Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   PA to BMI most Cheaply ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pa-to-bmi-most-cheaply-538336/)

travlingjen Jun 21st, 2005 07:24 AM

PA to BMI most Cheaply ??

Hi, Everybody,

I live in central Pennsylvania and decided to try something new in order to save travel $$, but it seems to be backfiring on me. I've selected a SW flight from Baltimore, which was half the cost of a local flight, but it seems in Park&Fly hotels and gas for my car, I'm paying the same amount, basically, with the added inconvenience of driving 4 hours each way.
Amtrak schedules are not working, and the bus doesn't seem to, either.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can get to Baltimore airport, park my car and get on the early flight the cheapest? Are the airport LT parking lots convenient? Somehow I got the idea that they fill up quickly (I'm going Aug 2nd) I had planned to go there the night before, and rest up before my trip, but at this point, everything is costing so much that I'm about to cancel altogether.

Any advice you could give me would be most appreciated. Thanx

bluestructure Jul 1st, 2005 09:32 AM

Some hotels may let you keep your car in their lot while your gone if you stay there. You can always just cancel your SWA flight and you'll have a credit to use for up to a year on a future flight, they won't charge you a cancellation fee. Where in PA do you live that it takes 4 hrs? You do know that SWA flys out of Pitt and Philly right?

happymz Jul 4th, 2005 01:56 PM

I second the recommendation to call airport hotels to see if you can park for free if you're staying before/after your trip...it's a great deal if you can get it. Also would recommend going on the BWI aiport website for transport info...I wouldn't be surprised if there were bus charters to BWI from Harrisburg or York and you could perhaps drive there and park in a lot for free then bus to the airport.

Andrew Jul 4th, 2005 02:31 PM

Yeah, travelingjen, Southwest has no cancellation fees. If the same fare and flights are available now out of PHL or PIT, I would cancel the BWI reservation and go with one or the other if it is closer, even if the cost is the same you don't have to drive as far!

Andrew

birgator Jul 4th, 2005 02:36 PM

I once did the very same thing (although driving from Mifflintown, PA to Baltimore is just about two hours) but couldn't remember where I stayed. This is what I found: Ramada at BWI offers one package at $100 for the night, the cheapest, and includes 10 days of free parking and a shuttle to take you to the terminal. Check with your travel agent, since I don't believe I paid nearly that much (but it's been a few years).

The airport long term parking is quite convenient, and I never had a problem finding a spot, but I also don't remember how much it was. Seems airport hotels won't really let you "park for free" unless they're quite pricey for a room (and that's what you're trying to avoid, yes?, Off site parking seems to run about $6-7 a day.

I doubt you can find a shuttle/bus from Hbg -- which is going to be a drive for you anyway (?) plus parking there.

B/