattle in February of last year, and while it was definately chilly, it was certainly nicer than February where I live (Chicago) There were a couple of sunny days that I very much enjoyed spending outdoors (with a coat on of course).
Sep 12th, 2006, 05:50 AM
mms

Early October is usually pretty nice here (I am in Portland, used to live in Seattle), but that is right when it starts to change. So, it just depends on your luck. Most likely you will have fairly decent weather, but with at least some rain. Either way, I would not count on doing any picnicing.

I have only visited Victoria and Vancouver, but from what I hear from residents is that Victoria has less rain than Seattle, so that might be a good place to spend your extra time. Plus, it is easy to get to from Seattle, or you venture over to the Olympic Peninsula and visit Port Townsend and then get to Victoria from Port Angeles. With just 7 days though, don't try to do too much.
Sep 12th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Yes, October is the month the PNW's weather changes to rain. But you might get lucky - the weather is also unpredictable at that time of year. I would plan on being flexible.

Andrew
Sep 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Many apartments with central heating don't turn it on until after mid-October.
Sep 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM

As an Oregonian, I can't believe I'm recommending this, but why not visit Washington's wine country instead? It's on the east side of the Cascades, where you're guaranteed a drier climate. And they're making some very fine wines there.
Sep 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM

October could go either way. Could be sunny and mild or rainy and cold. Sorry to have no good answer but I've been here 20 years now and it's an impossible month to predict.
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Thank you Suze! I was starting to think that maybe the weather had changed that much in 13 years, lol. I was lucky enough to live in the Pacific Northwest for 3 years and each fall we had gorgeous weather, sometimes even nicer days than the summer months. I guess I was lucky. You are right, it is hard to predict, anywhere really, what the weather will be like.

Have fun LDLee, it is such a lovely area, and regardless of the weather, everyone is always active, enjoying the outdoors.
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:53 PM
samting

You gotta love the weather here; usually cool and misty at that time of year (yes, I live here) but anything goes this year...we have had a real drought! So can't advise, but if you are coming for the culture and don't mind a little damp, please come! We never wear rain gear, and go anyway, anywhere. It is not usually a downpour, but a gentle drip, drip, drip....love it, love it...fog and rain are my thing.

Sep 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM

OR wine country is great but with only 7 days the vineyards around Yakima and Walla Walla WA may make a great easy trip and have a better shot at staying dry!
Sep 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I went to Seattle the week before Halloween last year. The weather was beautiful 3 of the 4 days I was there. I am normally cold and I was comfortable walking around with a jacket; it was cold on the water (on a boat trip) but bearable.
I felt terrbile for my husband- the only day he could tour we went to Vancouver and it POURED but I don't think it rained in Seattle!